• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help Identifying this Motorola radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a history project for our department. Can anyone tell me what model portable radio is shown in this picture? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• OldMotorola.jpg
    OldMotorola.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 506

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looks like a UHF HT220 Slimline to me. The only other radio it could be is an MT500, but the tapered back I believe was only found on the HT220 series.

CCHLLM

Yep, definitely a single channel HT220 SlimLine (tapered back indicates SlimLine) and definitely not an MT500. The PTT switch config is the giveaway there and the 500 had an external accessory port above the PTT button. The stubby antenna indicates UHF band. I worked on those as a tech when they were new and they were great radios.

Last edited:

W2NJS

Looks like an SP model HT-220 slimline, UHF, single-channel, with what we called a "surveillance back." I can't figure out what the control on the top at the back was unless it was PL on/off rotary switch which was the way the 220s controlled the radio's PL.

petnrdx

It looks to me like the item on the back is the screw in ( threaded ) earphone jack "dummy plug".
The early HT220 earphone "jack" was threaded.
And they made a threaded "plug" with a plastic washer to make it water resistant.
It was metal and looked similar to the tapered VOL and SQL knobs. Just about a third the height.
Later the plug was just black rubber.
There was a special earphone plug that was threaded so you could not pull it out accidentally, but they were not common.
The plug only had maybe four or five "turns" of threading.

CCHLLM

There were some with a toggle switch in that hole, but it looks like the factory dummy plug that you mentioned. I still have couple of those plugs in the miscellaneous hardware jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.