Tytera Help needed with TYT MD UV 390 use.

KD2NAC

Hi All,
New to DMR use and am trying to figure out my new TYT UV390 radio. So many questions, but I will try to keep them as organized as possible! I am currently adding local DMR repeaters into my radio into zone 1. Some are linked systems that list different talk groups. I have added these talk group names and call ids into the digital contact page.
Here is where my confusion starts. I have the local repeater in question (NJ-TRBO linked network) selected on the front of my radio. Not picking anything up at this moment because I believe I am out of range. If I want to connect to one of full time talk groups, how is this done? I can scroll through the contacts and pick the right group number and it give me an option to view the number; fine. Next it gives an option below to program a key, so I pick #1. If I hit the 1 on the keypad it just shows ch1. So I really don't know how to pick the different full time talk groups. Next question would be how to access the PTT talkgroups.
I am trying to keep this simple as I learn this radio and the workings of digital radio. I don't need a thousand frequencies. I am using the factory software, I assume the firmware is close to the newest. I see people posting all sorts of codeplug files, but I have not found anything to open these files even to view! Thanks for any help getting me started!
Bill A.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
New to DMR use and am trying to figure out my new TYT UV390 radio. So many questions, but I will try to keep them as organized as possible! I am currently adding local DMR repeaters into my radio into zone 1. Some are linked systems that list different talk groups. I have added these talk group names and call ids into the digital contact page.
Here is where my confusion starts. I have the local repeater in question (NJ-TRBO linked network) selected on the front of my radio. Not picking anything up at this moment because I believe I am out of range. If I want to connect to one of full time talk groups, how is this done? I can scroll through the contacts and pick the right group number and it give me an option to view the number; fine. Next it gives an option below to program a key, so I pick #1. If I hit the 1 on the keypad it just shows ch1. So I really don't know how to pick the different full time talk groups. Next question would be how to access the PTT talkgroups.
I am trying to keep this simple as I learn this radio and the workings of digital radio. I don't need a thousand frequencies. I am using the factory software, I assume the firmware is close to the newest. I see people posting all sorts of codeplug files, but I have not found anything to open these files even to view! Thanks for any help getting me started!
Bill A.
Hello and Happy New Year Bill. May I suggest that you have this moved to your State Forum and request a "pre-built Codeplug" from someone local to you. You would then open it with your MD-UV390 CPS. That way, you can see all of the structure that is in a codeplug. Do not change anything in it except putting in your DMR ID. Then write it to your radio.

w2xq

Mentor
You may be out of range or on the fringe of the repeaters on the Nj Ny Pa C bridge – Nj Trbo multi digital system. In the NJ Pine Barrens, as I am, the pitch pines soak up r.f.

My nearest DMR repeater is 12 miles away. I gave up trying to use repeaters and went to a hotspot years ago.

A significant advantage of a hotspot is that it opens a world of talkgroups. There is no usage restriction limited by the repeater owner's choices..

You might find this helpful: W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio: DMR: Codeplug

HTH.

hill

Premium Subscriber
You a to add a contact along with slot and color code to channel to be able to receive any traffic. You add many talk groups by using receive group.

www.repeaterbook.com should show the all the info you need to program DMR. Slot, color code and contact.

If your radio is programmed correctly you will know if you can hit the repeater, since if not you will get a bonk tone. With DMR the radio talks with the repeater before your able to talk and if all is well will get a talk permit tone. This all occurs within less than a second.

KD2NAC

You a to add a contact along with slot and color code to channel to be able to receive any traffic. You add many talk groups by using receive group.

www.repeaterbook.com should show the all the info you need to program DMR. Slot, color code and contact.

If your radio is programmed correctly you will know if you can hit the repeater, since if not you will get a bonk tone. With DMR the radio talks with the repeater before your able to talk and if all is well will get a talk permit tone. This all occurs within less than a second.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I will listen for this tone you mention. There is one Dmr repeater that does come in every now and again, and I think I will take a drive to get closer and make a contact.
I think I have entered all the needed info correctly, color code, slot, etc. My question, since the owners manual is so poor, is more on the actual use of the uv 390. I have a repeater shown in my zone list, but how do I choose a particular talk group from the digital contact list?

hill

Premium Subscriber
I always add the contact that want in each channel. There is a place within the software for each channel to add a contact.

KD2NAC

The link below is a good reference and should help you get it working.

Thanks. So I read this link and it pretty much backs up what I have been doing. If I look at the channel information, there is a a drop down window called contact name. Here I see all the individual contacts and tg numbers that I entered in the digital contact list for group1, zone1. Again where on the uv390 does it show which talk group I am trying to contact? When I look at the screen for zone1, I can arrow up or down to select different channels, but it doesn't show anything else other than the channel name.
I would like to look at the sample code plug listed in this article for the TYT, but it, like every other one, is in RTD format, which I can't open. Doesn't seem like the radios software will import this type of file either. I had mentioned this in my first post. Thanks again!!

KD2NAC

This link from Hill is very usefull, but I am having a problem either looking at or importing a sample codeplug. I see my software for my TYT is creating RDT files in my documents as I go along, BUT when I go to digital contacts and click import, it will only look at/import .csv files. How do I work around this??

KD2NAC

This link from Hill is very usefull, but I am having a problem either looking at or importing a sample codeplug. I see my software for my TYT is creating RDT files in my documents as I go along, BUT when I go to digital contacts and click import, it will only look at/import .csv files. How do I work around this??
Ok, figured out out to open this codeplug file finally!! It will help me building my own codeplug. It might be nice to find one with repeaters in Nj to start.

freqhopping

My advice for codeplug building is Plan Ahead. Especially for the TYT because the CPS sucks, it will screwup an entire plug if you're not aware of its limitations. The G6AMU CPE software is better but has limited functionality.

The first step is creating all the talkgroups. I say put in all the BM and TGIF you can. Include future unassigned talkgroups too for future use or use other local repeaters or whatever. I've programmed from 1 through whatever without a break plus all the BM and TGIF talkgroups that come after that. Some talkgroup #s are unique to each net. In some instances the talkgroup # and use is the same on both. For others the # is the same but the use is different. Label the Talkgroup name appropriately. One you got some programming done, export it to csv. It will be easier to add to it that way.

The talkgroup name really isn't that critical, the channel will be named separately anyways. In some ways I think it would've been easier to have the name the same as the number. You just need a cross-reference when creating the codeplug.

Then add radioIDs if desired. The limited capacity of these radios makes it pointless to even try to load the full database. Maybe limit it to your state and surrounding states. Even by state, new IDs are being created every day so it will never be 100% up to date. Or just program the IDs of people you actually know or communicate with regularly. Once that is complete and sorted to your desire, then import it.

If you want to change the sorting later by importing into the TYT CPS, you will screw up the programming of the contact name in every DMR channel. This is why I say plan ahead.

Then decide what repeaters, analog and digital you want to include and anything else you might want to monitor (rail, NOAA, marine band, business, etc) Plan to group these into zones and plan for the order of the zones. In the TYT CPS you can't move the zones around later.

I have separate analog HAM repeater zones for my local reception area, MD, WV, DC, various regions of VA and sometimes add new zones for distant states while on vacation. You can use the A channel for VHF, B for UHF, makes less of a need to have a V/U distinction in the naming of the channel and don't need to make separate zones for V/U.

Each DMR repeater gets its own zone. I program each of the zones with all the channels available on the repeater. Be sure to add a disconnect TG if the repeater's website doesn't mention it.

I suggest adding the channels in the order of how they will appear in the zones. This will make is easier to add them to the zones.

Once you have some channel programming done (thus creating a template), you then may find it easier to export them and finished the buildout in a spreadsheet where you can copy/paste from other sources and duplicating networked DMR repeaters that use the same talkgroups and only needed a change to the frequencies and channel names.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Bill A.
Have you tried using the N0GSG contact manager?