Help please: SDR dongle error

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a second dongle for my Windows 11 setup. I have a powered USB hub and it installed it.
Attempted to change serial # so SDR would differentiate it but now I get the following error:

C:\Users\Timothy\Downloads\rtl-sdr-64bit-20221211\rtl-sdr-64bit-20221211>rtl_eeprom.exe
Found 2 device(s):
0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
1: Generic RTL2832U OEM

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_open error -3
Please fix the device permissions, e.g. by installing the udev rules file rtl-sdr.rules
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

Any help to solve this appreciated! I can't figure out how to to what it asks. I am not a noobie but not a whiz either. Thank you

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Close any other software currently using the dongle if you haven't done so already.
EDIT: Also, you need to send parameters to rtl_eeprom, it isn't going to do anything like without additional parameters.

Also, just might be a good idea to post here what you want to do with the dongle before you run it, let somebody proof your command or write one for you to rtl_eeprom before you run it, I'd hate to see yet another dongle get trashed on a bad flash.

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
The 1st older dongle is running the Sarasota node of the Manatee-Sarasota system...that has been working fine. I want to use the 2nd (new) one to run the manatee zone.

I tried changing the Serial # under rtl-eeprom then I got the error message. I didn;t think it was this difficult to add a second dongle...

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Okay, so, a lot of times, depending on the software, you really don't need to change the serial number, but sometimes you do. Its nice to be able to distinguish dongles. So, the general advice I give to people wanting to assign a new serial number (and only a new serial number) is to first unplug all dongles but the one you want to change. Then, when you've done that, open your terminal or command prompt in the folder with the rtl_eeprom tool (don't double click the exe), and run the command:

rtl_eeprom -s 00000002 or rtl_eeprom.exe -s 00000002

Don't get cute or fancy trying to give some name or something, the serial string expects an 8 character value in it, and preferably numbers, so I just say give it 8 numbers and nothing else. Also, do not attempt to use any other switch in rtl_eeprom, most people like to get cute with the other options and come here complaining when they have written garbage values to the vendor and product id, etc and wonder why the computer can't detect the dongle.

WARNING! If you don't feel confortable doing the steps above, then DON'T DO THEM!

Alternately, I believe there are some other windows tools out there that may be a bit more user friendly in this regard, somebody will come along and post them, fuzzy the pi guy or somebody.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Only have the dongle you wish to change the # on plugged in to make it easier for you

The 1st older dongle is running the Sarasota node of the Manatee-Sarasota system...that has been working fine. I want to use the 2nd (new) one to run the manatee zone.

I tried changing the Serial # under rtl-eeprom then I got the error message. I didn;t think it was this difficult to add a second dongle...

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
That was the problem...seems to be working! Thank you very much...I may have to add a second dongle to the Manatee as the frequencies run 855-859...not sure if I'll lose the upper edge...but at least I am running! Thank you again and happy holidays!

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
As I suspected I am missing calls in the 858-859 range so ordered another dongle...will change serial to 00000003 and then check playlist. there should be an option to use best tuner so it will use both to expand range. Thanks again for earlier help.