Help! My Pro-18 screen frozen How to reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatuppa

I have a Pro-18 and ws doing an update until it froze. Even if I take out the batteries all night, it is still frozen and cannot get it to turn off. There seem to be no reset button. I have searched for hours to find a way to do a hard reset to no avail. If anyone can advise me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

mikey60

If the last line on the display is "Waiting for PC/IF", then it's waiting for a CPU firmware update. Try the update again. If successful, you should be back in business.

Mike

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
Pro 18

Mine is acting the same way, did the same things, got this error msg that stated, error, turn off and cannot get it to turn off, even took batteries out for 2 hours. what next?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If the last line on the display is "Waiting for PC/IF", then it's waiting for a CPU firmware update. Try the update again. If successful, you should be back in business.

Mike

It appears the update is not available from the server. Perhaps it's being migrated to another server?

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-18 and ws doing an update until it froze. Even if I take out the batteries all night, it is still frozen and cannot get it to turn off. There seem to be no reset button. I have searched for hours to find a way to do a hard reset to no avail. If anyone can advise me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Make sure the batteries are out & it is unplugged from the USB/power cable that is connected to your computer. It should turn off since there is no power going to the scanner.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Would that make my computer not recognize it too?

Check the device manager for the Pro-18 in the COM ports, if it's not shown either the driver is not installed or the radio port is not communicating with the computer.

You can try uninstalling the driver if the radio is not communicating, but if you check the driver properties it should tell you if the device is connected properly.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
When I plug it in, it beeps on the computer, then I let go of the menu button on the scanner and 2 beeps sound, but cannot find the scanner in the ports, has other names, but not Pro-18. It's about ready to go for target practice... lol

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You can't see the drive letter of the SD card if the radio is connected in firmware update mode. The COM port would be connected to one or the other, but not at the same time. You're currently in the firmware update mode.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Right, because the radio is waiting for firmware to be installed. Without the radio firmware you're dead in the water.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Or wait until we get some information about the server being back up. Then you can install the firmware and you should be go to go again.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That depends when it occurs. If you subscribe to this thread at the top of the page, I'm sure the fine folks here on Radioreference will post as sure as it's available. Often the best way is to use the Tapatalk smartphone app in the iPhone or Android app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.