Help me fix my mess up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radmanrugg

OK I did not think to do research when I decided to up grade my Uniden BCT8 to a BCT15. Placed order 2 days ago. I use it in mobile situations where I like to know what’s going on in my immediate area ~ 10 mi radius. Now after ordering the BCT15 (not here yet) I see that DTRS seems to be taking over the state. :roll: I read about 6 months of posts for 12 hours yesterday trying to figure out what the trends are.

My desires have been for the following. I have enjoyed the Alert to mobile extender frequencies built into my BCT8. That is the reason I went with the BCT15 on a whim over the BCD996T. I also use these packages because they fit in a DIN slot in my car dash. I have also been using an antenna splitter off my car radio for kind of a stealth setup.

I am now trying to predict the future and figure out what would best suit my needs and am asking your assistance.

Is there a hint that the DTRS stuff will end up encrypted? Hence no further need for me to invest in this hobby.

Does anyone know if the mobile extenders will continue to be on the same frequencies and remain analog? I could get a supplemental BCT12 and hang it next to my mirror and use it to complement a BCD996T.

Any thoughts / recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Scott

I hope the place I got the BCT15 will accommodate any changes I make without too much penalty. Cross fingers.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
While there is always a chance that DTRS will become encrypted (the technology is certainly there), I haven't seen anything that indicates there is any concerted move in that direction.
As for mobile extenders, I wasn't aware anyone was using them out here...who have you found to be using them?
The splitter off your car stereo antenna is going to give you pretty dismal performance, especially on the DTRS end of things. There are many low profile/disguise antennas you can get that will work much, much better.

radmanrugg

CSP has been using mobile extenders. I get hits every now and then. Not often but then again my antenna is very limited. I could go with a through the glass cell look alike antenna. Would I be expecting it to not get the digital information it needs to track the signals reliably if the antenna is too wimpy? A stuttered speech effect or worse? Would a through glass be enough?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
OK where to start, welcome to the list. Why the BCT15?

It does not cover digital which of the majority of the state is on or headed that way on the DTRS system.

Also only has 2500 channels vs 6000 for the 996T.

And the 996T even comes with the DIN mounting bracket and that works fine.

What are you referring to in the "mobile extender" frequencies? the Beartracker technology? 996T has close call.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
radmanrugg said:
CSP has been using mobile extenders. I get hits every now and then. Not often but then again my antenna is very limited. I could go with a through the glass cell look alike antenna. Would I be expecting it to not get the digital information it needs to track the signals reliably if the antenna is too wimpy? A stuttered speech effect or worse? Would a through glass be enough?

Glass are ok but not much DB on 800MHz especially but certainly better than your AM/FM antenna.

What about a low profile 800Mhz antenna like many public safety agencies use?

Jim<

radmanrugg

Wow thanks for the quick help guys.

BCT15 includes the alert that the BCT8 has for the mobile extender frequencies, yes bear tracker technology. The digital one does not. I don’t think Close call is going to tell me who is broadcasting in a timely manner. I would have to look at the display and know what the mobile frequencies are. I agree the 996T is a better machine all around except for that one feature.

cstockmyer

radmanrugg said:
OK I did not think to do research when I decided to up grade my Uniden BCT8 to a BCT15. Placed order 2 days ago. I use it in mobile situations where I like to know what’s going on in my immediate area ~ 10 mi radius. Now after ordering the BCT15 (not here yet) I see that DTRS seems to be taking over the state. :roll: I read about 6 months of posts for 12 hours yesterday trying to figure out what the trends are.

My desires have been for the following. I have enjoyed the Alert to mobile extender frequencies built into my BCT8. That is the reason I went with the BCT15 on a whim over the BCD996T. I also use these packages because they fit in a DIN slot in my car dash. I have also been using an antenna splitter off my car radio for kind of a stealth setup.

I am now trying to predict the future and figure out what would best suit my needs and am asking your assistance.

Is there a hint that the DTRS stuff will end up encrypted? Hence no further need for me to invest in this hobby.

Does anyone know if the mobile extenders will continue to be on the same frequencies and remain analog? I could get a supplemental BCT12 and hang it next to my mirror and use it to complement a BCD996T.

Any thoughts / recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Scott

I hope the place I got the BCT15 will accommodate any changes I make without too much penalty. Cross fingers.

I am not going to get to worried about DTRS untill DPD starts to head that way, but that is just me.

radmanrugg

wouldn't the mag mount trap dirt and grind the paint? Can it hold up to better than average acceleration / braking? I like to kick it once in a while. Car gets to 60 in about 4.8 sec. Though I dont speed. Have a clean record to back that up.

LFRfreak

Mag mount

My RadioShack mag mount has never damaged my car. Just make sure that the bottom of the antenna and the the area where you set it down on your car are both clean. Althought I haven't tried it, a very thin piece of cloth or vinyl or something in between your car and your antenna might help.

-LFRfreak

Status
Not open for further replies.