Help Me Choose A Scanner Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoshwa

I was into scanning many years ago. I have never had real good equipment as it has always been a small hobby of mine. But I wan't to get back into it. I had a Bearcat 200XLT which was lost in a move a few years ago. Now all I have is a Radio Shack Pro 2034. I want a better made, clearer and more contemporary scanner that will pick up the local digital channels and trucks. I am in Los Angeles. I primarily want to use it for emergency type of communication, but don't want to be limited. I am not interested in using a computer interface. I primarily want to set limits, punch in frequencies and go. I was looking at the Radio Shack Pro 197 but think that will be too complex for me to program without an interface. So what scanner would be good for me? I would like a base station and a handheld scanner. Should I be looking at GRE, Radio Shack, Bearcat, etc. etc? Also, if I wanted to get a scanner that will also pick up shortwave communication, what models would I need, or do I need a separate short wave radio for that?? Please help with advice if you can. Thanks.

N8IAA

There is no digital scanner that has the old style frequency entry that you are asking about. This being said, unless you are not interested in the county ICIS system, or LAPD, an analog, high capacity scanner is needed. If you want the county system, or LAPD, a digital scanner is neccessary. Uniden's 396XT and 996XT use a free programming software called FreeScan that can be downloaded at www.sixspot. The GRE/RS scanners (PSR-500/600, Pro-106/197) all have thirty day free trial software: www.starsoft , www.psredit, and www.arc500 . The Unidens will give you much more memory than the GRE/RS scanners. I suggest that to find out the best info for your area is to go to the California State forums further down the forums page.
Just a side note: To truly program the ICIS system, you will need to have software to put in the custom bandplan that is neccessary to hear it properly. A pc is standard equipment now for scanning. To monitor SW, a separate radio is needed. None of the scanners in the last 20 years has had that capability.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.