Help me find this radio's home please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty81

I found this two way radio on the road. Its a Kenwood TK-3160 that has a corded mic on it.

I was able to figure out its frequencies with my scanner.

Am I able to figure out who would be using these frequencies with these radios by using the internet?

I am almost 100% sure its from a local business.

I can give you town, county and state info along with the frequencies if anyone thinks they can help me.

Thanks

smitty81

You can find the freqs and possibly the users yourself.

Start here: RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

If the radio is talking to a system you could also announce that you've found a radio on the system and converse with whoever answers. They should be nice to you because they probably want the radio back.

I tried but it said I had to be a premium member. Im new to scanning so a LOT of this stuff is new to me.

frequencies are

171.505 & 406.950 in nebraska

Thanks for any help.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
I tried but it said I had to be a premium member. Im new to scanning so a LOT of this stuff is new to me.

frequencies are

171.505 & 406.950 in nebraska

Thanks for any help.

I thought the database was available to anyone. Maybe not?

PM me with your county and town. Nebraska isn't sufficiently small area for a straightforward search.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I thought the database was available to anyone. Maybe not?

PM me with your county and town. Nebraska isn't sufficiently small area for a straightforward search.

Yes the DB is available to everyone. Not sure what he clicked that told him he must be a premium.

Edit: I think you do have to be a premium to search individual frequencies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Neither of those frequencies are going to show up in the FCC database. They are Federal use frequencies.

Both of those frequencies are flagged by the FCC with the limitation of:

Frequencies in this band (169-172 MHz and 406-416 MHz) will be assigned only for transmitting hydrological or meteorological data or for low power wireless microphones in accordance with the provisions of § 90.265.

And, that referred section is titled:

90.265 Assignment and use of frequencies in the bands allocated for Federal use.

So, those frequencies are for Federal use with low-power wireless microphones. You might want to contact your local FBI field office. Might not be them, but they might know who it is.

smitty81

Neither of those frequencies are going to show up in the FCC database. They are Federal use frequencies.

Both of those frequencies are flagged by the FCC with the limitation of:

Frequencies in this band (169-172 MHz and 406-416 MHz) will be assigned only for transmitting hydrological or meteorological data or for low power wireless microphones in accordance with the provisions of § 90.265.

And, that referred section is titled:

90.265 Assignment and use of frequencies in the bands allocated for Federal use.

So, those frequencies are for Federal use with low-power wireless microphones. You might want to contact your local FBI field office. Might not be them, but they might know who it is.

Are you freaking serious?

smitty81

WoW, I am amazed with what NW0U pm'd me.

You would never believe in a million years where these radios came from...............

K

kb0nly

WoW, I am amazed with what NW0U pm'd me.

You would never believe in a million years where these radios came from...............

Fill us in here... Did you get the radio back to the owner, who was it, what happened??

Dying to hear the rest of the story.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
You were able to return them that quickly??

Not yet.

He was surprised at what I'd found with licensees.

Still trying to figure out if the radio is being used illegally by a local business or whether it got there from a properly licensed user.

I'm still trying to massage the FCC database for businesses an licensees now that I know where he is.

The info by the other posters indicating the freq allocation is interesting and explains why valid licensees come back with 'experimental' status.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Smitty found that he has an unlicensed user facility in his neighborhood.

Anybody know if the FCC pays rewards for poaching Fed frequencies?

Thayne

Well why not read it and see if it has an embedded message? Even if it is password protected you can see that. Maybe it needs to be adopted into a "Good Home" :eek: Or maybe it is a one of a kind secret squirrel model that can do high band like a 2160 and UHF like a 3160 :wink:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Smitty found that he has an unlicensed user facility in his neighborhood.

Anybody know if the FCC pays rewards for poaching Fed frequencies?

Since they have no authority over Federal frequency allocation and coordination, I'd say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.