Help Me Choose a Scanner - Shelby County Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneRaven

This will be my third scanner in 15 or so years. I started with a Radio Shack 97 Pro, which served me well for several years. I programmed this scanner using the Win 97 software.

Following the conversion to digital, I upgraded to a Uniden Home Patrol 1. I was extremely please with the Home Patrol 1, and I am comfortable with programming the unit with the Sentinal Software. Unfortunately, this unit has been misplaced.

The scanner that I purchase will be used to monitor police, fire, and rescue as well as an occasional air show or auto race. I used to be a private pilot, and I will occasionally visit a local airport and monitor air traffic.

I am located in Shelby County, AL (just south of Birmingham, AL) and I am particularly interested in the cities of Pelham, Alabaster, and Helena. The ability to monitor Birmingham, AL in Jefferson county would be a plus.

Any input in what unit will best fit my needs will be greatly appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This will be my third scanner in 15 or so years. I started with a Radio Shack 97 Pro, which served me well for several years. I programmed this scanner using the Win 97 software.

Following the conversion to digital, I upgraded to a Uniden Home Patrol 1. I was extremely please with the Home Patrol 1, and I am comfortable with programming the unit with the Sentinal Software. Unfortunately, this unit has been misplaced.

The scanner that I purchase will be used to monitor police, fire, and rescue as well as an occasional air show or auto race. I used to be a private pilot, and I will occasionally visit a local airport and monitor air traffic.

I am located in Shelby County, AL (just south of Birmingham, AL) and I am particularly interested in the cities of Pelham, Alabaster, and Helena. The ability to monitor Birmingham, AL in Jefferson county would be a plus.

Looking at your county in the database, the cities you mentioned have conventional channels listed, but also have talkgroups on the statewide AIRS system. While the talkgroups listed for your county are tagged as P25 Phase I (that's the D in the mode column), some talkgroups in other areas of the state are flagged as P25 Phase II (T in the mode column). Whether everyone on the system will be encouraged or required to move to Phase II is something perhaps that another member might be able to answer down in the Alabama regional forum. In any event, I would suggest getting a Phase II capable scanner. Sooner or later you'll run into a Phase II system.

For your county, the sites do not appear to be simulcast. However, two adjoining counties, Jefferson & Talladega, do have simulcast sites on the system. You might be far enough out from those sites that simulcast would not be an issue. If it is, then the best choice would be the SDS100 or SDS200. That's something else to ask in the state forum. However, if simulcast is not a deal breaker for you, then consider the BCD436HP (handheld) or BCD536HP (base/mobile). Either would work in your county, and depending on location, you might also be able to monitor the adjacent counties as well. Looking at DMR licensees in your county, just about all of them are schools, utilities, and a variety of businesses. North Shelby Fire has a DMR license, but they also have a talkgroup on AIRS. If, later on, you decide you want DMR or NXDN capability, that upgrade can be added at a later date. You can pruchase either the 436HP or 536HP for less than the cost of the Home Patrol 2. While the HP-2 can receive Phase II, it cannot be upgraded for DMR or NXDN. With the 436 or 536, or the SDS series scanners, you can import your programming file from the Sentinel version for your misplaced HP-1. The x36HP & SDS series scanners also use Sentinel, though it is a different version. But you can still export your original file from that version of Sentinel, and import into the newer version. Both of these scanner series have the database like you had with the HP-1.

Your other choices, in Uniden scanners, would be the 325P2 or 996P2. These are $40 to $50 less than the x36HP series. These two scanners do not have the database, and would have to be programmed individually.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Shelby County most any scanner will work. Look at this link Shelby Co AL Listings.
Jefferson County a bit more complex as Birmingham and County and most suburbs are on the Alabama State TRS. Only Birmingham and Fulton PD are encrypted, SO and Fire are still open. They are listed as Phase one but much like our TACN it is Phase II capable and most likely they will move folks eventually to Phase II.

I said all that to say that with the Phase II potential would seem reasonable to "future proof" your choice ad get a Uniden 436/536 or SDS100/200. The system does not appear to have a simulcast concern so for less money and a few less frills the 436/536 should work fine.

Might go to the Alabama RR forum and ask there to see if any of the readers live in the area and can provide real time information.
Best wishes. Still a fun hobby.

WA1LMC

I would stick with a scanner such as the BCD996XT. Easy to program compared to the 536HP. Hint..subscribe to RADIOREFERENCE.COM if you have a PC and want to program the scanner with BUTEL ARC-XT software. It is about an extra 100.00 but it will save you lots of time programming.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber

For what is is worth, even though it was not designed with air bands in mind my SDS100 receives them adequately enough considering the antenna on mine is the Remtronix designed for 700/800 Mhz and not air bands. Location and proximity contribute as you no doubt know.

If you are looking to future proof yourself, as evidenced by your previous purchases, I would go with the SDS100 (since you mentioned going mobile with it). You'll want to swap out antennas when you want to heavily focus on air bands.

I have a Telescopic antenna, the Comet W100RX, on my BCD325P2. Works great as an "all band" antenna.

Just remember the connector on the SDS100 is an SMA not BNC.

StoneRaven

Thank you guys for responding to my request for guidance. The information you provided has proven invaluable. With portability, features, and an eye towards the future, I believe that I will go with the SD100. Again, thanks to each of you and I hope that you will remain open to further questions as I lean the new radio. What a great resource this site is. Be safe, be strong, and charitable to one another.

WA1LMC

In my previous post I suggested a BCD996XT which I own. I also own a bCD996T. For P25 simulcast, the 996T is useless and the 996XT is slightly better on simulcast signals., In Rhode Island there are now 4 zones. They are NORTH, PROVIDENCE, SOUTH and EAST. I live in Cranston AND FIND LISTENING TO cranston fd ON MY 996xt IS challenging due to simulcast distortion. In this instance, the local fire department is in thew NORTH zone. There are 3 sub sites in my range and all of them broadcast at the same time. The sites are synchronized by gPS and a high stability time base. While a commercial radio will process the simulcast signals well, the scanners are NOT of the same quality. I was informed by SCANNERMASTER, the SDS200 is capable of processing simulcast P25 signals. I plan on buying one soon and I will post my impressions. i was also told the BCD536HP does well too. But lets face, it, the SDS200 is pretty! For $699.00 it should make my coffee too.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
In my previous post I suggested a BCD996XT which I own. I also own a bCD996T. For P25 simulcast, the 996T is useless and the 996XT is slightly better on simulcast signals., In Rhode Island there are now 4 zones. They are NORTH, PROVIDENCE, SOUTH and EAST. I live in Cranston AND FIND LISTENING TO cranston fd ON MY 996xt IS challenging due to simulcast distortion. In this instance, the local fire department is in thew NORTH zone. There are 3 sub sites in my range and all of them broadcast at the same time. The sites are synchronized by gPS and a high stability time base. While a commercial radio will process the simulcast signals well, the scanners are NOT of the same quality. I was informed by SCANNERMASTER, the SDS200 is capable of processing simulcast P25 signals. I plan on buying one soon and I will post my impressions. i was also told the BCD536HP does well too. But lets face, it, the SDS200 is pretty! For $699.00 it should make my coffee too.

The SDS100 / SDS200 were made with simulcast in mind. The BCD536HP was not.
Anyone who does get a decent signal on a simulcast system with a 536 is in a location that is not as much affected by it (i.e. only one of the towers is the main signal, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.