• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help / Ideas Equipment install for a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhubert123

Hello fellow members,

I am getting ready to buy either a family member's 2000 Crew Cab Ford F-350 XL work truck -OR- an older 1987 International S-1600 crew cab truck. It does have a Manual Trans, so floor installs / consoles won't do
and it's time to start thinking about the personal touch of equipment.
I'd prefer to keep the install clean and as simple as possible.

The list of equipment I'd like to install is:
CB
UHF/VHF 2-way radio for biz. use
Mobile Scanner
-Need ideas on one that can pickup Railroad frequencies(160 ish MHz range), 800-900 MHz, and WX.
Laptop Mount
HD Power Inverter
Antenna's for CB, Scanner, and commercial 2-way radio.
-Thoughts on what antennas would be best and most likely not get any interference from each other.
Control boxes/switches for along with
-Mini Light bar
-Traffic Director

The pics are not new of the ford, since have installed a new bed. Cab rack is no longer on anymore.
I posted a few pictures of the basics for my situation. It has the bench seat (Front and back.)

The international truck Pics have a service body with a crane on it, but I won't get the body/crane. Just a Cab and Chassis. Here's the link to the IH truck.
Postimage.org / gallery - 87 #4, IMG 20130503 113717, IMG 20130503 113840, IMG 20130503 113846

Attachments

• 2000 f350 XL 4.jpg
    2000 f350 XL 4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,706
  • f350 2.jpg
    f350 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,215
  • f350 4.jpg
    f350 4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,296

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A floor shifter can make it difficult. You may want to consider overhead mounting.

2000 Ford F-350 VDP Shelf-It Overhead Storage Shelf

The above should work for everything but the laptop.

Jotto Desk Universal Mobile Laptop Mount

I had something like this in my truck back in the late 70s, minus the laptop of course, which held a scanner, CB, electronic siren, light control switch panel, cassette player, and a .357 Magnum.

I ran the wiring down through the A post, and along the ceiling for the antennas and light bar, for a nice clean install.

Last edited:

mhubert123

A floor shifter can make it difficult. You may want to consider overhead mounting.

2000 Ford F-350 VDP Shelf-It Overhead Storage Shelf

The above should work for everything but the laptop.

Jotto Desk Universal Mobile Laptop Mount

I had something like this in my truck back in the late 70s, minus the laptop of course, which held a scanner, CB, electronic siren, light control switch panel, cassette player, and a .357 Magnum.

I ran the wiring down through the A post, and along the ceiling for the antennas and light bar, for a nice clean install.

Thank you for the idea of that shelf! I would probably have taken the dash apart and stuffed the gear in there before thinking about a roof line shelf.. I'll probably have to make one though if I get that International.
I forgot I had taken a quick interior video of the truck, it sorta shows what I'd have to deal with/work around.
Interior video - YouTube That's what the IH is like inside.

For a laptop mount, Doesn't someone make a tablet or an iPad mount that is screwed or bolted into a sturdy piece of the dash. (Quallcomm keyboard unit mounting setup) I'm debating whether or not to buy a 3G iPad and use it for finding some good Railfan spots on GPS software, Some and I mean very rarely doing Storm spotting in the Southeast.. (for an April 27, 2011 type event when it happens again) and lastly be able to take it in the house for play.

Once again, THANK YOU to W8RMH for that shelf idea!!!!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't think that would work with the floor shifter.

No, the F350 is automatic (as seen in the pic's). The I/H is manual. So it would work in the F350. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.