Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Last evening I started to look for threads that had pending questions/issues. It became quickly apparent this was a massive task that could take weeks to complete, so I am asking for some help to identify threads that have pending questions/issues. For now, I would like to focus on issues such as basic functionality of Uniden scanners (firmware update issues and major bugs), and would like to avoid (for now) service issues.

Either links to these threads or posts explaining the core issue would be appreciated. I will continue to look for these threads on my own.

The Uniden TWIKI is currently being updated. I believe the BC125AT TWIKI is complete and I am working on updates to the others - currently waiting for info from the engineers for other models. The BC_VUP software has been updated to make certain the latest versions of firmware are available, but questions on that are also welcome. There were issues with the BC125AT which I believe are now resolved (new factory models had firmware versions newer than BC_VUP allowed to be installed, and at least one user made his scanner unusable by installing an old version of firmware - solution: Update to the latest now if you have that issue.)

I appreciate anyone who can help identify these threads with issues that are not resolved.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
That is an easy one. The non-SDS models will continue to struggle with it due to the hardware design. There is nothing that can be done for those units with respect to hardware (although some improvement via firmware might be possible). As for what it is and how to overcome it, surely there are threads with info such as isolating reception to a single tower which is the only real solution. Of course this is not possible in all cases.

How does the SDS overcome it? It is a different receiver design that can better handle the distortion.

I will keep an eye out for future threads on that issue and perhaps create a TWIKI page on it (updating existing TWIKI pages will be a priority). This assumes a RR WIKI page does not already exist.

Blackink

Firmware update issues....you hit it right on the head there. I see many people having trouble getting their new scanners updated with firmware because the directions for doing so, at least with the scanners I've had or do have, are not that clear.
The directions could be a little more clearer and to the point.

I feel I'm pretty good with running computers as I've built 4 for myself or my son, installed software and hardware, removed viruses, etc, and I had a bit of trouble understanding the installation of the firmware the first time I tried.

Welcome aboard JoeBearcat, we'll keep you busy on this forum!!! lolol....

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Firmware update issues....you hit it right on the head there. I see many people having trouble getting their new scanners updated with firmware because the directions for doing so, at least with the scanners I've had or do have, are not that clear.
The directions could be a little more clearer and to the point.

I feel I'm pretty good with running computers as I've built 4 for myself or my son, installed software and hardware, removed viruses, etc, and I had a bit of trouble understanding the installation of the firmware the first time I tried.

Welcome aboard JoeBearcat, we'll keep you busy on this forum!!! lolol....

We have tried to improve that with the Sentinel software updates. However, I will review the instructions for the BC_VUP software (I am assuming that is what you are talking about) and will add a TWIKI page for the Sentinel updates. Do you have any specific areas you would like to see clarified? Any specific models?

And of course the absense of the current firmware in BC_VUP was an issue that is now resolved.

Keep me busy? I have no doubt.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The biggest hardware issue right now is the J401cold solder joint issue with the SDS100. Every radio I've checked so far, whether first production run or recent manufacture, has had at least one joint that wasn't as mechanically sound as it should be.

The SDS200 RFI hum/noise issue is also a concern. It's not a showstopper like the CSJ problem, but the mitigation part is only a partial solution, and the real fix is to unmask the ground traces around the display board mount holes as described by @StaticDischarge.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 will not track a Hytera Tier 3 DMR system. By contrast the BCD536HP will so there is a firmware issue with the 325. Expect the same problem with BCD996P2 as well. This is a problem with Hytera systems only. See the thread: BCD325P2: - Need help programming DMR Tier 3. Follow the link to the East Mountain thread as well for more background.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Will we ever see Uniden take responsibility for the audio (HUM) defect on numerous SDS200's? I think they should start a repair campaign to fix the 'manufacturing defect' of not properly grounding the display circuit board & chassis. It's not fair for Uniden to expect owners to learn to live with it, or even attempt repairing it themselves at the risk of voiding their warranty or worse yet, destroy their scanner. While the repair is not overly complicated, it's all the more reason why Uniden should man-up and resolve it once and for all. This should be done especially on new, currently manufactured scanners. This would go a long way to help restore Uniden's reputation and restore consumer confidence in their products.

Thank you.

Blackink

We have tried to improve that with the Sentinel software updates. However, I will review the instructions for the BC_VUP software (I am assuming that is what you are talking about) and will add a TWIKI page for the Sentinel updates. Do you have any specific areas you would like to see clarified? Any specific models?

And of course the absense of the current firmware in BC_VUP was an issue that is now resolved.

Keep me busy? I have no doubt.
Hey Joe, I should have clarified that it was the BC_VUP software. I used it for the BC125AT, BCD15X, BCD325P2, and the BCD996P2.
Things might have changed since I've done any firmware upgrades/downloads but here is my take, and like I said earlier, some wording might have changed in Uniden's instructions since I downloaded the software:

The Uniden Web site instructions aren't too clear.

These are the installation Steps from the Uniden Web site:
"Download
BC_VUP3 Firmware Updater for DMA Scanners, unzip the file, then run the installer to install this utility. Then, run the utility and follow the on-screen prompts to select the scanner model and firmware version to apply.

When I unzip that folder, I see a folder labeled BC_VUP_V3_03_00. Inside that folder is a setup.exe file and a Setup_BC_VUP.msi file.

The only reason I selected the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file is because it was the closest match to what the instructions say to select: Run the BC_VUP3 utility (not the .msi file)."

It would have been nice if the instructions mentioned selecting the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file rather than to Run the BC_VUP3 utility. How many computer users acknowledge that the .msi file IS the utility?

I think it would be a bit clearer for people if it read: Installation Steps-
Download and unzip BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip. Find the extracted files and open the BC_VUP_V3_03_00 folder. Click on the BC_VUP3.msi file, select Install. Once the utility is installed, go to your Start Menu and select BC_VUP3 to run the utility and follow the on-screen instructions.

And once this utility is installed on your computer, it doesn’t need to be downloaded for future firmware updates. Some people don’t realize this software only needs to be downloaded once.

To upgrade/download any future firmware AFTER the software is installed is done by running the BC_VUP3 software right from your computer and follow the instructions.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Late entry Phase 2 UID capture is inconsistent on the x36hp/SDS series. If you're monitoring more than one system and the scanner stops on a Phase 2 system in mid-conversation, it will not display the UID until the next portion of the conversation. Better luck if you're only monitoring that system, but still isn't consistent.

I have submitted a few debug files that were to be reviewed by engineering, but only slight improvement was made.

When I owned a TRX scanner, this was one thing it surpassed a Uniden scanner...captured all the time. It pained me to admit that...lol!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's been a while since I looked into this issue, but as I recall the x36HP and SDS series did not properly decode/act on priority talkgroup messages on P25 TDMA traffic channels.

Even when Priority Monitor was enabled on the system itself, thus broadcasting priority capable talkgroup grants over the traffic channel low speed data, neither series would act on those messages and preempt the active transmission when a talkgroup flagged for priority in the scanner went active.

mancow

Database Admin
PLEASE PLEASE fix the SDS firmware so that commas in name fields are not sent out with remote data.

Imagine, you are trying to handle comma delimited data and the data itself has commas.

It's a nightmare.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The BCD325P2 will not track a Hytera Tier 3 DMR system. By contrast the BCD536HP will so there is a firmware issue with the 325. Expect the same problem with BCD996P2 as well. This is a problem with Hytera systems only. See the thread: BCD325P2: - Need help programming DMR Tier 3. Follow the link to the East Mountain thread as well for more background.

Noted and added to the list for review.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Will we ever see Uniden take responsibility for the audio (HUM) defect on numerous SDS200's? I think they should start a repair campaign to fix the 'manufacturing defect' of not properly grounding the display circuit board & chassis. It's not fair for Uniden to expect owners to learn to live with it, or even attempt repairing it themselves at the risk of voiding their warranty or worse yet, destroy their scanner. While the repair is not overly complicated, it's all the more reason why Uniden should man-up and resolve it once and for all. This should be done especially on new, currently manufactured scanners. This would go a long way to help restore Uniden's reputation and restore consumer confidence in their products.

Thank you.

I cannot commit to that campaign, but I can commit to bringing it up for discussion internally.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hey Joe, I should have clarified that it was the BC_VUP software. I used it for the BC125AT, BCD15X, BCD325P2, and the BCD996P2.
Things might have changed since I've done any firmware upgrades/downloads but here is my take, and like I said earlier, some wording might have changed in Uniden's instructions since I downloaded the software:

The Uniden Web site instructions aren't too clear.

These are the installation Steps from the Uniden Web site:
"Download
BC_VUP3 Firmware Updater for DMA Scanners, unzip the file, then run the installer to install this utility. Then, run the utility and follow the on-screen prompts to select the scanner model and firmware version to apply.

When I unzip that folder, I see a folder labeled BC_VUP_V3_03_00. Inside that folder is a setup.exe file and a Setup_BC_VUP.msi file.

The only reason I selected the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file is because it was the closest match to what the instructions say to select: Run the BC_VUP3 utility (not the .msi file)."

It would have been nice if the instructions mentioned selecting the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file rather than to Run the BC_VUP3 utility. How many computer users acknowledge that the .msi file IS the utility?

I think it would be a bit clearer for people if it read: Installation Steps-
Download and unzip BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip. Find the extracted files and open the BC_VUP_V3_03_00 folder. Click on the BC_VUP3.msi file, select Install. Once the utility is installed, go to your Start Menu and select BC_VUP3 to run the utility and follow the on-screen instructions.

And once this utility is installed on your computer, it doesn’t need to be downloaded for future firmware updates. Some people don’t realize this software only needs to be downloaded once.

To upgrade/download any future firmware AFTER the software is installed is done by running the BC_VUP3 software right from your computer and follow the instructions.

Thank you. I will clarify this across all TWIKI pages. One note: I believe the SETUP.EXE is the correct file to use. In the past I have noted the same confusion personally when BC_VUP was initially released. A desktop icon and/or start menu icon would be a nice addition, too, but that would require an engineering change. The clarification I can commit to doing, and this is a good time to do it while the TWIKIs are being updated.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Late entry Phase 2 UID capture is inconsistent on the x36hp/SDS series. If you're monitoring more than one system and the scanner stops on a Phase 2 system in mid-conversation, it will not display the UID until the next portion of the conversation. Better luck if you're only monitoring that system, but still isn't consistent.

I have submitted a few debug files that were to be reviewed by engineering, but only slight improvement was made.

When I owned a TRX scanner, this was one thing it surpassed a Uniden scanner...captured all the time. It pained me to admit that...lol!

I have noted this as well - mainly on the SDS series (as well as some other issues). Do you recall the approximate date of your debug submission? BTW, I noted this while scanning only one system, too.

Yes, there are some things "others" are better at. I am going to try to rectify that provided there are not patent roadblocks.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It's been a while since I looked into this issue, but as I recall the x36HP and SDS series did not properly decode/act on priority talkgroup messages on P25 TDMA traffic channels.

Even when Priority Monitor was enabled on the system itself, thus broadcasting priority capable talkgroup grants over the traffic channel low speed data, neither series would act on those messages and preempt the active transmission when a talkgroup flagged for priority in the scanner went active.

This will be added to the list, but at a (slightly) lower priority than some other issues since it involves more intense research and debugging. Would you be willing to help debug this issue?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
PLEASE PLEASE fix the SDS firmware so that commas in name fields are not sent out with remote data.

Imagine, you are trying to handle comma delimited data and the data itself has commas.

It's a nightmare.

Makes sense, and I can see the problem. Does this exist in other models as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.