help out a newbie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhrrs69

Just brought my HT into the house so i can check in on the local repeater net. This is the first time using the radio in the house, always kept in the truck, but anyways, when i transmitted on the radio, there was a lot of noise or feedback on my computer speakers. (Wouxun ht sitting on my computer desk) What exactly would cause this?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
RF on the speaker wires being amplified by the speakers internal amplifier.. Move the HT away from the speakers until the problem stop, or try a torroidal core wrapped in the speaker cords..

tomhrrs69

thanks for the suggestion, i'll give that a try. I'm planning on putting up an outside antenna soon, so this setup is just temporary.

K9WG

I have never had a set of computer speakers that did not have problems with my handhalds. Amplified computer speakers have to be the worst piece of engineering when it comes to interference. I even tried a torroidal core and that did not help. Only thing I can do is turn them off ;)

tomhrrs69

what is it about handhelds that the speakers cause so much inteference, is it due to the antenna on the handheld. Will i have the same problem if i hook the ht up to an external antenna?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
what is it about handhelds that the speakers cause so much inteference, is it due to the antenna on the handheld. Will i have the same problem if i hook the ht up to an external antenna?

Like n9mxg suggested, try torroid cores on the speaker lines. I have labtec speakers on my desktop and they did the same before the cores were placed at the base of the speakers. Most speaker lines are not sheilded so even cell phones will emit enough rf to get in the speakers. :) A external antenna would help indeed.

n9zas

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
It's more of a proximity thing.. Although when I'm on 80 meters with 100 watts my subwoofer does interesting things.. You're overloading the speakers with RF..

Try this, Walk away from your speakers while transmitting... You'll see how it diminishes with distance..

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I have never had a set of computer speakers that did not have problems with my handhalds. Amplified computer speakers have to be the worst piece of engineering when it comes to interference. I even tried a torroidal core and that did not help. Only thing I can do is turn them off ;)

Ditto in all respects.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
That will work, wrap the speaker wire 8-10 times around the core, at the base of the speaker, snap the core shut.. Should alleviate most if not all of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.