Help Me Avoid Another big Bust at the Next Indy Car Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamSpade

Since my first scanning experience (at the Indy 500) was a complete failure, I am getting ready for the next IRL race in Kentucky in August.

I am looking for a pair of headsets—one for me and one for my wife—to allow both of us to listen to our Uniden scanner at the race. In other words, I am looking for a pair of headphones, each with microphones, so that we can talk with each other and listen to the scanner (typically called headphone intercoms).

When we went to the Indy 500 in May, I tried to use a new pair of Bose active noise cancelling headphones. While they did decrease the noise some, they were not effective for low and high frequency quieting. As a result, I couldn’t hear the chatter on the Uniden. I have since learned that Bose does not even publish a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). In my last post, I asked what I should be looking for in headphones. I understood they needed to have a NRR of at least 24.

After a great deal of searching on the internet, I have found 3 intercom headphones that had an NRR listed (there were many others, but they didn’t list their NRR).

I would really appreciate your comments about the following products or manufacturers: 1. Trackside Electronics, (www.tracksideelectronics.net.), model RT-58 (Gemini 4) with a NRR of 24 dB, cost:$299; and 2. Frequency Fan Club (WWW.racescanners.com.), model Fan-Link Original, NRR of 27dB, cost $525.95

A number of other companies sell racing headphones and publish their NRR, but don’t offer an intercom set. For Example: RE Racing Electronics, Model Platinum ANR Headset: $ 159.99, NRR of 25dB.

How hard would it be to take two individual headphones, each with microphones, and connect them together as intercoms?

Finally, what brands and models do the pit crews use at IRL and similar races?

Thanks for your help.

Same

GTO_04

I work with a diehard race scanning fan and I will find out what he uses. I suspect it is the racescanners.com product. I'll know more by Wednesday.

GTO_04

SamSpade

Thanks. Can someone add to this?

I look forward to Wednesday to see what your friend uses.

I am also hoping there might be someone else on the Forum who could add to this discussion.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.