Help me chose a good handheld scanner please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty81

Im wanting it to be around $150.00 or under would be nice. I want it to be a handheld. I'm real new to scanning so I dont know squat about trunking. But I suppose it would be a nice feature.

I was going to get a Radio shack one but I heard lots of bad stuff about the programming being hard.

I kinda like uniden products but I would try a different brand.

If anyone could find me something on ebay I would appreciate it.

Thanks all.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1) Where are you?
2) What kind of things do you want to listen to?

Answering those two questions will help folks make recommendations that are more likely to be useful to you.

smitty81

1) Where are you?
2) What kind of things do you want to listen to?

Answering those two questions will help folks make recommendations that are more likely to be useful to you.

I live in Rural Nebraska.

I would like to listen to police, fire and state Patrol.

I would like it to be portable and close to $100.00 if possible.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Can yuo narrow it down to a county or two? (for the local stuff)

Also, you might consider clicking on your "User CP" link and putting your location info in...then it will appear on all your posts and you won't have to go through the whole "I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition" routine.

For State Police, it looks like they are migrating from a system where you can use just about any scanner made in the last 20 years (even the ~$80 BC72XLT or BC340CRS) to a statewide digital system that will require a Digital scanner to be scanned (~$300-550, depending on new or used and brand). I am not in Nebraska, so don't have intimate knowledge of where they are in the process. You might want to check around in the Nebraska forum for more on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.