• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help licensing non profit for two way radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you might be okay. It really just depends. Also depends on the location. If you have a hilltop repeater, chances are they're going to get you a larger range, just due to the repeater's footprint. Also depends on ERP, HAAT, etc. There are a lot of factors that go into it.

Part 90 of the FCC regs. has a listing of all Part 90 frequencies. The itinerants are denoted. Or you can just search various licenses and see what others have registered for itinerants. These guys have most, if not all itinerant frequencies licensed: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQUS415 - REACT International, Inc. - Frequencies Summary

All the ones that show station class MOI are itinerant frequencies.
[/QUOTE]

There is no repeater. This is simplex. We are looking for exclusive use of a single VHF frequency at about 5 watts max in our 3-4 county area for the parade team and two UHF frequencies at about 4 watts for use in our building.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There is no repeater. This is simplex. We are looking for exclusive use of a single VHF frequency at about 5 watts max in our 3-4 county area for the parade team and two UHF frequencies at about 4 watts for use in our building.

No, I know that. I'm just saying, the frequency coordinator could justify a much larger range for a repeater, for example. The whole idea is behind coordination is so that there is no/limited overlap between frequencies in a given area.

Another pro tip, while you might not have digital radios now, what about in the future? The licenses are good for 10 years. Any changes to that license are going to cost you money. So include analog, DMR, P25, NXDN, etc. as emission types on your license. No cost for doing that, and if you ever do use digital in the future, you won't have to modify your license.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
No, I know that. I'm just saying, the frequency coordinator could justify a much larger range for a repeater, for example. The whole idea is behind coordination is so that there is no/limited overlap between frequencies in a given area.

Another pro tip, while you might not have digital radios now, what about in the future? The licenses are good for 10 years. Any changes to that license are going to cost you money. So include analog, DMR, P25, NXDN, etc. as emission types on your license. No cost for doing that, and if you ever do use digital in the future, you won't have to modify your license.

I was going to do that. I imagine in the future digital radios will get cheaper and I’d move at least one of each frequency group over the there as a security measure (because you can easily do basic encryption on those emission types) for those times when necessary.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
So on the non profit side I can say you may get away with no licensing fees. You will need to submit copies of your 501C3 along with your IRS determination letter. You will still pay coordination fees. I have handled many SAR team licenses over the years and that's the stumbling block. For non public safety stuff I use EWA - Services | Enterprise Wireless Alliance. I don know fees now but last license was $200 for coordination fees.

PACNWDude

At my amateur club people get assigned things when they express a concern, or instantly learn the art of STFU. The good one's understand and take on the role. Less than 10% of us are the good one's.
This holds true in my experience in both amateur, GMRS, and commercial radio. In commercial radio (I administer a very large P25 network) there are a few amateur radio types that think they know better than Motorola R56......they get a copy of R56 and told to take on the project themselves within those constraints. They then STFU when they realize they are wrong.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
So on the non profit side I can say you may get away with no licensing fees. You will need to submit copies of your 501C3 along with your IRS determination letter. You will still pay coordination fees. I have handled many SAR team licenses over the years and that's the stumbling block. For non public safety stuff I use EWA - Services | Enterprise Wireless Alliance. I don know fees now but last license was $200 for coordination fees.

That’s not bad for fees and that’s about what the provider I found looks like they are charging (plus the fees to do all the paperwork).

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
It's not all inclusive and it might contain errors.

You can probably get other frequencies licensed as itinerant for a certain state or other geographical area but that would require frequency coordination.

We wouldn’t need that much coverage, just 3-4 counties. The trailer we use can’t easily travel far so we only do events that are about an hour away.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Idk if they would allow us. That’s used for their national convention but I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.
That (WQTU503) has ten 5-watt "mobiles", itinerant CONUS on 451.8000.

I ran a search on 451.8000 for a 100 mile radius from 36° 0' 0" N 119° 50' 0" W (a point in Kings County) and got no hits. I ran it for a 200 mile radius in SoCal and came up with just one (!) license, another non-profit – Seacost REACT on WQPR932. They licensed two high-power mountaintop repeaters (300W/100WERP) and 300 110-watt mobiles. The license includes stuff on other VHF and UHF channels as well. Thinking that seemed kind of sparse, I ran it for the whole state and got a bunch of mostly non-site-based (statewide, etc.) licenses.

If nothing else, it might be worth talking to the contacts on those licenses to see who they used for licensing (that may be non-profit-friendly).

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
That (WQTU503) has ten 5-watt "mobiles", itinerant CONUS on 451.8000.

I ran a search on 451.8000 for a 100 mile radius from 36° 0' 0" N 119° 50' 0" W (a point in Kings County) and got no hits. I ran it for a 200 mile radius in SoCal and came up with just one (!) license, another non-profit – Seacost REACT on WQPR932. They licensed two high-power mountaintop repeaters (300W/100WERP) and 300 110-watt mobiles. The license includes stuff on other VHF and UHF channels as well. Thinking that seemed kind of sparse, I ran it for the whole state and got a bunch of mostly non-site-based (statewide, etc.) licenses.

If nothing else, it might be worth talking to the contacts on those licenses to see who they used for licensing (that may be non-profit-friendly).

That’s not a bad idea. Just hope the contacts are up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.