help needed with a Pro96 in Halifax, NS.`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I need some help programing a RS Pro96 using Win96 software, for the Halifax NS area. (NSTMR)

I have the control channels set up for each tower I want to monitor, each tower in a seperate memory bank, I have all the Talkgroups I want to monitor set up, which are confirmed TGs, and also I set the banks to Closed..

I have everything set to MOT mode, and set the MOT 3600 CC to Normal, as well I set the MOT 9600 CC to Normal.

So I thought I was done, click upload to scanner....then nothing but unscrambled TMR noise lol...

Can anyone help me out??

mciupa

Database Admin
I have everything set to MOT mode, and set the MOT 3600 CC to Normal, as well I set the MOT 9600 CC to Normal.

Wouldn't the mode have to be 3600 or 9600 ? :confused:
It can't be both.

Find out from your Maritime buddies which one it truly is. :)

Yes Chris, everything is set to MOT.

How would I set it to 3600 CC only in Win96?? It gives both options, and no way to select one or the other inside Win96.

Also, do I set it to 3600 CC, in Normal mode, or would I need to use a custom table? If so, what are the numbers needed? (Base Freq, Offset, and Step KHz)

Last edited:
Ok, so now I have it working, partially at least.. I can pick up the MED C-1 channel, and hear thier transmissions clearly off the Geizers Hill site..but all the police TGs still dont come in clear, I hear the TMR noise, and it even shows on the display which TG is transmitting, but its not being de-crypted/de-coded or whatever, its just the annoying noise, I think its the control channel noise if I understand this stuff a bit..

I had to change the 3600 CC mode to Multi Table, then when I open up the Extended Tables, I set that option to 800 MHz Splinter, and left the default numbers alone.

So its working partially, but still no Police, which is the main goal here..any suggestions??

hfxChris

Database Admin
Ah I see what you mean. It's been a while since I've looked at Win96.
Set both to Normal.

When you hear the digital noise, what is displayed on the screen?

Ok, it seems to be working now, with it set to Normal, I dont get it lol...maybe the firmware update I did fixed it, thats totally weird, I tried the normal setting so many times..

questions for you Chris, do you only have the 2 control frequencies, or did you put all the possible freqs. for each tower into the banks?

Last edited:

scnnr

Ok, it seems to be working now, with it set to Normal, I dont get it lol...maybe the firmware update I did fixed it, thats totally weird, I tried the normal setting so many times..

questions for you Chris, do you only have the 2 control frequencies, or did you put all the possible freqs. for each tower into the banks?

If using the win 96 program to upload the file you have set up you would indeed leave the box on the right both set to normal for the 3600 & 9600 . Since this is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink system , the same as what we have in Manitoba you should be able to monitor anything that is marked Analog ..A or Digital D. Do not try and program in any of those that are marked E Encryption.

If you are not using the Win 96 program you might want to check out this link.. It is great for manually doing edits on the pro 96

Programming Shortcut Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki

All you need is the Control channel and the alternates Red & Blue frequencies programmed in.

Good luck

Last edited:

bowser22

Ok, so our system is the aliant tmrs. Its type 2 omnilink. On my psr-500 I created one tsys then plugged in every red and blue frequency for my zone (zone 2). Then created talk groups around that tsys. In your settings its MOT 800/900 and its a 3600 bit CC because its still analog.

Thanks soooo much for the help guys, I got it working now, well, for the most part.

I pick up all the Digital channels for police, and others I'm looking to monitor, but for some reason, the sound is still garbeled, its like its not working correctly. Its not a signal issue, cause the other scanner I have, on the same external antenna (same freqs and TGs in both scanners) comes in loud and clear, not broken up or garbeled at all..

The other thing I tried was listening with head phones, but I get the same thing with the headphones..so that kinda eliminates a problem with the speak right?? its like something is interfering with the signal, or its not docoding it fast enuff or something.

Anyone else have this sort of issue??

They are channels I hear fine on my other scanner tho VE1SEF...on the Pro 96, I hear the transmissions, but its like they break up, or are only half audible, its really weird..its almost like something is creating some interference, maybe im too close to my computers, or idk what..

Last edited:

ve1sef

Could be interference.
I do recall some mention on one of "sites". That there seem
to be problem with some digital talk groups not "de-coding"
properly.The issue could be the radio system your monitoring
and not your scanner.

Im trying to listen to the Geizers Hill site, and the Tantallon site as a secondary one..I have each site in thier own bank..it just seems weird that my 396 works without any issue, under identical conditions..

could it be that the Tantallon site is causeing some interference, and the Pro96 is more sensative then the 396, so its getting overloaded or something weird?? If so anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it?

Ive tried only the Geizers site alone, without haveing Tantallon programmed, and that didnt seem to help at all. If I only listen to Tantallon it seems ok, very clear, but there is hardly any chatter on it for some reason. Seems like I only get the RCMP, no HPD at all.

Last edited:

scnnr

Im trying to listen to the Geizers Hill site, and the Tantallon site as a secondary one..I have each site in thier own bank..it just seems weird that my 396 works without any issue, under identical conditions..

could it be that the Tantallon site is causeing some interference, and the Pro96 is more sensative then the 396, so its getting overloaded or something weird?? If so anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it?

Ive tried only the Geizers site alone, without haveing Tantallon programmed, and that didnt seem to help at all. If I only listen to Tantallon it seems ok, very clear, but there is hardly any chatter on it for some reason. Seems like I only get the RCMP, no HPD at all.

Can you zip up your file and upload it here so we can have a look at it.

I made this quick little file to see if it would work for you. Don't forget to back up / save your set up first if you try the one I just made.

Attachments

• NOVA SCOTIA TEST.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for the file scnnr, unfortunatly it didnt seem to help any, I get semi garbled tranmissions, if it catches them at all, my 396 has been active most of this evening, the Pro-96 just sits there, it catches about 1/4 of what I'm hearing on the 396. It seems with the config you gave me its getting even less to be honest lol...I think there is something wrong with the scanner it self maybe.

I notice you have your control channels broken up, with empty ones between each site, just curious why? I had tried a similar set up, but it didnt seem to help.

Heres the file I have been using, and it seems to work ok, like I said above, it catchs 1/4 of what my 396 is getting, at best..the file is very basic, I tried to keep it minimal, hoping that would help.

Attachments

• Radioshack Pro96.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 63

scnnr

Thanks for the file scnnr, unfortunatly it didnt seem to help any, I get semi garbled tranmissions, if it catches them at all, my 396 has been active most of this evening, the Pro-96 just sits there, it catches about 1/4 of what I'm hearing on the 396. It seems with the config you gave me its getting even less to be honest lol...I think there is something wrong with the scanner it self maybe.

I notice you have your control channels broken up, with empty ones between each site, just curious why? I had tried a similar set up, but it didnt seem to help.

Heres the file I have been using, and it seems to work ok, like I said above, it catchs 1/4 of what my 396 is getting, at best..the file is very basic, I tried to keep it minimal, hoping that would help.

HI ,Your file seems to be fine..

The file that I made was made using the RR web import feature. When imported it leaves those spaces in between various CC's.

It shouldn't make any difference.

I have had my Pro 96 since they first came out back in 2003 and it still works like a charm. Just a thought, if yours is a older version did you do the last and latest firmware upgrade for the scanner? There was one that allowed the pro 96 to track C4FM modulation systems correctly. I see in the Wiki for your system that it says 'The system uses C4FM P25 on the digital talkgroups'

Here is as link to the RR Wiki on the pro96 last upgrade

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-96

Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki

if you are not running the last upgrade you should make sure that you have it and see if that helps out.

Hopefully Chris or one of the other local monitoring guys can help you figure out the problem. I only made my suggestions as it is similar to ours here in Manitoba.

Good luck.

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Yeah nothing wrong with that file.
I think we need more information on this "garbled" sound. I notice the only talkgroups you have programmed ar RCMP and HRP - when you hear this garbled noise, are you hearing any voices at all? Or it it just purely a data sound?
What is displayed on the screen? Are you seeing the alpha tag for the talkgroup?

What if you try programming some analog (non-digital) talkgroups, such as the EHS talkgroups? Listen to them and see how they sound..

To tell the truth, I've never found the Pro-96 to be that wonderful of a receiver... but you should definitely be hearing something.

Any analog TGs I monitor seem to work fine, in that file I had taken out fire and emo, but when they are in there, they seem to come in just fine, maybe not 100% perfect, but clear and audible thru the entire conversation.

As for the police TGs, they are semi audible, I hear the begining, or sometimes the end of the transmission, but some garbeling, its like its going between digital noise, and the voice transmission, I'm gonna try a few more things with these DSP upgrades, and configs, if they dont fix it, I will record a few mins worth of scanning and Zip it up so I can post it, for you to listen, you will hear it right away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.