Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
A new thought in the various firmware updates.
If possible, remove 862.0000-869.0000 from the service search as rebanding is completed (or all but done).

chris

Isn't that part of the band still used in Canada?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
With all due respect, I find that comment to be more than a bit strange coming from an official Uniden Rep. Especially in a "Help Me Help You" thread.

Repair turnaround times are certainly a concern for anyone buying a $700 USD radio. Storms and other "acts of God" notwithstanding.

I didn't say they were not important. I am merely pointing out
that I am not in charge of the service department. That is a fact.

While I will help when I can, I cannot take any action other than letting
management know about the long wait times (which I have already done).

That is the only power I have in this situation.

This thread is about identifying things that are in my scope, not things that are not.

If you have an issue that involves the following, that is applicable:
1. Hardware issues (systemic, not individual - like the hum issue)
2. Bugs in the firmware or software
3. Website issues
4. Feature requests

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I have to respectfully disagree with that Chris. I personally would never ask for any existing frequency coverage to be removed from any radio under any circumstance. I know a lot of folks that love to search, scan and close-call on non-allocated frequencies listening for "pirate" activity. If it's not doing any harm being there, then let it be.

If anything, I want MORE frequency coverage, not less.

My understanding is removal from the service search - not the scanner.

MStep

(Snipped for brevity......)

I didn't say they were not important. I am merely pointing out
that I am not in charge of the service department. That is a fact.

While I will help when I can, I cannot take any action other than letting
management know about the long wait times (which I have already done).

That is the only power I have in this situation.

I appreciate that you have more clearly defined your parameters, and at least Uniden can never say they weren't told. I see that other thread(s) have started to pop up mentioning the inordinate wait times that some are facing getting their units back from repair. Storms, blackouts, and other issues notwithstanding.

Thank you for taking note.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I appreciate that you have more clearly defined your parameters, and at least Uniden can never say they weren't told. I see that other thread(s) have started to pop up mentioning the inordinate wait times that some are facing getting their units back from repair. Storms, blackouts, and other issues notwithstanding.

Thank you for taking note.

Frankly, it would be much easier trying to add people to the existing facility if that is what is needed. Of course, COVID protocols may mandate that some of the existing staff is not currently working full-time which is the opposite of what is needed. I know management has been torn due to those protocols and many are working from home when possible.

The storm was an isolated incident. Compare that 1-week delay with other countries that schedule 5 weeks off throughout each year for holidays (plus emergencies and personal days on top of that).

I wonder if Cheyenne Mtn is available for the new Uniden HQ... :cool:

sfb88

In the repair delay thread it was posted

I hate to break it to you, but I sent a radio in around 12/15. It had an expected return date of 1/14. I called the other day to follow-up and they said that they do not have the needed board and there is no estimate of when it will be available. I asked them what is next, or if there anything that they can do to expedite the process. They said there is nothing that can be done.

Joe, do you think it might be reasonable in a case like this to ask management to replace the scanner from new stock?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
In the repair delay thread it was posted

Joe, do you think it might be reasonable in a case like this to ask management to replace the scanner from new stock?

I could, but I also want to be careful to NOT step on toes, and it seems this is an issue for the service manager and management to decide. The person with the issue should call Customer Service and make your suggestion.

I also happen to know of one case where the scanner was 'messed with' to the point it may not be repairable (broken display, pinched wires, damaged connectors, shorted audio). In that case I believe they are going to offer a replacement unit at a discounted cost. But again that is between the service department and the customer.

BTW, that reply about a case inquiry took over a week and it was specifically due to the weather. That was stated in the reply with an apology for the delayed reply. You would normally never hear about that side of the service department adventures. (and I REALLY hope this is not the SAME CASE or I could understand the delay!!!)

I might just have to ask that question. However, even if I find it is the same case I would not post that here.

I would like to see a firmware upgrade on the BCD325P2 that allows the "Tone/Code Search" to decode both "CTCSS/DCS and NAC/CC/RAN/Area" at the same time instead of having to choose one. The SDS series can do this, why can't the BCD325P2 do this?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Why might it not be able? Different design. Vastly different. The SDS series is more different than the 325P2 vs a BC210.

I will see if that is possible and will add it to the list.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Well....30 pages of suggestions, what/if any responses have been received? What's "possible" vs. "pie in the sky" suggestion for improvements?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Responses from who? The wish list (feature requests) will not be addressed until the bugs are addressed which won't be addressed until the software issues are addressed (few if any) which won't be addressed until the hardware issues are addressed (that is where we are now). That part is almost complete. I expect the software issues to be pretty quick. Then it's on to major bugs.

What is possible? That depends on how much the bug fixes cost in resources. (read engineering time and money)

But having the baseline to work with is what is being gathered.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Responses from who? The wish list (feature requests) will not be addressed until the bugs are addressed which won't be addressed until the software issues are addressed (few if any) which won't be addressed until the hardware issues are addressed (that is where we are now). That part is almost complete. I expect the software issues to be pretty quick. Then it's on to major bugs.

What is possible? That depends on how much the bug fixes cost in resources. (read engineering time and money)

But having the baseline to work with is what is being gathered.

Engineering for one. 30 pages of suggestions for improvements and I see "its on the list". That's understandable, but has this list been presented to anyone who would be able to perform the resolution to the issues? Would any of the resolutions be resolvable with the current scanner/firmware or will certain issues have to wait until a potential future model?

MStep

Engineering for one. 30 pages of suggestions for improvements and I see "its on the list". That's understandable, but has this list been presented to anyone who would be able to perform the resolution to the issues? Would any of the resolutions be resolvable with the current scanner/firmware or will certain issues have to wait until a potential future model?

I too feel your frustrations werinshades. But, it appears they are tackling this first from the manufacturing end. I don't know how much outsourcing they do for parts or boards or screens coming from various places in Asia, but it has to be a nightmare getting everything coordinated.

Now all of this comes, of course, from my own perspective and experience, so this is just my own "take" on the situation.

It's going to be virtually impossible to do anything "hardware-wise" with the exisiting units being used in the field. It's just not going to be practical. So they have to concentrate on what is on the production line at the current time. It's not even practical to recall anything from the supply chain. That stuff is out of their hands.

Joe mentioned that software is next, so that should be applicable to anyone using the Sentinel program. That's a lot easier, once everyone can agree on what's needed. All it takes for distribution is a download.

Bug fixes? It seems to me that only if they can be accomplished by firmware updates for units in the field. The "elephant in the room" with firmware is that you have to make sure you don't "break" stuff while trying to "fix" something else. A lot of folks here have made a lot of great suggestions (even I made a few) for things that we would like to see the radio do through software/firmware, but because of the forementioned, firmware is tricky.

All of this comes, of course, from my own perspective and experience. And I'm certainly not speaking for Joe Bearcat, but merely giving my own perspective on what to expect.

Anyone who thought anything MAJOR was going to occur in the a product line that is +-2 years, may have been mistaken, although there are always surprises (maybe add'l modes or some new button sequences to accomplish certain new features), but it seems to me that most of the "big ticket" items are in fact going to be relegated to future flagship models.

One man's opinion.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
True, you don't speak for me MStep, but what you wrote is dead on except perhaps for the last paragraph.

I don't know yet what might be possible to be added to the current models. Obviously I expect bug fixes to be fixed (via firmware as you said), but the feature requests will be evaluated when that time comes.

@ werinshades, read my last post. We are in the hardware phase. Yes, when applicable recommendations have been made to engineering. No requests for features have been made yet because fixing bugs, hardware and software is more important than adding features. Let's get what is there working right before adding to it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
@ werinshades, read my last post. We are in the hardware phase. Yes, when applicable recommendations have been made to engineering. No requests for features have been made yet because fixing bugs, hardware and software is more important than adding features. Let's get what is there working right before adding to it.
Would that include getting the functionality of the micro USB ports on the SDS models working? :D

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Would that include getting the functionality of the micro USB ports on the SDS models working? :D

We are still trying to determine what all those can do and what plans UPMan had for them, but yes some recommendations have been made with respect to those based on the speculated capabilities.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I've been reading the posts Joe, and that's why I asked. Out of all the suggestions/issues/bug reports that have been posted, which ones fall under the "when applicable" status? I think it's a good thing to be collecting this information, but where is it really going?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.