HELP! Monroe County!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know whats going on with Monroe County MPSCS? No ones scanner is picking up anything, just happened within the past two days! Thanks

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Monroe

It's called rebanding. All the frequencies will change by 15MHz. The database here at RR reflects that and has for some time now. During the start of rebanding RR had both the new and old frequencies so if you auto programmed the scanner it would work no matter what. If you look at the MPSCS page here on RR you will see most sites have all changed the schedule look slike all will be complete by tomorrow for the entire state if bad weather doesn't interfere.

Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpscs/MPSCS_B2014-03_444906_7.pdf?20140123125808

It looks like Monroe was done yesterday So reprogram the radio wit the new frequencies and it will work.

Les

Does anyone know whats going on with Monroe County MPSCS? No ones scanner is picking up anything, just happened within the past two days! Thanks

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Monroe

Try them all there may be a control channel change that nobody has reported yet. Since they just programmed it they could have changed to one of the others. I would check each one and see and if it has them submit that to RR so we can update it.

Les

Les thank you for your reply, I put in the 2 control channels but still nothing!

Well, I put in all 10 freqs listed still nothing, guess i will have to wait for a listing update?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Well, I put in all 10 freqs listed still nothing, guess i will have to wait for a listing update?

If you are using an older Radio Shack scanner such as the Pro-96/2096; you may need to modify the scanners front end of the receiver in order to here the new control channels. Early models of these scanners were never designed to receive these frequencies and therefore some modification may be necessary. For what it's worth, I just drove north on US-23 through Monroe and I was hearing everything fine on both the BCD396XT and the new BCD436HP on the new control channels. BTW, the new control channels are as follows:

That is all that you should need to program; unless of course, you are using the older Radio Shack scanners...

2096/96

W2GLD, What exactly is it I have to do to my PRO-2096/PRO-96 to get them to work? Also, I havent been home to try my RS Home Patrol with the new control channels yet to see if it is going to work.Thanks!

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
W2GLD, What exactly is it I have to do to my PRO-2096/PRO-96 to get them to work? Also, I havent been home to try my RS Home Patrol with the new control channels yet to see if it is going to work.Thanks!

The Homepatrol shouldn't have any issues once you update the control channels. As for the modifications to Radio Shack scanners, it has something to due with swapping a few internal components; you'll have to do some searching on the web for that procedure, I do not own any Radio Shack or GRE scanners any longer.

Good luck, but I personally think it's time to retire the Pro-96/2096 scanners...

mikey60

If you are using an older Radio Shack scanner such as the Pro-96/2096; you may need to modify the scanners front end of the receiver in order to here the new control channels. Early models of these scanners were never designed to receive these frequencies and therefore some modification may be necessary.

The new frequencies have always been included in the PRO-96/2096 as standard frequencies. There should be no hardware modification needed to monitor the MPSCS after rebanding other than entering the new frequencies into the programming.

Mike

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The new frequencies have always been included in the PRO-96/2096 as standard frequencies. There should be no hardware modification needed to monitor the MPSCS after rebanding other than entering the new frequencies into the programming.

Mike

Mike, I'm only reporting what many others across the country have experienced with Rebanding and the Radio Shack scanners; remember, Michigan is one of the last places to reband.

If you do a quick Google search about the issue, you'll find countless reports about the lack of sensitivity of these receivers in the lower portion of the 800 MHz. band. Somewhere out here is a link from someone in Texas that worked for Radio Shacks repair facility, he found a way to bring these radios back to specs, but it required a slight hardware modification of a few internal components. My father, back in Philadelphia still has a a Radio Shack Pro-2096 and after Rebanding, it can no longer decode properly either, no matter what we've tried (custom tables, etc.). It's an early serial number covered by this article. Others in the Philadelphia area had the same issues, except those with late model serial numbers of these radios. Others have modified their radios and they are now working again. We no longer have any of these legacy radios to test with as we've all upgraded for Project-25 Phase II at this point, but this is an issue with these scanners and Rebanding.

My guess is, if a user has one of these units AND they are close in to the tower site they are listening to (full scale on the s-meter)' than everything will likely work; however, those who had marginal signals, let's say anything less then full scale, they may indeed have issues.

Again, only sharing experiences I've had and other topics I've scene to attempt to help this user. I think we can all agree, with GRE's demise, and Rebanding, AND Phase II on the horizon, it's time to start replacing these old units anyhow, especially given all the LCD failures, which many should begin experiencing about now, given the age of this radio. Shame GRE used such a substandard part,, otherwise that wouldn't have been an issue.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro-96

The Pro-96 and 2096 was indeed designed to receive these frequencies.The 800 MHz analog systems were using these frequencies long before the Pro-96 came out. You may be confusing adding 700MHz to the radio. You can do that with Win96 but the radio will not automatically track the addition of 700MHz since the CPU wasn't coded for it. You'll see sensitivity drops off a lot too.

Page 110 lists the original band that the Pro-96 covered.
http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc71/71778.pdf

Don Starrs sensitivity tests for an opened up Pro-96 (Adding 700MHz as well as a few others)
Win96 - Data Management Software for the PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner

Les

If you are using an older Radio Shack scanner such as the Pro-96/2096; you may need to modify the scanners front end of the receiver in order to here the new control channels. Early models of these scanners were never designed to receive these frequencies and therefore some modification may be necessary. For what it's worth, I just drove north on US-23 through Monroe and I was hearing everything fine on both the BCD396XT and the new BCD436HP on the new control channels. BTW, the new control channels are as follows:

That is all that you should need to program; unless of course, you are using the older Radio Shack scanners...

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
Monroe locked out of local scanner channels

I noticed yesterday that I could longer listen to my Pro 96 scanner. It had been working fine the previous day. The message said that all channels were locked out. I called Radio Shack and the sales person told me that Monroe, which is following Detroit, has locked out scanners from listening. He thought they may have switched to different ways of broadcasting. Did anyone hear anything about this and will it be locked out forever. Thanks to anyone who might know about this. Jan

mikey60

I don't want to totally hijack the thread, but Warren used to use frequencies on their trunked system in the 851-854 range. I never had problems picking them up on my PRO-96 when I used it. I suppose they could have some sensitivity drift issues, but they should work without modification otherwise.

Mike

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I noticed yesterday that I could longer listen to my Pro 96 scanner. It had been working fine the previous day. The message said that all channels were locked out. I called Radio Shack and the sales person told me that Monroe, which is following Detroit, has locked out scanners from listening. He thought they may have switched to different ways of broadcasting. Did anyone hear anything about this and will it be locked out forever. Thanks to anyone who might know about this. Jan

The only thing that changed is the frequencies, which moved down 15 mhz. Where are you seeing a message that all channels are locked out.

Note, in the future don't believe anything a radio shack employee tells you about scanners, they have no idea what they are talking about.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Note, in the future don't believe anything a radio shack employee tells you about scanners, they have no idea what they are talking about.

I will second that. The people there are only good for trying to sell you a cell phone. Monroe (and Detroit) is working as it always has... only 15mhz lower then it was before. It sounds like there might be some kind of issue with the programming on your scanner. I assure you that if the new control channels are put in properly, and there are no other programming issues, you will start hearing everyone again. As someone who owns a Pro-96 and has gone through the re-banding, I can tell you no hardware modifications are required for the MPSCS. Don't give up on it.

BearX243

Premium Subscriber
Monroe County

Has anyone herd anything from the new channels yet our found a fix for our radio's so we can hear them.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
The only "fix" needed is to program your scanner with the new frequencies. Nothing else changed with the system.

BearX243

Premium Subscriber
Monroe County

The only "fix" needed is to program your scanner with the new frequencies. Nothing else changed with the system.

I downloaded them today from the database and still dead nothing from Monroe

Status
Not open for further replies.