help identifying collins rack type ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

compaq1

I am possibly going to purchase a rack type radio as seen in these two pictures; can anybody identify this as a collins radio with a model number and possible value? Thanks.

72f2hc.jpg

293dnrr.jpg

n8emr

I am betting its not ham radio but a commercial AM transmitter. It looks similar to the 30K1 but diamond plate is rather odd, usually its flat black. May have been a re-packaged unit.

KC0QNB

I disagree that it is a broadcast unit but only for one reason a broadcast unit would be fixed frequency, no need for a huge tuning cap, ok two reasons I am not sure Collins made broadcast stuff, I almost thinking receiver only, or at the very most a low power transmitter, the power supply (the bottom chassis) doesn't look like it is built for high power, can we get a closeup items on the front? tags and the like? perhaps the labels on the meters? to quote Jonny five. "Need input" send more pics, you know what they say "Real radios glow in the dark" I know a Collins guy, he has rebuilt many units, you might be able to provide more info, I will send him a copy of the pics.

w0fg

Home-brew medium power transmitter from the late 30's to early 50's. Top to bottom...power amplifier (missing the final tubes), oscillator/driver stage, AM plate modulator, power supply.

StuScanner

I disagree that it is a broadcast unit . . . ., ok two reasons I am not sure Collins made broadcast stuff, I almost thinking receiver only, or .

As the son of a long-time Collins engineer, growing up in Cedar Rapids I can assure you Collins made some top-quality broadcast transmitters in the late 50s through the 60s; clearly the equal of Gates or anything else available at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.