Help me configure an emergency communications monitoring post

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

1. What equipment, if any, would you add to this setup?

an emergency power source; FRS & CB radios; food & water; first-aid kit; self-defense training all come to mind. Also if the emergency situation involves certain weaponry (like the use of nuclear weapons), these weapons will create a powerful EMF spike in the atmosphere (read "blown receivers") so I'd keep radios off of antennas, ground the antennas, and short the antennas of radios until their use is actually needed--and even then don't hook them up all at once.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Well, if crazy preppers don't get you, you better hope that the price of aluminum doesn't rise. Recyclers will strip you clean.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Although in checking the repeater directory (granted this is NOT an official FCC document) it's been recommended that the calling frequencies be monitored for five minutes on top of the hour especially in areas with little or no repeater activity for possible emergency traffic. Granted it's not the same as an actual, definite emergency frequency although (at least to me) it sounds like a reasonable recommendation.

It's a good idea in theory. So was the Long Interval Tone Zero (LITZ) movement that sort of rattled around for a bit.
But simplex range is short. Especially with mag mount antennas, hand held radios, etc.
Having to wait until the top of the hour to have your emergency might be a bit inconvenient, too.

It would be pretty nice if more people monitored 146.52, but I've found it to not be the case.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
It's a good idea in theory. So was the Long Interval Tone Zero (LITZ) movement that sort of rattled around for a bit.
But simplex range is short. Especially with mag mount antennas, hand held radios, etc.
Having to wait until the top of the hour to have your emergency might be a bit inconvenient, too.

It would be pretty nice if more people monitored 146.52, but I've found it to not be the case.
Yeah, it would stink to have a real problem at 6 minutes after the hour.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

I think the main issue with this is the amount of folks who sit on it and chat all day in certain locations. I have it in all my PS radios in my work truck and routinely lock it out of scan as people babble for hours on it. I was working in NOVA one day and went into a tower and 2 guys were talking, when i came back out for lunch 3 hours later they were still on the radio !

Ironically yesterday I finally installed a new consolette and remotes at home for some stuff I do. In my scan list is 146.520 and about an hour after installing it and getting everything pretty the wife yelled at me in the yard cause guys where babbling on and it was good on one and static on the other. I went in and hit ND to remove it. I'd like to keep it there but thats the issue I have run into all over the east coast.

Scan125

I would add some sort of digital recorder to the system. As many channels as possible.
Well for his BC125AT if he uses Scan125 Control Program then this has fully automated recording functions built in. Downside is it adds a laptop/pc to the setup but I suspect that will already be there for other purposes.

For MW/LW/SW/HF then the Alinco DX-R8/SR8/SR9 is/are pretty decent bits a kit. With the DriveR8 Control Program then scheduled tuning and recording can be done. Many emergency/informational/weather warnings etc are done a set times so being able tune to and record would be very valuable.

WB9YBM

It's a good idea in theory.
Having to wait until the top of the hour to have your emergency might be a bit inconvenient, too. I'm sure a frequency can be used for emergencies regardless of what time it is. It's just that at the top of the hour (if I understand it correctly) people need to make the effort to pause their jibber-jabber and actively listen (or to quote our fourth grade match teacher, "shut up and pay attention" :)); and this whole thing is recommended primarily for areas with few to no repeaters.

It would be pretty nice if more people monitored 146.52, but I've found it to not be the case. Depends on your area, I suppose. Here in the northern 'burbs of Chicago it's not only used but so active that a lot of activity spills over to other simplex frequencies as well (like 146.550).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm sure a frequency can be used for emergencies regardless of what time it is.

Dude, seriously, it was a JOKE. Did you leave your sense of humor in your other suit?

Depends on your area, I suppose. Here in the northern 'burbs of Chicago it's not only used but so active that a lot of activity spills over to other simplex frequencies as well (like 146.550).

Of course it does. I used to have periodic conversations with an elderly ham on .52 in the mornings on the way to work. He seemed to be the only one in the area who was actively monitoring.

And in a big city like Chicago, I'd expect there to be enough hams that someone would be listening. It gets a whole lot different when you are in the far west where population densities are much lower, terrain is much different, and there are a lot less hams per square mile.

majoco

Stirrer
Personally the only incident that I'm really concerned about is the one that I'm having way out in the boonies and for those occasions I carry a personal locator beacon - not a handitalkie with a rubber duckie antenna in the vain hope that there is a repeater I can hit and someone is listening at the other end with a working cellphone or home telephone.

Of course if I was at home and listening to a repeater when someone called having an emergency then I would assist in any way that I could but nine times out of ten the professionals will be onto it long before I could help (or hinder?).

Status
Not open for further replies.