Help in Halifax !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towman1

Looking to get a scanner what do I need to look for in one for Police Fire and Amb ? I am in the US right now and looking to buy one unles some one can direct me to a local supplier ...
Thanks

rednek_hoser

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I'm also looking for a local supplier, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

novascotian

Steve's Radio on Agricola St used to sell scanners.... havent heard anything of them in a while. Also check littlemac.ca from the Bridgewater area. He sells GRE scanners but is just about to leave the business. I would check him first if you are interested in GRE, and who wouldn't be?! Other than that you will have to go to the big suppliers for Canada.. durham radio is one of them. and then look at ebay. I have bought via ebay but have had mixed results re the condition of the items. I travel to the US a couple of times a year and try to combine the trip with a purchase down there.

Last edited:

Towman1

Thanks is there a specific hrtz or frequency that I should look for or just any digital will do?

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Digitial Trunk tracker that will do both 700 & 800 mhz. Expect to pay between 400 and 600 dollars unless you shop for used on ebay for considerably less.

69Z28

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If I was going to purchase a scanner, I would want one that does everything from .550 to 999 MHz.

There is a local net operator - I think it is the YL network on 20 meters and lot's of ham radio activity.

Not sure what all is available with local Ecom traffic, but all you had to do is a internet search.

Many radio manufacturers makes receivers of this nature.
No reason to buy locally when you have the internet at your fingertips.

AES / Ham Radio Outlet etc all has about the same prices for the same radios.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Negative, that does 800mhz which is required for Trunk Mobile Radio system in Nova Scotia but this scanner only does 800 itself, that means you will hear EVERYONE on the TMR without the option to lock anyone out so following a conversation will be next to impossible as there are hundreds of TMR users with the bulk being in HRM.

You need a Trunk Tracker.

Go to Ebay.com and type in "trunktracker scanners"

trunktracker scanners | eBay

If you want to listen to HRM Police, RCMP, DFO, DNR Conservation officers, then you will need to go a step further and get a DIGITAL Trunk Tracker. Any scanner listed as doing "P-25" or "APCO 25" is a Digital Scanner.

Towman1

He I have gotten a GRECOM PSR500 I checked it seems to be programed with the right Frq's acording to this site set it to Scann and nothing is coming over turned Sq low ... Anything else I should look for Checked manual didn't help much ...

Res21cue

Feed Provider
No offence...but if you are in Halifax and not hearing anything...its not programmed right lol :)

Is there anyone local that can help him out? Im hrs away...

Status
Not open for further replies.