Help Indentifing data on 152.330

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargeek

I need the help indenifing the type and souces of the data being transmitted on 152.330. The signal is super strong from west Denver (6th & Sims) to way out east near Kiowa. Thanks again for any suggestions?

Mick

Sometimes this frq is used by taxis for their data terminals, thus the date noise.

Here's a list of licensees on 152.33 in Colorado:
Site / Frequency / Market Search Results

I need the help indenifing the type and souces of the data being transmitted on 152.330. The signal is super strong from west Denver (6th & Sims) to way out east near Kiowa. Thanks again for any suggestions?

sargeek

More

So yes, I figure it is data - However thier licnese states the station as a FB, or a BASE STATION. Is MDC usaage consistant with that license designation?

An wow that singnal is a serious signal, 24/7/365.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber

I'm going with Colorado Cab Company LLC as well.
It's probably carrying GPS data and/or text messages to and from the cabs to dispatch. If you look at the map in the link Erik provided, you'll see why the signal saturates the metro area.

One of their FCC emission designators on that license qualifies for telemetry and other data. The emission designator can help more than the Type in this instance. In this case, the seventh character is a "d" (11K0F2D) which is designated for "data transmission, telemetry or tele command"

Last edited:

sargeek

So lets say I have an interest in one of the other licensed users for the frequency. The 100 watt transmitter from the cab company is causing significant interference with the opetations of a licensed repeater.

The data signal is so strong that it walks over the repeater output.

Isn't this why you have to pay a frequency coordinator when you apply for a license?

rfburns

Isn't this why you have to pay a frequency coordinator when you apply for a license?
That's a good example of why you don't trust a coordinator who in all likelyhood is located hundreds of miles away and bases assignments on what's licensed. He has no way of knowing what the channel loading is other than to look at the number of mobiles licensed. In this case there apparently are none and I don't see a FB2 license. Except for the fact that it is a taxi company it's a logical assignment for a coordinator.

The original license KAB903 was probably issued around 1959 and taxi dispatchers talk almost continuously (if it was still being used for voice) and there are 600 associated mobiles. Considering that info it wouldn't look like a logical assignment if I was doing it.

I found that it was always best to monitor a frequency for a minimum of a week and then tell the coordinator what frequency you wanted or if you were the coordinator you had better do some monitoring before approving something.

I hated it when the fire frequency coordinator was IMSA and the individual worked for Cleveland Fire Dept. He had absolutely no clue what was going on in Colorado and you could get nothing sensible done.

It looks like the channel would be pretty useless for the Boy Scouts. If the 2nd xmtr is up much or especially if it is simulcast I would think that would trash the frequency at the Elbert camp.

sargeek

we were first

We'll the problem is that Colorado Cab Frequency licensed was issued after the party I am interested in.

The existing system was working very well thank you, until a 100 watt data system was turned on.

So I need to call the cab company and tell them to turn off their system and get a file for a new license since they are causing problems on an existing system?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
So I need to call the cab company and tell them to turn off their system and get a file for a new license since they are causing problems on an existing system?

Let us know how that turns out.

You'd be better off looking for a new frequency, I'd bet. Is that fair? No. Is it a more practical solution than butting heads with another user who will probably put you on ignore 2-3 seconds after you call them? Yes.

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

Good luck with that one!

Jim<

rfburns

I would have your attorney call their attorneys in Washington because you will get nowhere calling someone in Denver. The names of their attorneys are listed on the FCC license.

If you still believe that their operation is illegal, call the FCC. The Lakewood office is always helpful.

I'm wondering why you think their license was issued after the one which you are interested in.

As others have said, I'd just cut my losses now and find new frequencies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
All new licensees are required to protect incumbents, I would file a compliant with the FCC for licensing the system to start with, and let them go and work it out with the co-ordinators. Calling the co-ordinators after the fact will result in no action by them, unless the FCC sticks their nose in it. I would also ask for a cease operation order until it 's all worked out, as it is causing detrimental operation of your system. BTW you cannot send data or have a carrier 24/7/365, unless that is specified on the license, and is usually only allowed on a paging channel. The max I believe is 2 min.

nd5y

So lets say I have an interest in one of the other licensed users for the frequency. The 100 watt transmitter from the cab company is causing significant interference with the opetations of a licensed repeater.

The data signal is so strong that it walks over the repeater output.

What exactly is your interest? Do you actually use the system in the area it is licensed for? Just because you (assuming you are just a scanner listener) have interference where you are doesn't necessarily mean the licensee is getting the same interference at their location.

rfburns

Who is the licensee? Is it DENVER AREA COUNCIL, BSA? If it is the Boy Scouts it may come down to when the repeater at the Elbert camp was legally constructed vs. when the cab company legally constructed the site east of the Pinery.

The licensed service area for the Elbert repeater is only 16 Km. So hearing the cab company at Sixth & Simms would seem to have no bearing as it is well beyond the 16 KM radius.

M

mpg0515

152.33 data signal has been on the air since at least the late 80's when I started scanning.... I have had to lock this out of every scanner I have ever owned since then. Considering the call KAB903, this one has been around a lot longer than the late 80's....

Interesting choice of coordination to say the least....

Last edited:

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I remember the callsign KAB903 used by Yellow Cab in 1975, and probably much earlier, too.

towersites

Premium Subscriber
The contact for the cab company is Lee Tingle. I do not have his number but if you call there main number they should be able to transfer you to him. His ham callsign is K0LT.

sargeek

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the advise. Just looking for some fellow people who at least understand what I am talking about. I will make the phone call to the Cab Company some time this week, and see what they have to say. I will follow up with the contact recieved.

Called the FCC 1-800 number, and thier advise was to call them and try to work it out, and if that does not work then contact them. So what is anyones interest to work it out. Regardless, it is going to cost some one money. Pay a frequency coordinator to coordinate the frequency, pay the FCC to update the license, pay to get all the radios & repeater reprogramed.

It is my guess that they are operating within the parameters of their license.Its not their fault, It just bad frequency coordination.

I believe the KAB903 license has been around forever, but the addition of the 152.330 is relativly new. The grant date on thier license is 12-22-2011. The construction deadline for 152.330 on site 1 (Jefferson County) was 12/22/12 and site 5 (Denver)

The Elbert County location is not permitted to operate on 152.330. Again just poor frequency coordination.

Stay tuned for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.