Help locating interferance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I'm pretty new to amateur radio (taking my test on the 1st) and need some assistance. My new Wouxun KG-UV2D arrived and I've been programming it so that I can listen to the local traffic before I get my license (no, I'm not transmitting).

I'm picking up several of my local repeater frequencies with a constant buzzing on them, it's very very strong (according to the signal meter, it's maxed out) and making it impossible for me to use the SCAN feature of my new radio when I am in my apartment.

I found this post and this guy was able to pinpoint that his interference was related to Cable TV Audio channel 61.
70cm Interference

I then checked the cable TV frequencies using this table and found no interference on those frequencies.
North American cable television frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can someone give me some pointers in locating this interference so I can hopefully eliminate it?

The frequencies are:
444.920 (bleeding into 444.925)
444.875 (spurious)
444.025 (spurious)

Any help would be appreciated...

Doug

Unplug each component of your computer setup, especially your router or modem, these can generate a lot of interference. Take your radio outside to a quite area, maybe a park and see how it receives then.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I spent several hours today playing with the radio, moving it, unplugging electrical devices, DirecTV solitudes, PCs, the router, cable modem (which has a built in and unused 5ghz wireless access point), and more.

I went to unplug my HDMI selector switch in my master bedroom and 99% of the interference went away. I plugged it back up and within a couple of seconds it was back. I unplugged it again and left it unplugged, the interference is still gone. There is still a bit of spurious interference, but no more buzzing and I can use the scan feature of my radio now for the most part.

I did sone quick googling and wasn't able to find any example of an HDMI selector causing interference.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Doug

DougWare

Feed Provider
Sorry, that was DirecTV splitter...not solitudes. I hate it when the iPhone miscorrects a word that I've missed.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I went to unplug my HDMI selector switch in my master bedroom and 99% of the interference went away. I plugged it back up and within a couple of seconds it was back. I unplugged it again and left it unplugged, the interference is still gone. There is still a bit of spurious interference, but no more buzzing and I can use the scan feature of my radio now for the most part.

Doug

Doug,

What brand/model?

W9DTC

Premium Subscriber
Two words: Ferrite Choke

I'm fairly new to this whole world, but I understand this is the proper resolution to problems like this. Of course, I could be wrong... If swapping out cables doesn't do the trick, give a ferrite choke a try. Looks like radio shack sells them (or any number of online retailers).

LtDoc

Those ferrite chokes can certainly help, but there's a 'catch' to it. It usually requires a bunch of them to be really affective. (In general, a 5 gallon bucket of those chokes is very nice to have.) There are different 'mixes' of ferrite, each mix effective for a particular use or frequency range. Radio Shack's ferrite cores are a sort of "one size fit's all" thingy. They may not be very effective, so more of them is usually required.

Using shielded cable for connections is also a nice thing to do. Shielding the devices/conductors is 'good', and the first thing that comes to mind is aluminum foil. That's NOT the only, or best solution, but still a possibility (and ugly unless you're into that sort of thing).

The best solution/'cure' for interference is distance! It's also the least convenient, as in almost impossible to use. Oh well, if it were easy, it wouldn't be any 'fun'. Right??
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.