Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It's one of the flaws in the design that Uniden didn't expect when installing these in the vehicles, without a separate switching lead.
Or, a simple circuit that at loss of or low voltage, a capacitor that can keep enough charge to allow the SD card to write then shut down upon hitting that threshold. (Simple, when the circuit detects a loss, it mimics the volume switch being shut off, by opening that contact, and a coupled circuit provides enough charge to allow the SD to write.)

That is an issue I believe I have had a solution for for years (the ignition sense input option). I believe it can be accommodated via firmware update. It is literally the top of the list of feature additions, and one I will push heavily for.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The biggest hardware issue right now is the J401cold solder joint issue with the SDS100. Every radio I've checked so far, whether first production run or recent manufacture, has had at least one joint that wasn't as mechanically sound as it should be.

The SDS200 RFI hum/noise issue is also a concern. It's not a showstopper like the CSJ problem, but the mitigation part is only a partial solution, and the real fix is to unmask the ground traces around the display board mount holes as described by @StaticDischarge.
Both issues should be on top of the list. Then go from there. If it requires a repair campaign for those affected then so be it, just get it done and get past it.

Just an opinion, no need to reply. ;) Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The biggest hardware issue right now is the J401cold solder joint issue with the SDS100. Every radio I've checked so far, whether first production run or recent manufacture, has had at least one joint that wasn't as mechanically sound as it should be.

The SDS200 RFI hum/noise issue is also a concern. It's not a showstopper like the CSJ problem, but the mitigation part is only a partial solution, and the real fix is to unmask the ground traces around the display board mount holes as described by @StaticDischarge.
Both issues should be on top of the list. Then go from there. If it requires a repair campaign for those affected then so be it, just get it done and get past it.

Just an opinion, no need to reply. ;) Thanks.
I think the most disappointing issue is that, in regards to the cold solder joint issue, this still continues to happen on at least some of the newer production units. Also, far too many of the SDS100's sent in to repair the J401 defect are coming back not repaired, or else they fail again within an unacceptably short period of time. It appears that the repair techs are only fixing what jumps out & slaps them upside the head, and leaving other problem connections untouched.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think the most disappointing issue is that, in regards to the cold solder joint issue, this still continues to happen on at least some of the newer production units. Also, far too many of the SDS100's sent in to repair the J401 defect are coming back not repaired, or else they fail again within an unacceptably short period of time. It appears that the repair techs are only fixing what jumps out & slaps them upside the head, and leaving other problem connections untouched.
This is correct on all points. Older units, particularly the first 1000-unit production run that shipped with the small battery, have many more bad joints than newer units, the problem rate has merely gone from 50-90% bad down to 1-5% of the joints being bad (failing the probe test shown in my YouTube videos).

And some of the work done by Uniden has been totally unacceptable. One unit I reworked came back from Uniden with a solder bridge between two pins that were not supposed to be bridged, and the unit was non-functional out of the box. It had clearly not been test run by the tech that performed the repair, and the customer ended up paying full price to both Uniden and me before getting a working scanner. In other cases, including mine, some of the defective joints had been repaired, but others had been left untouched, resulting in additional failures after the repair. It is critically important that all of the joints be checked for mechanical stability as well as electrical conductivity, and all joints failing either test be resoldered, to prevent recurring failures.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 FAILED 95 days after repair Uniden stated sorry if you want it fixed send money I sent it to JON came back fixed correct and Jon uses my SDS100 in one of his videos.
My SDS200 1st batch has the Display Issue some days it looks normal some days slightly distorted some days nothing resembles anything readable looks great all the time on PROSCAN. It went for the 1st time bad 5 days after warranty expired Uniden website said SOL if you want it fixed you have to pay.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 FAILED 95 days after repair Uniden stated sorry if you want it fixed send money I sent it to JON came back fixed correct and Jon uses my SDS100 in one of his videos.
My SDS200 1st batch has the Display Issue some days it looks normal some days slightly distorted some days nothing resembles anything readable looks great all the time on PROSCAN. It went for the 1st time bad 5 days after warranty expired Uniden website said SOL if you want it fixed you have to pay.
A valuable lesson to be learned from the 536 repair campaign and the extended length of time it took to establish it. The necessary changes were made and affected units were repaired regardless of expiration of warranty. Hey if Uniden wants to farm out some of the work to an independent contractor, whatever.

The point is these issues need to be addressed with a favorable outcome for your customers...

... these great radios are going to be your flagship radios for a while. Fix these issues and get past it.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
On NXDN systems that produce an Alias ID, maybe add a "Auto Store" feature that is user selectable (on or off) instead of going through the process of saving them..pressing Enter, Save Unit ID".

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
For the 325, 996 have a display as it was in the 396T, 996T to display both frequency and talk group. Currently we have to choose to either display frequency or talk group.

daddyjohn

That is an issue I believe I have had a solution for for years (the ignition sense input option). I believe it can be accommodated via firmware update. It is literally the top of the list of feature additions, and one I will push heavily for.
Thank you looking into this.

daddyjohn

A valuable lesson to be learned from the 536 repair campaign and the extended length of time it took to establish it. The necessary changes were made and affected units were repaired regardless of expiration of warranty. Hey if Uniden wants to farm out some of the work to an independent contractor, whatever.

The point is these issues need to be addressed with a favorable outcome for your customers...

... these great radios are going to be your flagship radios for a while. Fix these issues and get past it.
The dimming screen on the 536 is actually still coming up and Uniden is no longer fixing them for free but charging for them.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
So the same as the Systems, but with a prerequisite to select the FL and System first?
Yes. You've provided a means to toggle Favorites Lists by first showing an alpa list menu. You've provided a means to toggle Systems by first showing an alpha list menu. I'm asking to be able to toggle Departments and Sites using a similar menu that displays alpha lists.

In the mean time one tip is to prepend your Departments and Sites with the Quick Key so you can get familiar with them.
All of my Systems, Departments and Sites are assigned Quick Keys. Sites are numbered from 99 in reverse order of Departments. Now that they're assigned, with alpha names, I should be able to bring up a menu showing those names so I can toggle them (rather than having to look at some pre-printed cheat sheet).

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Welcome @JoeBearcat glad to have you as a resource on here!

Three items (I know I'm nitpicking...)
  1. The TWiki Page for the DMR upgrade is in need of a refresh... My SDS100 and SDS200 both with latest firmware shows XPT for Hytera, DMRT3 (not DT3), CON+ CAP+, etc. And there are likely other edits. Likewise the corresponding page for the NXDN upgrade is non-existent. (For example, I didn't know that the system type display would show "NEX4D" for a Dynamically addressed NXDN that doesn't require Channel/LCN ID's until I started working on the Baylor Scott and White Health System in the DFW Metroplex).

2. Can the Discovery mode be changed to allow Durations of longer than 600 seconds (or even no limit)? There has been times where I left a discover session running and it maxes out and stops recording a talkgroup, yet in the 10 minutes of audio there is still insufficient data to identify the purpose (this was mainly on business systems, not Public Safety per se).

3. In Sentinel, would it be possible to have the software verify the correct profile is set for the correct device and issue a warning if its not? I have lost track of how many times I've done a read or write operation to/from the scanner only to realize I was on the wrong profile, having to then "undo" all of the variances between my SDS100 and SDS200.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon,
Help me Help you.
Please update me on shipping status, GPS dongle - SDS200 to Phx. 85027

Thanks,
N7DAN
I'm back ordered on GPS modules, the ones I had on hand sold out in one day. I have another batch on order, but tracking from Taiwan doesn't show details until it gets to the USA.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One really annoying problem when using the database: the Delay setting on the channel is hardcoded to 2 seconds and there is no way to adjust it without making a favorite list. 2 seconds is too short, in most cases the scanner resumes scanning in the middle of a conversation because someone is looking something up or checking their notes, etc. 5 seconds is a much more useful default, a better balance between holding on dead air at the end of a conversation and missing traffic because scanning resumed prematurely. You can change Delay in a favorite list, but it's a real PITA on large trunked systems with 1000+ talkgroups, even with ProScan's search and replace feature--something Sentinel completely lacks.

Delay needs to be like the SDS Filter setting: default channel setting is "Global" (added to the existing channel Delay option settings), with a main menu setting to change the default global value that is used when scanning the database or favorite lists. Being able to change global Delay from 2 seconds to 5 in the main menu instead of having to tweak thousands of individual channel settings would make scanning the main database a lot more useful, and make refreshing favorite lists a lot less painful.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Delay needs to be like the SDS Filter setting: default channel setting is "Global" (added to the existing channel Delay option settings), with a main menu setting to change the default global value that is used when scanning the database or favorite lists. Being able to change global Delay from 2 seconds to 5 in the main menu instead of having to tweak thousands of individual channel settings would make scanning the main database a lot more useful, and make refreshing favorite lists a lot less painful.
I disagree. What is needed is to be able to change that default of 2 seconds to whatever a user wants. Then we are still able to change individual channels from that setting. Right now as I build my Favorites Lists I have to manually edit each and every channel because I rarely use 2 seconds (but I do not want a global setting either).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I disagree. What is needed is to be able to change that default of 2 seconds to whatever a user wants. Then we are still able to change individual channels from that setting. Right now as I build my Favorites Lists I have to manually edit each and every channel because I rarely use 2 seconds (but I do not want a global setting either).
Why wouldn't you want a global option so you can set the default delay to your preference when scanning the database? You can't change the default delay for database channels at all currently, and manually editing hundreds or thousands of individual channels is a huge PITA. A global option is the simplest and most elegant way to adjust the default delay setting for all channels (other than ones manually set to something other than "global") simultaneously.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Why wouldn't you want a global option so you can set the default delay to your preference when scanning the database? You can't change the default delay for database channels at all currently, and manually editing hundreds or thousands of individual channels is a huge PITA. A global option is the simplest and most elegant way to adjust the default delay setting for all channels (other than ones manually set to something other than "global") simultaneously.
At the end of the day, I want each channel to have an individual control for the delay. It always amazes me that someone thinks they know what default setting I want, and do not provide a means to change it. Delay is just one example. If, after you've provided a means that I can change that default from 2 seconds to whatever I want, and you want to ALSO add a Global setting, that's certainly OK.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
At the end of the day, I want each channel to have an individual control for the delay. It always amazes me that someone thinks they know what default setting I want, and do not provide a means to change it. Delay is just one example. If, after you've provided a means that I can change that default from 2 seconds to whatever I want, and you want to ALSO add a Global setting, that's certainly OK.
I'm proposing adding "global" to the list of existing channel delay options, just like you have for SDS filter settings. Not forcing you to have the same setting for every channel. You're arguing against something I never said, and wouldn't want, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.