Help me decide what scanner to get? please

Status
Not open for further replies.

glutetoot

I'm looking to get my first scanner. I really "want" the bcd396, however I don't need it, I live in a small town that is not even really trunked. I would just like to have it so if i go somewhere that has digital i could scan it for fun. I have the money to buy it but if will i really have that much to listen to, is why i don't know if i want to spend the extra money. So I was just thinking about getting the br330 which i have heard and read is a really good scanner, but is just not digital.

My question is, How does br330 compare to the bcd396? From what i can tell it is the same thing it just does not scan digital. Am i right?

any other information on the br330 compared to the 396 would be cool. thanks for your time

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I think the 330 is a nice unit. I just recently got a BCT15 to pair up with my 396 and really love it. Granted, it's not digital and not a handheld...but it's very nicely made, sensitive and is basically a 996T without digital + it has a few other things like Bear Tracker, etc...

Just something else to consider. One heck of a buy for $229...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
glutetoot, before you go spending money, do a little homework in the database. You mention you live in a small town, but say nothing about where...I'm certain you would want to hear activity in more than your town at some point. For example, many states have county-wide or state-wide systems that either encompass or serve as the town's public safety system. You say that your town isn't digital, but what about this?

This should drive your decision, not just features....73 Mike

Airdorn

Even if you live in a small town, with the right antenna setup you might be able to pick up some city digital trunked goodness up to maybe 60 or 70 miles away.

I think you're thinking smart when you want the 396T even though you may not be able to IMMEDIATELY use all its features. It's a gorgeous piece of equipment, IMHO, and if you can afford to shell-out that $$ then get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.