• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help identifying connector and wiring diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samg381

Kenwood Connector.jpg
I am trying to identify this connector. Based on my research, I believe it is a Kenwood K2.
If so, could someone kindly provide me with the relevant wiring diagram / pinout?
Thank you very much.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Flip the picture upside-down where the screw is on the bottom. Pin numbers start at bottom left and go up, left-right, left-right, etc. 1-14.
1- GND
2- RXB
3- RXA
4- GND
5- TXA
6-
7- PTT
8-
9-
10- GND
11-
12-
13-
14-

Regarding the other leg of the TX audio... for interfacing with the Raytheon/JPS ARA-1/NXU-2A/ACU1000/etc., TXA and TXB are put across a 22 ohm resistor. TXB is tied to ground and one leg of the resistor. The other leg is tied to the TXA pin. This allows them to use the unbalanced audio from the MIC.

Got this info from Raytheon/JPS interface cable 5961-281013-00, which is used on the TK-280/290/380/480/2180/3180 portables.

Attachments

• Kenwood TK-290 Rev A1.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 18

Samg381

Thank you both very much! You guys just saved the day.. Using the info you generously provided, I put this simple diagram together.
Pinout.png
This connector is attached to an OTTO PTT headset that I'd like to use with my Thales Liberty radio.
Assuming my diagram is correct, my plan is to disconnect this adapter and splice it to a 6-pin hirose cable I've attached to a Thales sidemate hirose/programming adapter.

My only two unknowns now are:
- which wires pass through the Thales adapter to the hirose connection (I plan to use a multimeter here)
- which wires I need to splice from the headset cable to the hirose cable

Here are photos of my setup, and the pinout to the Thales adapter:
IMG_20201002_172931.jpg Thales Pinout.png

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Samg381

Any guesses what the odd pin out is on the Kenwood connector? Since there are 6 wires in the hirose cable, could it be that both grounds share a common wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.