• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help me with static / interference sound I'm getting

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
I'm scanning this system: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=195

Every once in a while, it'll get hung up on a talk group (I only scan fire/rescue) and it'll emit the loud "staticy" or "digital garble" type sound. Eventually it'll end, and continue to display the same TG, but I won't be hearing the correct audio. For instance, it'll get stuck on Fire rescue paging, and I'll hear bus drivers or police officers talking after a long period of the static.

Any idea what's causing this?

brandon

Database Admin
Let me guess... your using a PRO-96/2096 scanner?

I've experienced the same thing. There is a bug with that scanner on digital talkgroups. It seems to occur on systems where all the digital stuff is above 30000 or so. I have this happen with the San Diego County RCS --- all analog is below 30000 and digital above. Ditto on the Orange County TRS.... analog is all lower talkgroups and digital is up in the 40000-50000 range.

I looked at your system and its setup just like that. The digital is higher talkgroups above 30000 and analog all lower talkgroups.

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
brandon said:
Let me guess... your using a PRO-96/2096 scanner?

I've experienced the same thing. There is a bug with that scanner on digital talkgroups above 32000 or so. I noticed that system is setup just like that.
Actually, I'm not. I'm using a BCD-996T.

brandon

Database Admin
UFEMTFF said:
Actually, I'm not. I'm using a BCD-996T.

Wierd. I have not run into this with mine, but I don't get to monitor much digital trunking since I moved out of San Diego. Hopefully someone can provide a solution to your problem.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
seamusg said:
It's not a P25 system. It has a 3600 bps control channel not a 9600 bps control channel.
I know. My only choices for systems are as follows:

Conventional
Moto Type 1
Moto Type 2 / P25
EDACS
EDACS S.C.A.T.
LTR
RACE

I can't chose Type II only, the choice is combined.

slicerwizard

UFEMTFF said:
Every once in a while, it'll get hung up on a talk group (I only scan fire/rescue) and it'll emit the loud "staticy" or "digital garble" type sound. Eventually it'll end, and continue to display the same TG, but I won't be hearing the correct audio. For instance, it'll get stuck on Fire rescue paging, and I'll hear bus drivers or police officers talking after a long period of the static.
Your squelch is set too low. Noise from local sources (your PC, maybe?) is keeping the scanner on the voice channel.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
slicerwizard said:
Your squelch is set too low. Noise from local sources (your PC, maybe?) is keeping the scanner on the voice channel.
I thought that, but the only thing that is weird, ist that at the end of the static type sound, I hear both sides of a conversation from another talkgroup on the system.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
slicerwizard said:
What's weird about that?
Sorry - To be more specific, the scanner is on ID Scan, and I only have 10 TGs programmed. I only listen to Fire, and I'll hear police, bus drivers, or public works after the static.

slicerwizard

No. Status bits have no relation to this issue.

Turning up the squelch, turning on end code detection and eliminating any interference (e.g. by using an outside antenna) will minimize the problem.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
slicerwizard said:
No. Status bits have no relation to this issue.

Turning up the squelch, turning on end code detection and eliminating any interference (e.g. by using an outside antenna) will minimize the problem.
End code detection is on, I'll turn squelch up a little bit. THanks.

scottjh

Control Channel Noise

UFEMTFF,

I think setting each talk group to digital in place of analog will alleviate the condition you are speaking of. It will most likely be easiest to do this via computer as this setting has to be effected for each talk group

scottjh

Control Channel Noise

One other thought make sure that digital end code is enabled. In the event of a stuck repeater with digital end code enabled the radio will continue to scan when transmission ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.