Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Why not just ask your company for a copy of the report?

Because I like independent reports over management reports that "the issue has been solved". They have said it was passed along to production.

It's not a matter of trust - it's a matter of independent verification, and you cannot get that from a single source.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Uniden might have designed the front panel to use separate grounds for analog and digital signals and making alterations to the grounding points might screw up the digital data and could make the read and writes to the SD card unreliable. Uniden needs the scanners designer to take a look at the issues to come to a solution that will not cause any future problems.

/Ubbe

If that were true we would have seen many 'corrupt data' reports by now.

Having the boards in inventory is not an issue - just remove the varnish during assembly.

As for any other considerations, I honestly believe it was a masking mistake. It happens a lot in the electronics industry.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If "My SDS200 HUM fix" is what they use (not using masking under the screws) it would be a grand compliment to issue a SDS100 and an SDS200 to the guy that came up with that fix for a very big "thank you for saving our A$$"...
Don't you think?
I'm not holding my breath though...

I will see what I can do. There were many proposed solutions, and even the solution the repair center is making is not the same one. But I believe the issue was a missing mask and proper engineering dictates fixing the problem not developing a workaround for it.

That said, please PM me your contact info.

MStep

Because I like independent reports over management reports that "the issue has been solved". They have said it was passed along to production.

It's not a matter of trust - it's a matter of independent verification, and you cannot get that from a single source.

Is this something that can be done be visual inspection of a disassembled unit? Someone might simply say pull a finished unit off the production line, open it up, and make a visual inspection. Then you will have you very own independent verification.

In any event, I appreciate the absolute candor of your response.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What's the difference between firmware version 1.10.08 and 1.10.00? What was changed in the newer units being shipped?

radio3353

As for any other considerations, I honestly believe it was a masking mistake. It happens a lot in the electronics industry.

No, it happens a lot in companies that don't employ:
1. standard work
2. design reviews
3. design checklists
4. instructions inserted in their CAD system
5. timely corrective and preventive action
I speak from a 35+ year career in electronics manufacturing engineering. Where did Uniden fail on that list? That is what you need to ask yourself in order to improve.

MStep

1. standard work
2. design reviews
3. design checklists
I speak from a 35+ year career in electronics manufacturing engineering. Where did Uniden fail on that list? That is what you need to ask yourself in order to improve.

As for Uniden, I would say, a little of each, but some more so than others. That being said, the SDS100 and SDS200 are amazing receivers that do some really fantastic things, not just at that price, but at any price. With the number of features and the ability to do so much configurable stuff, one would be hard pressed to get bored with the radio's capabilities in any short order.

Paul Opitz was a genius. Uniden, on the other hand, got a "little" sloppy with the finished product. Sadly, I fear that much of Paul's best work was yet to come, and those ideas and designs likely went to the grave with him.

R.I.P.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
1. standard work
2. design reviews
3. design checklists
And were you designing commercial or military grade electronics or hobby class electronics?

Let those that are without error cast the first brick.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Is this something that can be done be visual inspection of a disassembled unit? Someone might simply say pull a finished unit off the production line, open it up, and make a visual inspection. Then you will have you very own independent verification.

In any event, I appreciate the absolute candor of your response.

Except that I doubt travel to the assembly plant just to check a unit would be authorized - let alone the time in the air taking up 32 hours that could be spent on other things.

But yes, you should be able to see if it was done without as much disassembly as the repair.

FWIW I did get confirmation from management that the change was made.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What's the difference between firmware version 1.10.08 and 1.10.00? What was changed in the newer units being shipped?

For such a minor revision, probably not much. Even basic revisions would change from 1.10 to 1.11.

But to directly answer that question I don't have that info yet (if I ever get it).

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Sadly, I fear that much of Paul's best work was yet to come, and those ideas and designs likely went to the grave with him.

R.I.P.

Not all of them, but unfortunately some will have gone with him. Some of his ideas we did discuss.

tumegpc

I fear that much of Paul's best work was yet to come, and those ideas and designs likely went to the grave with him.

I think his best work was the Home Patrol series with the addition of the extreme upgrade. A scanner ahead of its' time with a multi-color touch 3" display. Band Scope, System Status, RF power plot, LCN monitor,Activity log, and discover modes with simple navigation.

I'm hoping that a Home Patrol 3 with NXDN & DMR is still possible. How bout it JoeBearcat?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I think his best work was the Home Patrol series with the addition of the extreme upgrade. A scanner ahead of its' time with a multi-color touch 3" display. Band Scope, System Status, RF power plot, LCN monitor,Activity log, and discover modes with simple navigation.

I'm hoping that a Home Patrol 3 with NXDN & DMR is still possible. How bout it JoeBearcat?

Due to the popularity of the HP-x series, that is a distinct possibility. I would love to see the current 'basic' display and the detailed display (ala SDS200) on it.

MStep

Except that I doubt travel to the assembly plant just to check a unit would be authorized - let alone the time in the air taking up 32 hours that could be spent on other things.

But yes, you should be able to see if it was done without as much disassembly as the repair.

Oh I would imagine that you could probably secure a new unit right here in the good old U.S.A. As grandma used to always say, where there's a will, there's a way. Cheers.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

1st one purchased was Feb.2019, hum is minor but only when all the scanners are quiet which isn't that often :LOL: . The next 1 purchased Dec. 2019, not a peep. The next 2 just purchased, also quiet. So yes, they must be paying attention.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this should be labeled a feature request or bug fix, since the scanner is supposed to work on P25p2 systems, and TDMA CC is part of the standard..

The ability for the scanner to use and follow systems utilizing a P25 TDMA control channel.

Found out there are a few TDMA control channels that the scanner doesn't know what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.