Help Picking New ADS-B receiver & Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I'm looking at ordering new ADS-B receiver system and wanted to get advice on what would be the best for my home looking at AirSpy R2 and The Radarcape the cable run is about 60 to 65 Feet long

I was looking at

AirSpy R2 Airspy R2 | airspy.com

it has 4.5v switched Bias-Tee

was going to use Meinberg NTP software Free NTP Software and Drivers for Meinberg Products!

something else I like about AirSpy R2 it has an External clock input (10 MHz to 100 MHz via MCX connector)

and they have LeoNTP Time Server https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...&product_id=92

was looking at GPS Timing Antenna + 10 Meter Cable SMA https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...&product_id=74

the coax run to the mast where the preamplifier will be located it about 60 Feet

was looking at RG-8 LMR-400DB https://www.timesmicrowave.com/docum...es/LMR-400.pdf

also looking at using RG-6 Quad Shield but does have a higher loss and is 75 ohm

FlightAware ADS-B Antenna

here is a link to a review of it

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/review-flight...na-and-filter/

Uputronics 1090Mhz ADS-B Filtered Preamp with Ceramic Filter https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...&product_id=50

Datasheets

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...FPA1090CER.pdf

enclosure for Uputronics the only thing is the enclosure is Black, and the area I live gets in the upper 90-degree temperature
so I was thinking of painting it white or silver for solar sun reflection

https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...product_id=101

photos of enclosure and setup
Mounting Uputronics LNA’s on the mast | Ava High Altitude Balloon Project

SMA male to SMA female 90' Extender 15 cms RG316 Extended Panel Mount https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...&product_id=58

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the other ADS-B I was looking at is The Radarcape

https://shop.jetvision.de/epages/648...Products/66077

it has a Complete package

Radarcape

Power supply (5 V, 15 W)

5 m network cable

GPS antenna (cable length 5 m)

"Active Diapason“ Antenna

Bias Tee (for power supply of the LNA over USB-jack of a computer)

USB cable

Antenna mount

20 m antenna cable

it uses Active Diapason Antenna I don't know that much about that it's Design by F1OPA and F5ANN

https://shop.jetvision.de/epages/648...Products/68200

here is a link with translation https://translate.google.com/transl...ange.fr/PCBActiveAntenna/index.html&sandbox=1

it comes with 20 m Cable SMA (male) - SMA (male) Typ H155 equivalent, CO 100 AF here is Data sheet http://www.bieffecavi.com/pdf/CO100AFeng

the cable looks like the size of RG-58 would I need to use something with more Shielding like RG-8 LMR-400?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
A lot of people just buy a Raspberry Pi and use the FlightAware or similar dongle. I'm currently running three at remote locations. That would remove the need for you to use external gps, becuase as you said, you can run NTP.

You being where you are would help with coverage in the bay area. Where abouts in WCR are you?

AI6VX

I'm running the Flightaware Pro stick, built in LNA and 1090 filter for ~$20 and a Rasp Pi 2 using the Piaware bin. Using the magnetic antenna from my RTL-SDR dongle next to a window I'm getting ~ 1600 flights per day. Just made a cantenna and will put it on the roof when I get the time.
Lots of info in the discussion forum on FlightAware.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm the last person to knock the Airspys. I love em. I have two of them. But there is a caveat . Youssef will tell you himself that on 1090 mHz you need an external preamp. It's great that the Airspy has a bias tee [which I use] to provide power to a preamp [which I use].

Youssef has a Windows app and a Linux app to do ADS-B on the Airspys. Also, xDeco.org – SDR programs and utility for RTL2832 and Airspy has versions that work with the Airspy as well.

Keeping all of that in mind, if you are interested in using the Airspy for feeding to FlightAware and participating in MLAT, you will need to run a version of the software that works on the piaware and make some adjustments. And you should be aware that when running the Airspy on a piaware kit with the best performance of the Airspy in mind, it is going to use significant CPU resources on the RPI. It could in fact use enough CPU resources that you end up having difficulties with MLAT timing as the CPU usage increases.

I run a Raspberry PI with piaware 3.3.0 and the latest version of the FA Pro Sitick, along with a DPD Productions ADSB-Out antenna, LMR-400 coax, an Uputronics preamp / filter ( HAB-FPA1090SAW ) and a Mini-Circuits power divider (ZAPD-2DC-S+).

The power divider has one output that goes to the antenna and two inputs that come from devices. One of the device inputs will accept bias-tee power and pass it up the antenna. I have an Airspy R2 hooked to it. The other device input doesn't accept power and I have my FA Pro Stick hooked to it.

The Airspy R2 is running on a stout Windows box, using modesdeco2 software (from xdeco.org). I use that to feed planeplotter and my VRS as well as to send data to ADSBExchange. And via planeplotter on that same machine I'm feeding data to various other places.

On the RPI itself, it's feeding Flightaware and ADSBExchange using the FA ProStick.

So, one antenna, one preamp/filter, LMR-400 coax, a power divider, and then Windows + Airspy + ModesDeco2 / RPI + Pro Stick.

The Airspy wouldn't touch the performance of the FA Pro Stick when I wasn't using the preamp. When I added the preamp, it now performs better than the my FA Pro Stick setup. Although I can tell that I still could use / benefit from more amplication at the antenna end -- and am sure the Airspy would perform even better if i could do that. I'm only using 50 feet of LMR-400, but I have many different adapters and pigtails in line -- and between those and the length of the coax, I'm likely losing a few precious DB.

I have never used a Diapason, but I am told that it performs great, partially due to the amp built into the antenna. And that is also why they ship it with the coax they do.

I've never used a RadarCape and can't say anything about it.

Mike

qc

Premium Subscriber
A lot of people just buy a Raspberry Pi and use the FlightAware or similar dongle. I'm currently running three at remote locations. That would remove the need for you to use external gps, becuase as you said, you can run NTP.

You being where you are would help with coverage in the bay area. Where abouts in WCR are you?

Thanks for the help kma371 I'm about 3 Miles ESE from Buchanan Field Airport in Concord

qc

Premium Subscriber
I'm running the Flightaware Pro stick, built in LNA and 1090 filter for ~$20 and a Rasp Pi 2 using the Piaware bin. Using the magnetic antenna from my RTL-SDR dongle next to a window I'm getting ~ 1600 flights per day. Just made a cantenna and will put it on the roof when I get the time.
Lots of info in the discussion forum on FlightAware.

Thanks AI6VX looking at the FlightAware Pro Stick and Pro Stick Plus https://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/
the Amplifier would be inside but cable run is 65 feet if I use LMR-400DB I will have Cable Run Attenuation: 2.8 dB Total Cable Assembly Loss: 3.2 dB at 1090 Mhz I Know optmally the Amplifier should be at the antenna

qc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, mtindor I was looking at uputronics 1090Mhz ADS-B Ceramic Filter & Preamp HAB-FPA1090CER on your Mini-Circuits power divider ZAPD-2DC-S+ does that come with the power supply? I have a Lenovo M700 Intel Tiny desktop with WIN 7 Pro and PlanePlotter I’m old ADS-B Receiver was microADS-B IP receiver v.4 option3 Home it turns off if the outside temperature goes over 76 degrees Fahrenheit I had it for few years and it also is causing RFI on the 2-meter band in 30 foot radius of the unit

I'm the last person to knock the Airspys. I love em. I have two of them. But there is a caveat . Youssef will tell you himself that on 1090 mHz you need an external preamp. It's great that the Airspy has a bias tee [which I use] to provide power to a preamp [which I use].

Youssef has a Windows app and a Linux app to do ADS-B on the Airspys. Also, xDeco.org – SDR programs and utility for RTL2832 and Airspy has versions that work with the Airspy as well.

Keeping all of that in mind, if you are interested in using the Airspy for feeding to FlightAware and participating in MLAT, you will need to run a version of the software that works on the piaware and make some adjustments. And you should be aware that when running the Airspy on a piaware kit with the best performance of the Airspy in mind, it is going to use significant CPU resources on the RPI. It could in fact use enough CPU resources that you end up having difficulties with MLAT timing as the CPU usage increases.

I run a Raspberry PI with piaware 3.3.0 and the latest version of the FA Pro Sitick, along with a DPD Productions ADSB-Out antenna, LMR-400 coax, an Uputronics preamp / filter ( HAB-FPA1090SAW ) and a Mini-Circuits power divider (ZAPD-2DC-S+).

The power divider has one output that goes to the antenna and two inputs that come from devices. One of the device inputs will accept bias-tee power and pass it up the antenna. I have an Airspy R2 hooked to it. The other device input doesn't accept power and I have my FA Pro Stick hooked to it.

The Airspy R2 is running on a stout Windows box, using modesdeco2 software (from xdeco.org). I use that to feed planeplotter and my VRS as well as to send data to ADSBExchange. And via planeplotter on that same machine I'm feeding data to various other places.

On the RPI itself, it's feeding Flightaware and ADSBExchange using the FA ProStick.

So, one antenna, one preamp/filter, LMR-400 coax, a power divider, and then Windows + Airspy + ModesDeco2 / RPI + Pro Stick.

The Airspy wouldn't touch the performance of the FA Pro Stick when I wasn't using the preamp. When I added the preamp, it now performs better than the my FA Pro Stick setup. Although I can tell that I still could use / benefit from more amplication at the antenna end -- and am sure the Airspy would perform even better if i could do that. I'm only using 50 feet of LMR-400, but I have many different adapters and pigtails in line -- and between those and the length of the coax, I'm likely losing a few precious DB.

I have never used a Diapason, but I am told that it performs great, partially due to the amp built into the antenna. And that is also why they ship it with the coax they do.

I've never used a RadarCape and can't say anything about it.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks, mtindor I was looking at uputronics 1090Mhz ADS-B Ceramic Filter & Preamp HAB-FPA1090CER on your Mini-Circuits power divider ZAPD-2DC-S+ does that come with the power supply? I have a Lenovo M700 Intel Tiny desktop with WIN 7 Pro and PlanePlotter I’m old ADS-B Receiver was microADS-B IP receiver v.4 option3 Home it turns off if the outside temperature goes over 76 degrees Fahrenheit I had it for few years and it also is causing RFI on the 2-meter band in 30 foot radius of the unit

You can get N-connector or SMA-connector versions. Looks like Mini-Circuits' site is experiencing problems right now, but you can view the datasheet at ZAPD-2DC-S+ PDF Datasheet - Mini-Circuits - Datasheets360.com .

No, it's passthru. Depends upon power being injected into port 1 from downstream device. I simply bought it because I wanted to use one antenna for two separate ADS-B setups (Win / Airspy and RPI / dongle).

If you go the RTL dongle route, I know the FA sticks are nice, but you can get a dongle with bias tee for powering an upstream amp at rtl-sdr.com ( Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) - rtl-sdr.com ). I haven't tried one, but I am going to get one. My RPI is my main feeder, and I'd really prefer to have _only_ it hooked to the antenna, and remove my Airspy and the ZAP power divider from the scenario. And the dongle is cheap and I'm pretty certain is going to have reasonably similar specs to the FA sticks (sans the built in filter on the newer ones).

Mike

kma371

QRT
Thanks for the help kma371 I'm about 3 Miles ESE from Buchanan Field Airport in Concord

You probably have a good shot into Travis then. PM me if you need any help since I'm local.

SCPD

QRT
"was going to use Meinberg NTP software Free NTP Software and Drivers for Meinberg Products!"

That software is awesome. I run my own NTP server using a Garmin GPS puck for the NMEA sentences along with it's 1pps output for extreme accuracy to a serial port on the PC. The Meinberg server and client software work great. All my PC's use the client and hardware devices use the server IP address for it's time. No more relying on web NTP servers so I made my own and it was pretty simple. Great software for FREE, and even if it was not I would gladly pay for it.

qc

Premium Subscriber
You probably have a good shot into Travis then. PM me if you need any help since I'm local.

Thank you kma371 for the offer to help me I had a suspicion that you were local, have not heard the CCCO SO KMA371 since they switch to EBRCS and you are also right about Travis I can see traffic from E-6 Mercury C-5 C-17 and more also U-2 out of Beale

Take care

morfis

enclosure for Uputronics the only thing is the enclosure is Black, and the area I live gets in the upper 90-degree temperature
so I was thinking of painting it white or silver for solar sun reflection

None of your links seem to work here but I have several uputronics amps and none of them are in black enclosures - all are plain aluminium (or whatever you chaps over there call the stuff!).

I see no significant difference in ads-b decodes between units fed via the saw filter or ceramic filter versions despite being in a a very dense RF area.

qc

Premium Subscriber
Hi, morfis thanks for the reply do you have any photos of your enclosures or the manufacturer? I was looking at painting it silver or white for solar reflective thanks for the advice on the Filter

morfis

All four of mine are in enclosures like this (it's their photo but if necessary I can get one of mine at some point):

It's bare metal aluminium. External heat is hardly an issue over here but it would be easy enough to add extra fins to help with cooling.

There is a label on one side with the model/filter type.

Can't tell you much about the manufacturer other than they are based not too far from where I live and have been very responsive to e-mailed queries about a custom design I want. Delivery on the standard units was 'next day' but that is within the UK rather than international. The circuit boards are clean and well made.
If you want the 'wings' for mounting they are in my opinion expensive but for my custom amp I will stump up for them as it will be mounted under my desk rather than in a remote enclosure like the others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.