Help please-Hum despite Ground Loop Isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoopernewsman

I am new - and recently began providing feed from Marquette County, MI.

I really think the scanner feeds are a great idea as I have listened to scanner 24/7 since age 16 in my job as news reporter.

Big problem is a hum in feed.
Thought the Radio Shack ground loop isolator would fix problem.
It did not.

I have tried it on three different computers and have moved scanner to different rooms.

Only other partial solution I could find online was stringing a wire (with alligator clips on both ends) from the ground post on my scanner to my computer (not very feasible in my case including I am not familiar with guts of scanner to even find ground post). It apparently only reduces hum.

Please help - I want to continue feed but feel no one will listen with hum.

any ideas - suggestions.

I have uniden bearcat BC350A

Thanks for your time,
Greg Peterson
906-401-0109

lbpd719

ground the two together using a length of wire with some eyelets on either end. (hopefully there are some metal portions of your scanner and computer you can use for this. Standard ATX style power supplies on the back of most machines have a good ground source. Just take out one of the 4 screws holding it in at the back. For the scanner, it would depend on the model/how its built.

digitalanalog

All uniden scanners have a slight hum to them when providing a feed/stream.
Unless it's really really bad and someone complains about it, i would not worry about it.

Those are just some of the small issues others have to deal with when they are listening to a FREE stream.

lbpd719

I am assuming you're talking about my new Cal Fire stuff - yes priority is on at the moment..
(Priority to our local agency) - a lot of my listeners are locals..

N

N_Jay

As said in the other thread. FIRST do some investigation to figure out what is causing the hum, and then fix THAT problem.

The "universal" ground loop isolator fix is a bit like putting a new battery in your car every time it does not start.

04Z1V6

Greg are you using a laptop? If so, run it on just the battery and see if it is your power supply that was my problem. I found that it was controled by the comupters electronics but was feeding back onto the 110v power and back threw the scanner sound via the output on the scanner. I cleard it all up by using a good surge protector that filtered all the noise coming back of the computers power supply.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I have a Uniden BC92XLT, and I also have a hum in my audio, but only when it rains. It is caused by my outdoor antenna (old tv antenna / tower). It is not loud enough to effect the audio, but during silence, its noticable. But no one complained about it yet! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.