help!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

perryp2007

hi folks!...I have a simple question....I just purchased the new pro 162 and have programed the riverside sheriff freq's in there....i still get alot of noise and how do i get rid of that beeping that causes delay? I still cant figure out for the life of me what a talk group is and how i can id that in my scanner for proper trunk scanning so if there is anyone that can help i sure would appreciate that. thank you.

brandon

Database Admin
It sounds like you have the system programmed in Conventional mode. It needs to be setup as an EDACS (Wide) system.

I don't have a Pro-162 to test but these instructions from Win97 will probably be similar on your scanner. Here is a screenshot of my setup for the Southwest system - the areas in red are the most important to ensure this tracks properly.

examplerm7.gif

If your not using software and doing by hand, I would check to make sure you have the bank in EDACS mode. On a Pro-97 I believe you press FUNC+TRUNK and then press MODE until you are on the EDACS system. Also with RadioShack scanners the LCN order must start on 001 not 000 (so if your in bank 6 it needs to be ch 601 not 600).

Good luck.

Last edited:

perryp2007

thanks

i do have it on edacs but does talkgroups have anything to do with it working better? and what on earth is a fleet setting? these are all foreign to me. thank you for all your help

cousinkix1953

If you don't program those sheriff's talk groups, then expect to hear all of the other BS (buses, dog catchers etc) using that same trunked network too. The UC Riverside campus is using a Motorola Smart Net system; so you are gonna have to program their trunked operations into another bank on that Pro 97. I got tired of listening to the college plumbers and other BS at the UC Santa Cruz campus. Police and fire talk groups are all I'm hearing now.

The Pro 97 is limited to 25 talk groups in each group of frequencies. You can program those fequencies twice and then divide the talk groups according to types of services if you need more. Press MANUAL, then the CHANNEL number of your trunked frequency. Press FUNCTION and DELAY. The word OPEN or CLOSED will appear at the bottom of the Pro 97 display. Repeat the process if you wanna change modes.

The OPEN mode lets you hear all of of the talk groups on a trunked network and the CLOSED mode only hears the talk groups which you programmed into the memory...

I would also put the stock rubber duckie antenna in the drawer. A decent antenna tuned for your preferred bands VHF, UHF or 800 mhz makes a big difference in hearing distant signals. You can find these on EBAY for less than 20 bucks each. a guy in 29 Palms has a bunch of antennas with B+C or Motorola connectors on them...

Last edited:

perryp2007

talk groups

Yes thats what i need to learn, how to program talk groups in my scanner, is their some book or anything on the web that you know of that speaks in real laymans terms on how to program you scanner using talkgroups and something called "fleet size"? LOL okay ill admit the last scanner i used is a pro 51, the days when it was so easy. I dont have a pro 97, i just bought a pro 162. If there is any help out there that can guide me step by step on how to find information and programing it sure would be a help.

Again, thank you for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.