Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is there a chance that a moderator could go through this thread and delete the extraneous posts? There is some serious thread drift here .

Thanks.

MStep

Is there a chance that a moderator could go through this thread and delete the extraneous posts? There is some serious thread drift here .

Thanks.

Hey Garys--- it seems that this "Help me help you" thread, in its rather rambling and rambunctious way, is kind of a refreshing change from the "focused" on-point discussions in other threads, where drift is more of an issue. It's a rather unique opportunity to express ideas and thoughts that don't fit into other threads or topics, all the while giving the folks who post a more or less open forum to get their ideas out there to Joe Bearcat.

I don't believe that there is any "drift" because Joe really never limited this thread to one specific idea or topic. It was kind of an invitation to throw out those ideas and give him a chance to digest and respond.

And you have to love his rather frequent ;) to standby... something is coming! But I'll let Joe speak for himself--- he created the thread and if he is not happy with the course that it has taken, he knows what he has to do.

To me, it just a refreshing "rambling river of thoughts" that have actually produced some pretty good ideas and quite a bit of camaraderie amongst the troops.

One man's opinion.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It is a general topic thread, it appears to be quite cathartic for a loyal group who really hasn't had any way of communicating with Uniden other than private messages to try to straighten out problems with repairs and such.

As we're all aware, censorship is offencive, especially to those who are singled out to be squelched. We have way too much of that going on in our country already. Let people speak, the UPM can handle himself.

If there is levity injected into this, let people have a laugh... God knows with everything that's been going on the last year we can use some laughs.

Last edited:

begoli

If we were talking about what our favourite foods were, then yes it would be OT. But our annoyances, ideas, opinions, criticism both constructive and positive about Uniden's products all help Joe to know what Uniden's customer base i.e. us think.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember a scanner in the distant past that had that feature. During programming you could check a box in the software to record a particular frequency or talk group. I don't remember the model or any other helpful details.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I seem to remember a scanner in the distant past that had that feature. During programming you could check a box in the software to record a particular frequency or talk group. I don't remember the model or any other helpful details.

Yes. Those models routed audio/control to rear jacks on the scanner.

garys

Premium Subscriber
So that actually required an external recording device. Which is not that big a deal, but internal recording would be more convenient. Then again, I never had a need to record scanner traffic.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Record flag for the older models (T, XT, P2) also allowed you to selectively stream channels/talkgroups while scanning additional stuff. You connected the scanner's REC (line level out) jack to the PC, flagged the stuff you wanted to broadcast in the programming using the Record flag, and only those resources would have their audio output through the REC jack. Everything else would still have its audio output the scanner's speaker or directed to the headphone jack or EXT SP jack.

JustLou

@JoeBearcat ,
Regarding the SDS100/200, I really wish the squelch preset settings were either modified in the next firmware update or their values made user definable. Right now, we have setting 0 and 1 which are preset for open squelch. And when you go to 2, it closes the squelch, but set way to tight for my liking. Then when you go anywhere above 5, they are pretty much wasted settings. Since there is no analog pot like the Whistlers have, these preset values need to be looked at and fixed. I miss a lot of weaker signal transmissions when set at 2. By the way, I have owned several BCD396XT's for years and they have the same problem. But I just had to live with it. And it would be great if the squelch settings could be defined by channel or system at least, instead of globally as they are now.
Bob

@JoeBearcat
I agree with this 100%. I’m having issues with my SDS200 where on some systems setting the squelch at anything higher than 1 will result in the radio being deaf on those systems. I can’t leave the setting at 1 either because on other systems it’s the equivalent of an any open squelch and scanning is virtually impossible. Either there needs to be adjustment so there is less of a dramatic difference between setting the squelch at 1 or 2, or the better option of a channel/system squelch setting instead of Global only.
Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As this wish list grows, all I can think about is how confusing this will be for some and the threads of the future..

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Keep in mind this thread really isn't for wish list items - it's to help me identify issues that exist so I can address them.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind this thread really isn't for wish list items - it's to help me identify issues that exist so I can address them.

Should we submit debug files in this thread in addition to the issue (s) so they can be forwarded to the engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.