Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
You should probably check out this thread...

Thanks. I browsed that earlier. I don't have to tell you (of all people) that sometimes the aftermarket is more efficient at finding and developing solutions. I believe you are well aware of that. :cool:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I'd like to see it that when a quick key is turned on or off, it writes it to the SD card. Right now because it doesn't, if you turned on or off a bunch of quick keys, and suddenly lose power, it will read from the SD card, reverting what you had on prior.

TexTAC

Here are some random suggestions for the SDS100/200 ...

I think there is an error with the message that pops up when toggling a department quick key on/off. It always says “Quick Key xx.xx.xx = ON” regardless if you are toggling it on or off. It toggles correctly, but the screen msg always says you are toggling it on.

Descriptions of what the filter settings actually do would be helpful.

AGC would be nice to have as I listen to several trunked systems where the volume within the same talk group varies considerably. Individual squelch control for departments too.

Global alert sound/light = off feature to override alert sound/light settings while sleeping or stealth.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I am pretty sure I made that exact recommendation a few years ago. It was not added since the loss of power should be the exceptional case. (low voltage should trigger a save to the card for dying batteries)

I also had another recommendation regarding the Quick Keys which I will not detail.

Perhaps it's time to revisit those.

drdeputy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I browsed that earlier. I don't have to tell you (of all people) that sometimes the aftermarket is more efficient at finding and developing solutions. I believe you are well aware of that. :cool:

And while I personally think it would be wonderful, it would add to the cost of an already fairly expensive scanner, even as an add-on option. So it becomes a niche of a niche and the ROI for Uniden might be a problem. Nothing we all don't know I figure, but I thought it might be worth saying out loud, 800 lb gorilla in the room style.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Here are some random suggestions for the SDS100/200 ...

I think there is an error with the message that pops up when toggling a department quick key on/off. It always says “Quick Key xx.xx.xx = ON” regardless if you are toggling it on or off. It toggles correctly, but the screen msg always says you are toggling it on.

I believe that happens when you have the SAME Quick Key assigned to both a Department and a Site. If one is enabled while the other is disabled, you always get the 'on' message as they are set off/on and on/off. How they get out of sync is a good question, but I believe that is the cause.

If you have a chance, could you perhaps research if that is the case with yours?

That is being worked on, but I need details from engineering first to make sure I post accurate info.

ASG would be nice to have as I listen to several trunked systems where the volume within the same talk group varies considerably. Individual squelch control for departments too.

(assuming AGC) There is an AGC, but perhaps it is time to review the rise and fall values. Really, the system should be performing that work.

Global alert sound/light = off feature to override alert sound/light settings while sleeping or stealth.

Great idea! That is definitely on the list now.

TexTAC

I believe that happens when you have the SAME Quick Key assigned to both a Department and a Site. If one is enabled while the other is disabled, you always get the 'on' message as they are set off/on and on/off. How they get out of sync is a good question, but I believe that is the cause.

If you have a chance, could you perhaps research if that is the case with yours

It happens for me regardless of whether I have the same quick key assigned to both a Department and a Site. For instance, in one of my favorite lists I only have two Site Quick Keys (1=Trunked Systems and 2 = Conventional Systems) and 9 Department Quick Keys (by county). When I toggle the Site Quick Keys On/Off, the appropriate On/Off message is displayed. However, whenever I toggle any Department Quick Key On/Off, the message always says I am toggling that Department Quick Key On. (XX.01.01 through XX.01.09 and XX.02.01 through XX.02.09, etc. always says it is toggling On).

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It happens for me regardless of whether I have the same quick key assigned to both a Department and a Site. For instance, in one of my favorite lists I only have two Site Quick Keys (1=Trunked Systems and 2 = Conventional Systems) and 9 Department Quick Keys (by county). When I toggle the Site Quick Keys On/Off, the appropriate On/Off message is displayed. However, whenever I toggle any Department Quick Key On/Off, the message always says I am toggling that Department Quick Key On. (XX.01.01 through XX.01.09 and XX.02.01 through XX.02.09, etc. always says it is toggling On).

Can you email me an HPE file for that Favorites list? If so I will provide my email via PM.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That is being worked on, but I need details from engineering first to make sure I post accurate info.
I think that the biggest issues with filters, at least one that generates a considerable number of comments, is how to pick the best filter for a specific system. Of course, you can select "Auto" for the filter, and the scanner will try each variant. But that has a very negative effect on the scanning speed. Also, once it determines the best filter, and uses it for that pass, the next time the same system (and site) comes up in the scanning sequence, Auto again tries the various filters to see what works.

It would be better if the Auto function would remember what worked during the earlier scan, so that it is not reinventing the wheel every time. Having the 'best' choice saved for the next time the system comes up would be great, even if it only saved it during that session, even if (like a temporary Avoid), that is discarded after the scanner is shut down, then rebooted at a later time.

If there is no way to save it for use during the current scanning session, i.e. a 'permanent save' is not possible, then is there a way to have the scanner display what was determined? We can update the display options to show what filter is set, and that will show up on the scanner as well as in the virtual control such as with ProScan. While the display will show "Normal", "Wide Invert", or whatever setting was in the Favorites list, 'Auto' continues to show 'Auto'. If that could be modified so that it displays what choice was made, instead of just 'Auto', that would be a very usable function.

tumegpc

HP2: - I feel that the HomePatrol 2 is probably one of the best scanners ever made. Adding DMR and NXDN would make so many of us here very happy. (y)

SDS100/200: - Any way to add a delay so the opening.bmp image would be visible longer?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That indeed seems to be my bread and butter at the moment, particularly with internal GPS installations and SDS100 battery cover clips.

And I concur with the others about the current uselessness of the audio AGC. It makes almost zero difference. UPMan once called it "subtle", and the whole point of AGC is to be the opposite of subtle. Its effect should be clearly obvious if it's to be useful.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Joe.

I have been listening to public safety radio since the 1960s. I am a h/w designer as well as a f/w & s/w programmer. I was embarassed at how long it took me to get my SDS-100 up and running with equivalent programming to my other scanners like the PSR-500. Watching this forums since, I am not alone. The documentation for this radio is ... lacking, to say the least. One thing that is needed is a picture of the radio, with arrows calling out each button, light, connector, etc.

Now that I am up and running, there's a feature I'd like added that I believe would take little work respectively.
Presently you can:
- Menu -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> Favorites Quick Key --- Then see a list of FAVORITES with descriptions and toggle on/off
- Menu -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> System Quick Key -- See a list of favorites, select one, the see a list of SYSTEMS with descriptions and toggle on/off

What is needed is to see a list of DEPARTMENTS and SITES, with descriptions, then be able to toggle on/off.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Presently you can:
- Menu -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> Favorites Quick Key --- Then see a list of FAVORITES with descriptions and toggle on/off
- Menu -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> System Quick Key -- See a list of favorites, select one, the see a list of SYSTEMS with descriptions and toggle on/off

What is needed is to see a list of DEPARTMENTS and SITES, with descriptions, then be able to toggle on/off.

So the same as the Systems, but with a prerequisite to select the FL and System first?

I can add this to the list, but I think it may be more complex then you say.

In the mean time one tip is to prepend your Departments and Sites with the Quick Key so you can get familiar with them.

Change "Central Site" to "91 Central Site" or "Police" to "01 Police" for example. (note this only works with FLs)

MattSR

EDIT - I made this post based on some false assuptions as pointed out by GTR8000 below. Please disregard.

Hi Joe,

On the SDS series, the "Option_X_Y" fields at the bottom of the screen are 14 chars wide. The "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" selectable field splits the Unit ID name up into 16 character wide chunks, which don't fit the actual field on the display. This defeats the whole purpose of having the "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" fields in the first place.

Ideally, the "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" fields should split the alias/name up into 14 char wide chunks which will then fit the display and will wrap around properly.

In this example here, the Alias is entered is "THE HILLS GROUP 5". The screen is configured to display "Unit ID Name 1" immediately above "Unit ID Name 2", which should simply wrap the alias text onto the next line, however it gets truncated with "..." as per these screenshots:-

Cheers,
Matt

View attachment 97610View attachment 97609
View attachment 97608

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hi Joe,

On the SDS series, the "Option_X_Y" fields at the bottom of the screen are 14 chars wide. The "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" selectable field splits the Unit ID name up into 16 character wide chunks, which don't fit the actual field on the display. This defeats the whole purpose of having the "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" fields in the first place.

Ideally, the "Unit ID Name 1/2/3/4" fields should split the alias/name up into 14 char wide chunks which will then fit the display and will wrap around properly.

In this example here, the Alias is entered is "THE HILLS GROUP 5". The screen is configured to display "Unit ID Name 1" immediately above "Unit ID Name 2", which should simply wrap the alias text onto the next line, however it gets truncated with "..." as per these screenshots:-

Cheers,
Matt
Well, no, that's not entirely correct. If you put Unit ID Name 1 and Unit ID Name 2 together on the same line, they create a single 32 character field. Putting them on separate lines was not how it was intended to work. Asking Uniden to truncate those Unit ID fields to 14 characters would disrupt the 16+16=32 on one line for those of us using the fields as originally intended. The easier fix for you would be to put them side by side, not one over the other.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I am pretty sure I made that exact recommendation a few years ago. It was not added since the loss of power should be the exceptional case. (low voltage should trigger a save to the card for dying batteries)
It's one of the flaws in the design that Uniden didn't expect when installing these in the vehicles, without a separate switching lead.
Or, a simple circuit that at loss of or low voltage, a capacitor that can keep enough charge to allow the SD card to write then shut down upon hitting that threshold. (Simple, when the circuit detects a loss, it mimics the volume switch being shut off, by opening that contact, and a coupled circuit provides enough charge to allow the SD to write.)

MattSR

Well, no, that's not entirely correct. If you put Unit ID Name 1 and Unit ID Name 2 together on the same line, they create a single 32 character field. Putting them on separate lines was not how it was intended to work. Asking Uniden to truncate those Unit ID fields to 14 characters would disrupt the 16+16=32 on one line for those of us using the fields as originally intended. The easier fix for you would be to put them side by side, not one over the other.

Ahhh of course, you are correct! It all makes sense now. Please disregard my post above.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi Joe,

Cheers,
Matt

View attachment 97610View attachment 97609
View attachment 97608

Issue understood. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understood it with the first pic.

That will be one of the 'bug fix' items although your use is not the intended use. It might be possible to allow for multi-line use as you show.

Regardless, it will be an item for review.

In the mean time, you could swap the TGID and RID Tag fields since the TGID does not need a longer field.

I am confused by a couple things in your pics. Is the second pic the settings for the first pic? If so, the RID Tag should be shown (truncated) twice.

Actually, UID Tags 2 and 4 are "correct" in that they indicate 14 chrs (base locations are wrong), but 1 and 3 should be 1-14 and 29-42 respectively when used on multiple lines. Not sure if that change will meet the 'bang for the buck' test since they were intended to be used 1/2 side-by-side and 3/4 side-by-side which is correct as-is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.