Help Identify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day All!

I bought this antenna for super cheap at a garage sale, unfortunately there was no instructions. Can anyone help me identify the model, I can take a better picture if needed. I am afraid to try and assemble, do not want to break anything, although it does look like i just need to move the pieces into place.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 982

k9rzz

If what you have is a scanner beam, then the new scanner beam is an old TV antenna with a new label.

Look at the U bolt on your antenna for mounting on a pole. It's for horizontal polarization. That says "I'm a TV antenna". (nice find though!)

Dewey

That there's a classic TV antenna. When you unfold the large front elements into place, they will form a horizontal "V" pattern... not the vertically straight up and down that the Scanner Beam III uses. The back should also unfold into a "V" pattern standing on it's side, that's the UHF portion.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
It certainly looks like the scanner beam. If it is, the u-clamp is mounted correctly. Look at the link in the post above mine and you will notice the stand off pipe to clamp the antenna on to your vertical mast.

Good find:cool:

Last edited:

k9rzz

That's a TV antenna and I think you've just discovered that the Scanner Beam is nothing more than that, a TV antenna with a higher price!

Good catch.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Dang, ya beat me to it!
"Now check out the innumerable "can I use a TV antenna with my scanner" threads, change the mount and charge them twice."
P.T. Barnum

k9rzz

Ha! Here, even the NOAA is in on it: NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio

what you can do to improve reception of the broadcasts

When directionality is important due to a very weak signal strength, co-channel interference, or the desired weather radio station being in a different direction from the most often watched TV station, a specially built antenna (7) or a separate all VHF channel TV antenna can be attached to an existing TV mast (8) and permanently pointed in the direction of the desired weather radio station. To further improve the signal, the antenna should be mounted so the elements of the antenna used for the weather radio are aligned vertically to the ground.

8.jpg

Now, to find who really makes that beam.

Thanks All!

Well the garage sale I got it from, also had a bunch of airplane models and other airline stuff, so maybe he was using it for the airband, I do live very close to CMH. Anyway for $5, guess it will be fun to experiment with it, and see what happens. Thanks to all that have replied, it is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.