Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsmannj

I'm having a problem downloading my favorites list from sentinel to my 536. I made an addition to my favorites list and I tried to write it from my computer to my radio but it is NOT downloading into the scanner. Any help would be great thank you.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Edit the profile (pencil with paper icon) and ensure that the FL is set to DOWNLOAD in the profile.

AC2OY

Hi UPS my name is Michael and I'm right next door in Belleville if I can help in any feel free to PM me I have a lot of Essex County stuff in my 536.

upsmannj

Edit the profile (pencil with paper icon) and ensure that the FL is set to DOWNLOAD in the profile.
Hi UPMan I did that and still NOT writing to scanner. What about reinstalling the software or do you think it might be the radio? Let me know THANKS Eric

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just thinking about all possibilities. . .

Are you sure that it is not downloading the Favorites List as compared to the FL is downloaded, but is not being scanned?

On your scanner, try Menu>Manage Favorites and scroll to see if the FL is present.

There are many things that could keep a FL from being scanned, even though the FL is in the scanner.

upsmannj

Just thinking about all possibilities. . .

Are you sure that it is not downloading the Favorites List as compared to the FL is downloaded, but is not being scanned?

On your scanner, try Menu>Manage Favorites and scroll to see if the FL is present.

There are many things that could keep a FL from being scanned, even though the FL is in the scanner.

Hi nope It's not downloaded. I tried the second thing and it's not on the radio.

JoeyC

If you are making a change to an existing FL, make sure you are checking "Erase Favorite Lists on Scanner" during write, or do not choose SKIP or Copy with New Name when prompted during the write if you don't pick the Erase option.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to do a "Read from scanner"? That might be helpful in knowing whether your computer and scanner are talking with each other.

Also, are you able to update the Master Database from Sentinel to your scanner? Another way of confirming the scanner-computer communication is happening as it should.

If both of the above work correctly, then there has to be something with Sentinel and the particular Favorites List. I know Upman previously suggested checking whether the Download and Monitor were set to on. Perhaps you could try creating another Favorites List to see what happens with that.

upsmannj

Are you able to do a "Read from scanner"? That might be helpful in knowing whether your computer and scanner are talking with each other.

Also, are you able to update the Master Database from Sentinel to your scanner? Another way of confirming the scanner-computer communication is happening as it should.

If both of the above work correctly, then there has to be something with Sentinel and the particular Favorites List. I know Upman previously suggested checking whether the Download and Monitor were set to on. Perhaps you could try creating another Favorites List to see what happens with that.

I tried to write from the radio to the computer NO luck. It seems to me that the computer is no longer reading the scanner but DID when I first downloaded my FL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Let's try this and see what happens:

Connect the scanner to your computer with the USB cable. Hit "E/yes" for mass storage. (Hopefully you'll hear something from your computer speakers indicating a connection was made.) It will be where all the hard drives show up.

Then using your Windows Explorer, see if you have a Removable Drive show up, with a capacity similiar to that of the micro SD card in your computer.

Unplug the USB cable and see if that drive disappears. If the drive disappears, that confirms there is a good connection between your computer and scanner with the USB cable.

If you do not see that Removable Drive, that suggests there may be a problem between your computer and scanner, possibly a bad USB cable. Other potential issues are a bad driver for the USB port.

There is another way of programming your scanner's SD card. If you have the ability to plug the micro SD card directly into your computer, most newer computers have HD card slots, just plug the scanner's card in there.

You may need an adapter card for HD to micro SD card. If your computer does not have card slots, you can get a card reader from places like Best Buy.

(I've found that programming my SD card with it being in my card reader hastens the process of writing programming and updating the master database).

Status
Not open for further replies.