Help me find my next scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyllus100

After many years of service, my RS Pro-96 is on its last legs (on-off/volume knob is going bad). I could really use some expert advice from you all on an economical replacement. I’d love a slight upgrade from the Pro-96 but I certainly don’t need the “latest and greatest”. I’d like to stick with a hand-held. I live in Chesterfield County Virginia so I need something capable of P25 (STARS), Moto Type II SmartZone and analog. Another “nice to have” is that it be computer programable (I travel a lot). Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

marksmith

One of the Whistler 1040 or similar will work if you don't need phase 2 digital.

Others are the Uniden 396xt if you can find one, or the Homepatrol 1.

Each of these get phase 1 digital p25, Motorola smart zone type 2 including digital voice, and most other systems other than phase 2 TDMA, which is the most recent p25 type.

The 396xt is a great little portable half the size of your 96 and prior to phase 2 digital, one of the best out there. It was just discontinued a few months ago, but you can still find new ones out there. I still have 2 of them for portable use.

Another smallish portable is the Uniden 325 p2. A little more expensive but gets phase 1 and 2.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

shumadine

I'm not too far from you in Henrico County. I upgraded from a Pro 96 to a Pro 106 several years ago. Better reception on STARS and same good reception on the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system. Similar programming that you are used to via win500 on Starrsoft. So one of these type models or the Whistler mentioned above would be a natural upgrade for you.

hyllus100

Thank you both for your advice. Should I be very concerned that the Whistler or Uniden (I assume the Pro-106 as well) aren't compatible with phase 2 TDMA? In other words, is there a way to tell if my area has near-term plans to move to this newer technology? I'd hate to go from broken to obsolete.

lu81fitter

The 325p2 or 436 HP from Uniden or the TRX-1 or WS 1088 from Whistler are probably your best options. Not the most economical, but you will definitely be able to pick up what you have now, and also Phase 2 if that is in the future for your area. These radios will also pick up DMR if that is one of your interests.

marksmith

Thank you both for your advice. Should I be very concerned that the Whistler or Uniden (I assume the Pro-106 as well) aren't compatible with phase 2 TDMA? In other words, is there a way to tell if my area has near-term plans to move to this newer technology? I'd hate to go from broken to obsolete.
I responded to you earlier based on what you indictated you would be listening to, and that you were not looking for top of the line. If you are now looking for phase 2, you are looking more top of the line. There are about 10 radios that are phase 2 capable. All are $450+ minimum.

Mark

hyllus100

@marksmith you are absolutely correct. I'm looking for something economical because I really don't have the ability to put out $450 on a scanner right now. My question was really a result of my lack of knowledge on P25 Phase 2 technology and the roll out schedule for my area. I really like the BCD396XT and it looks like I can probably pick one up online for about $280. I'm just a little concerned not knowing my County's plans, if any, to upgrade.

396XT

. My question was really a result of my lack of knowledge on P25 Phase 2 technology and the roll out schedule for my area. I really like the BCD396XT and it looks like I can probably pick one up online for about $280. I'm just a little concerned not knowing my County's plans, if any, to upgrade.

The 396XT does not handle Phase 2.

marksmith

@marksmith you are absolutely correct. I'm looking for something economical because I really don't have the ability to put out $450 on a scanner right now. My question was really a result of my lack of knowledge on P25 Phase 2 technology and the roll out schedule for my area. I really like the BCD396XT and it looks like I can probably pick one up online for about $280. I'm just a little concerned not knowing my County's plans, if any, to upgrade.
Phase 2 scanners are going at a premium right now because a lot of areas are introducing the technology.

The more Urban the area, the greater the likelihood that someone is looking st phase 2 for additional channels with no additional bandwidth compared to p25 phase 1.

Having said that, many areas not near or in cities have not yet gone to p25 digital phase 1 yet, and it might be a while before it can be justified.

The 396xt is a great radio. It is discontinued now by Uniden, as they have added phase 2 capability and remade the radio as the 325p2.

You will need to make your own judgement based on where you are and what the area you will monitor is doing.

That is a question best answered in the forum that concentrates on your specific area.

Mark

hyllus100

Thanks again @marksmith; this is exactly the type of info for which I was looking. After checking the forums, it seems like we still have at least a year before Phase 2 will come to our county. Long enough at least to feel comfortable going with the 396xt.

Nasby

Thanks again @marksmith; this is exactly the type of info for which I was looking. After checking the forums, it seems like we still have at least a year before Phase 2 will come to our county. Long enough at least to feel comfortable going with the 396xt.

If you do go for the 396xt, the price of $280.00 (you mentioned in your earlier post) is pretty high for a discontinued scanner.

Do some checking on Ebay, the RR classifieds, Craigslist, etc. and I'm sure you can find one at a much better price.

Last edited:

marksmith

It's actually about the right price. When discontinued, demand and price increased a little for those still out there.

Mark

hyllus100

I picked one up on eBay last night for $260 with battery, charger and CD. It's scheduled to arrive this Friday. I'll let you all know how it works out.

hyllus100

Just got the 396xt yesterday and haven't had much sleep since. Holy cow is it nice. I'm having a steep learning curving setting it up though since it is very different than my old Pro-96 (RIP).

marksmith

Just got the 396xt yesterday and haven't had much sleep since. Holy cow is it nice. I'm having a steep learning curving setting it up though since it is very different than my old Pro-96 (RIP).
It is completely programmable manually from the radio. However, for the cost of a $25 cable, you can download Freescan and program it a little easier and faster with the software. A cheap subscription RR will make it even easier, though I usually program it manually in the software.

I would still strongly suggest you learn it manually, as you learn a little more that way.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.