help in id'ing antenna pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

I picked up a cool yagi free:) The boom is 51"-it's 4 elements: main flat-oval element is 36".....rear element is 41".......and the two front elements are 36". The mounting holes at the end of the boom behind the 41" rear element give you the option of mounting with elements vertical or horizontal. I connected this thing to the scanner inside the house and it has very potent reception! Connot wait for the chance to get it up on the roof:). Obviously it's directional (right?) but I wonder how to mount it for best performance-vertical or horizontal. I wonder if vertical makes it omnidirectional?? Thank you people!!

Jim41

ridgescan said:
I picked up a cool yagi free:) The boom is 51"-it's 4 elements: main flat-oval element is 36".....rear element is 41".......and the two front elements are 36". The mounting holes at the end of the boom behind the 41" rear element give you the option of mounting with elements vertical or horizontal. I connected this thing to the scanner inside the house and it has very potent reception! Connot wait for the chance to get it up on the roof:). Obviously it's directional (right?) but I wonder how to mount it for best performance-vertical or horizontal. I wonder if vertical makes it omnidirectional?? Thank you people!!

TV signals are horizontially polarized.
Public safety communications and business communications are vertically polarized.

If you are connecting your yagi to a scanner, you will want the elements to be vertical.

With a vertical orientation the antenna will be directional, not omnidirectional.

Jim41

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
ridgescan said:

It sounds like a VHF high band yagi, based on your description of the element sizes. It will work best on the 144-174 MHz band, and it should be mounted with the elements vertical, with the front of the boom pointed in the direction of the station you want to hear.

ridgescan

Having a blast w/ this yagi! Gonna put it on the roof Thursday but have it mounted to....(ahem) a torch lamp and hooked into the radio. This way I can focus on a station and spin the yagi to see exactly where it pinpoints so I know how to position it upstairs. Gets VHF low real good too! 73s

Status
Not open for further replies.