Help me with my touchey coax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Hello
I have a k30 mobile antenna. I'm very happy with the performance, but there is a problem. Where the coax comes to the connecter, it is very touchy. The coax must be in the right postition for it to work. The radio is not mounted. I got a new connecter twice. What should I do now? BTW the coax always bends.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The coax has a break. DON'T TRANSMIT! You'll need to replace the connector. Then I'd suggest a strain relief of some sort. Mayhaps a 90 degree adapter from your local radio supplier.

radio10-8

Time for new cable

If it has a short, it won't get better on it's own, cut it and attach a new connector, if you don't want to tackle a project like that, check with a local stereo installations or LE ot Fire vehicle outfitter in your area. Good Luck

n4yek

Twister_2 said:
Hello
I have a k30 mobile antenna. I'm very happy with the performance, but there is a problem. Where the coax comes to the connecter, it is very touchy. The coax must be in the right postition for it to work. The radio is not mounted. I got a new connecter twice. What should I do now? BTW the coax always bends.
1) When you replaced it, was the problem still there?
If it was I would bet the connector in the radio might have an intermittent connection.

2) If when you replaced the connector were you using 'crimp-on' or 'solder-on' connectors?
Crimp on connectors are not too reliable over long periods of time, especially when a bending strain is put on them. It is best to use solder-on.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.