• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help - Local OEM - Mobile Radios in a Box for Portable EOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KURT12520

Hello, I'm a local Emergency Manager in NY with $Zero financial support from my local government. Well I am fortunate to have been awarded a grant from a major corporation to create a Portable EOC for my community.
I have been given the following used Motorola Equipment, All One-Piece CDM1550s (1)VHF, (1)UHF, (1)LOW and (1) MA/COM/HARRIS M7100 One-Piece 800 EDACS Mobile. I am looking to mount all of these mobiles in a portable box/case for use at the EOC or in the field. Ideally if I had the budget, I would purchase a Trident Micro Systems POP (Portable Operations Package)...see attached for concept.
I am looking for suggestions or best practices:
-Mounting box or case for all 4 radios, power supply, etc
-AC/DC Power
-Portable Antenna for lowband 46mhz
-Going to try and get Sti-Co tri coupler for V/U/8 radios and interoperability antennae (1 mag mount, 1 tripod mount)
-Going to try and get Trident Micro Systems CommTac2 also to mount with radios
-Will need to operate inside building (makeshift EOC) and mobile in back of vehicle or folding table
Trying to build this is the most simple and cost effective method

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Kurt

Attachments

DisasterGuy

As an EM, what exactly is your goal with this system? Are you looking to ensure that the EOC can communicate with all field units or are you looking to create an interoperability system for field units? If the latter, assuming you are a municipal EM, does a solution already exist at the county level?

I am in the process of building something similar using a VHF Orion, 800 Mastr III Repeater, 2 UHF CDM1550's with a RICK and a XG-100M as a system link radio. All will be contained in a small rack enclosure to be used as a field deployable channel stack for national interoperability channels. An ACU-M will tie them together and the whole package is being designed to go up in a FD tower truck or utility bucket truck.

As a basic concept I would encourage you to look at using a musician style rack mount road case for the enclosure and dual 30A power supplies in a rack panel for your power. For the antenna, look at the Laird multi-band http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=368700&eventPage=1 using a triplexer such as the Diamond MX3000N http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/Tri-Duplexers/Diamond-Antenna-MX3000N.html?gclid=CL7j-8KtirwCFVFk7AodPxsAPw.

It is pretty easy to rack mount the mobiles using a blank 19" rack panel and cutting it for each radio. You can use standard console radio plates from Harvis, Jotto, etc to provide a clean look and mounting ears.

Last edited:

KURT12520

Thank you for the reply.

At this point, I am looking for this to have the ability to communicate with units in the field and with the Trident CommTac2, have the capability of simulataneous transmit on all 4 radios.

Your systems sounds great! I just took delivery of the XG100Ms at Work (Fed Agency) (non-touch screen model) looking forward to programming them this week.

I would also like to have a deployable repeater for VHF, UHF, 800 to work on the National Interop Repeater channels - any suggestions for portable repeaters and duplexer issues?

DisasterGuy

We manage a regional interop network for VHF/UHF/800 national interop frequencies and use Mastr III repeaters for all channels and sites. For 800, the Mastr III with the smaller and lighter switching power supply is the way to go in my book. A good option for VHF and UHF is the Hytera DMR repeaters featured for analog only. They are small, light, inexpensive and available with internal duplexers. The only reason that our transportable system that is being developed isn't using the Hytera repeaters is because we run VHF simplex and I have UHF CDM's as well as a RICK on hand.

You will like the XG-100M. They are solid radios and very capable. Assuming that you are on an EDACS system, you do need to use the CH-721 control head as the CH-100 isn't supported for EDACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.