Help picking DMR radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Need help in Picking an portable DMR Radio, it looks like there is DMR VHF Repeater on Mount Diablo, what would be a good radio to get started in DMR?, I was looking for dual band, but Motorola and Hytera only make single bands for DMR, looking around I see lot of manufacturers of dual bands, however I have not used any of them

Thanks

Shon

Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band

Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR Product Reviews

Ailunce HD1 https://blog.retevis.com/ailunce-hd1-dmr-dual-band/ not out yet

TYT MD-2017 Dual Band

TYT MD-2017 VHF-UHF DMR Handheld Product Reviews

AT-D868UV Dual Band Handheld

Connect Systems

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DMR radio

Motorola and Hytera are professional grade (and price), and there is no demand for dual band in those services. I have the GD-77 and it has been very satisfactory for the price. Firmware upgrades for problems have been released quickly, and the build quality is good for the price point. The transmit and receive sound is good, with my only complaint being the monochrome display. If you go VHF only, I would chose the Hytera, which is the radio I have owned the longest. The software and firmware prices are much lower than Motorola, and some sellers provide the files at no charge.

N4KVE

Just remember the dual band DMR radios only just came to market, so the mfr's of these radios are still working out internal bugs with them. With any new product, I always wait until they are perfected. There are other proven single band radios that have been out for over a year now that are proven to be reliable.

Golay

Me personally, I recommend the Radioddity GD-77. $89. Your first DMR radio. You can program it yourself. It's dual band. I mean for $89, and dual band? Go ahead and pick it up. Then if you find DMR is for you, then look into a better radio.

And I know people like to say "it only has 256 contacts". Well, I run XPR's, and have never had the urge to put every contact that's on the MARC database. As I talk to people, I enter the contact info of the people I have actually talked to. I personally see no reason to have Rolando from Slowbonya that I will never talk to, as a contact in my radio.

And I say the following a lot when someone is thinking about getting a digital radio, whether it be DMR, Fusion or D-Star: The directory may list repeaters in your area, but are people actually talking? Program the Mount Diablo repeater into a plain old analog scanner and see if the squelch stays open to where you can tell people are actually using the machine. It would be a shame to buy a digital radio, and find out the repeater you're wanting to talk on is drier than last year's bird's nest. Or someone got the pair, but don't have a repeater. (more common than you think).

questnz

Kinda on the same subject, for RECEIVING only, one will be better off with dedicated DMR radios as per thread or with one of the DMR capable scanners ? any pros and cons on DMR.
PS Mainly not to carry too many radios when traveling,

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Kinda on the same subject, for RECEIVING only, one will be better off with dedicated DMR radios as per thread or with one of the DMR capable scanners ? any pros and cons on DMR.
PS Mainly not to carry too many radios when traveling,

I think if you never plan to transmit, a DMR capable scanner would be much more versatile. They are much easier to program, cover more frequencies, have more channels, decode other digital modes like P25 and they can receive Tier III trunking DMR systems. Most of the lower cost DMR radios are not compatible with Tier III or Motorola MOTOTRBO trunking systems.

questnz

Thank you Steve, it would have to be UBCD3600XLT or TRX-1 International with right firmware for extended UK/Aus/NZ band plan. Maybe Santa will be kind to me? Much appreciated

Rgds Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.