Help needed for updating encrypted agencies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, so my little COVID lockdown project has been to start updating the encrypted agencies section of the wiki as some places appear to be really out of date. I've worked on my local area as well as some US states by looking a the RRDB. If you know an agency that is encrypted or would like to add to the list for your state, county, or city, please add it to the wiki or send me a PM. I could use all the help as it can get as this is a pretty big project. Thank you.

Admins - maybe we can add this as a sticky to the top of the wiki page as this is an ongoing project?

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Also the big systems in the US (Ohio MARCS, STARCOM21, & MPSCS) If there are people in those areas that can starting adding encrypted agencies from those systems into the the encrypted angecies wiki, that would be great! Thank you!

RayAir

Also the big systems in the US (Ohio MARCS, STARCOM21, & MPSCS) If there are people in those areas that can starting adding encrypted agencies from those systems into the the encrypted angecies wiki, that would be great! Thank you!

Looks like a lot of work.. What are you using to identify the encryption algorithm type in use? Like if something is ADP, DES or AES?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I try to do my part here in Kentucky and South East TN. Most of our agencies here are using P25 or NXDN and only use 2 algo's, AES-256 and 15-Bit scrambling are the most popular but some still run DES and ADP on channels. Although the list doesn't really play a role in anything scanning-wise for myself and a few others in the area I still like to keep it refreshed.

ltginrage

What happen to only putting Dispatch/day to day operations? Alot of Tact/Corrects/Event channel encryption is listed

azslogan

Fully Encrypted…

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police (combined Las Vegas, NV & Clark County, NV agency
North Las Vegas, NV Police Dept.
Boulder City, NV Police Dept.

In the process of going encrypted…

Nevada Highway Patrol

no further info known.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
What happen to only putting Dispatch/day to day operations? Alot of Tact/Corrects/Event channel encryption is listed
So quite a bit late to this discussion, but I'm going to echo this thought. The page was originally created by Lindsay in 2009 with an early version of the warning that is currently at the top of the page.

PLEASE READ:
  • The purpose of this page is to gather information about agencies that encrypt their general dispatch and common public safety operations.
  • Please do not add agencies that encrypt tactical or other sensitive communications - this page is to only list agencies that encrypt general dispatch operations (police, fire, ems dispatch ops)
  • P25 (Project 25) is NOT a form of encryption. See the link for an explanation of what Project 25 is, and how it's used

The changes in the past couple months have been largely included the "tactical or other sensitive communications" that the message indicates should not be on the page and has nearly tripled the article length.

I had thought of the prior version of the article as being useful for being able to find a concise list for agencies that one should not bother with trying to listen and to direct other people to see so that know which agencies they should not bother with trying to monitor. It is seems to be trending towards a list of every agency that uses digital voice because of how easy it is to encrypt a single talkgroup.

gary123

I think the list should cover the presence tactical and sensitive TGs. This vastly improves the accuracy of the list and thus the information available for members. It is a fact of life now that so many agencies are encrypting but even knowing what algo is in use has its advantages.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I think the list should cover the presence tactical and sensitive TGs. This vastly improves the accuracy of the list and thus the information available for members. It is a fact of life now that so many agencies are encrypting but even knowing what algo is in use has its advantages.

Your absolutely right Gary. The criteria should be updated. Technology has certainly come a long way since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.