Help Please! Antenna issue, can’t receive anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 325p2 from a member here.

Using the stock antenna, I programmed in the NJICS system, and some analog stuff. Working 100%.

I decided to switch to my Radio Shack telescoping antenna(black and metal).

I took a trip upstate, and now thinking about it, left the antenna in the scanner, stupidly.

I tried to use the scanner on the Saratoga County P25 Phase 1 system, I was in range, and didn’t get one bar.

I tried tonight, now that I’m home to listen to the NJICS system, I’m in 100% signal range of Ramapo. No good. I can’t even get a CC lock. Only noise on the frequencies.

Both antennas work on my 996p2. And to be sure, I have a few radios with UHF/VHF analog conventional next to it. Nothing.

I have the stubby back in. I intermittently get this awful humming sound and it doesn’t even land on the channel being received?

Now what? Is the scanner broken? The BNC? Something internal?

Please help,

Nick

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with the 325P2, but any chance you are getting weather frequencies or even tune to a local radio station? That's probably the quickest way to tell if you have a issue with a busted BNC/connector, Antenna, or what not.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Not familiar with the 325P2, but any chance you are getting weather frequencies or even tune to a local radio station? That's probably the quickest way to tell if you have a issue with a busted BNC/connector, Antenna, or what not.

Thanks for the reply. Absolutely nothing.

I did searches up and the down the Public Safety band. Nothing.

Couldn’t even get the neighboring town lowband which comes booming in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Check and make sure the antenna connector on the radio didn't get damaged. Long/heavy antennas can damage the point where the antenna connector center pin is soldered to the board.

Also, were there any nearby lightning strikes? Even a nearby strike can induce enough energy to damage a radio. But I suspect you'd have other failures in your house than just your scanner.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Check and make sure the antenna connector on the radio didn't get damaged. Long/heavy antennas can damage the point where the antenna connector center pin is soldered to the board.

Also, were there any nearby lightning strikes? Even a nearby strike can induce enough energy to damage a radio. But I suspect you'd have other failures in your house than just your scanner.

Alright, I’ll check the connector.

The power did go out down the street affecting my house too, sometime yesterday morning. But everything else is working fine.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Two other things to try:
1. Reset the scanner.
2. Reload the firmware.
Make sure that you have the files available to reprogram the scanner before you reset it.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Lightning strikes are a possible cause but if you didn’t hear any thunder following immediately following the lightning flash, you probably didn’t experience a strike. But lightning is a funny thing... it can strike miles away and cause surges in phone and power lines that will damage household appliances and electronic gear.
That being said, I believe your issue has more to do with a bad antenna connection possibly caused by excessive strain on the connector. Checking the solder connection is a good first step. If the radio is under warrenty, send it in for repair instead... sometimes you may void a warrenty by opening it up yourself.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Lightning strikes are a possible cause but if you didn’t hear any thunder following immediately following the lightning flash, you probably didn’t experience a strike. But lightning is a funny thing... it can strike miles away and cause surges in phone and power lines that will damage household appliances and electronic gear.
That being said, I believe your issue has more to do with a bad antenna connection possibly caused by excessive strain on the connector. Checking the solder connection is a good first step. If the radio is under warrenty, send it in for repair instead... sometimes you may void a warrenty by opening it up yourself.

Ok thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.