Help I really love this radio stuff just getting into it I need to find someone else that lived in Towns County and can help me understand the nxdn an

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Is there anything ANYTHING CHEEPER or comparable like in 100$ range under 200$
Unfortunately no. If you want to monitor SOLELY NXDN conventional you could look for a used NX-210 or something similar, but after buying the programming cable and software you would be looking at several hundred minimum. And again this would only work on conventional, you can't monitor any type of trunked systems on Kenwood commercial radios. So I would think a used 325P2 is your best option.

N8IAA

@Tbwooten3
I'm over near you in Clay county NC and I use the BCD325P2 with NXDN upgrade to monitor Towns county. I program with Pro-Scan software. This was the least expensive option for me to get back into scanning. Others are using NXDN radios:
All Union county public safety
Clay county public safety
Union county schools
Blue ridge EMC
Tri-State power
Rabun county police
It was worth the upgrade price for me.

Nobody talks about the cost of the upgrade plus the price of the scanner.
Oh, you just need to upgrade for $$$
Not helping the OP at all.:rolleyes:

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is ran code???
That is similar to a CTCSS (PL) tone or DCS (DPL) tone on analog conventional frequencies. Only signals transmitting that code will be received even though there may be several agencies using the same frequency. Digital conventional frequencies use a P25 NAC (network access code), DMR a color code, or NXDN a RAN code.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Last edited:

Tbwooten3

Nxdn conventional radios there has to be more options what can I Google to find digital nxdn conventional radio for me
Wouxun KG-935G GMRS Two Way Radio
$149.99 when you say enable can I look up digital scanner (radio) and then enable it I'm confused there can't be only 2 types of enable Radios out there tyt? Bofang??

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Nxdn conventional radios there has to be more options what can I Google to find digital nxdn conventional radio for me
Wouxun KG-935G GMRS Two Way Radio
$149.99 when you say enable can I look up digital scanner (radio) and then enable it I'm confused there can't be only 2 types of enable Radios out there tyt? Bofang??
Those are analog conventional radios, they won't help you. The only traditional radios that support NXDN conventional are made by Kenwood and Icom. So you can either get a Kenwood or ICOM radio that specifically supports NXDN, or you can get one of the scanners mentioned previously.

If you wanna go really cheap, you could try to get a small laptop with DSD+ Fastlane and a rtl sdr dongle.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
N.O.S. EFJ, EF Johnson 7514 VHF 2 Meter* Portable 144*-174 MHz, 5 Watt,W/Charger???
Unfortunately no. NXDN is a relatively new protocol. The XTS radios you mentioned earlier are made by Motorola, Motorola makes nothing that support NXDN.

If you want a traditional radio to monitor NXDN conventional you should look for something from Kenwood. You can find a lot of used stuff on eBay, the Kenwood radios which support NXDN start with "NX".

You will also need programming software and a cable, the software for older Kenwood radios (I.e. pre-nx 3000) is pretty inexpensive.

Edit: I should also mention that unlike a scanner, commercial radios won't display what RAN code the system is using, you have to know beforehand. So you better make sure you 100% verify this with DSD+ Fastlane before you buy a commercial radio (assuming you really want to go that route).

Also you must be 100% sure it's a NXDN conventional (NOT trunked) system. IF it's a NXDN trunked system no commercial radio will monitor it, and the only option besides DSD+ Fastlane would be a scanner.

Last edited:
Uniden BC355N is this one nxdn conventional?
No

That's an Analog scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.