Help, please, with BCD396T scanner programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

edro

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I grew up with a dad who had HAM radios, scanners, etc. But sadly I didn't follow his much wiser footsteps. I see that now but as I'm nearing 70 years old. I don't think that I'm going to become a HAM radio operator.

I would at least really like to have a working scanner. I have a UNIDEN BCD396T scanner but not sure that I want to try to program it or update firmware.

Would someone please help me by programming my scanner to work in Maryland? I travel between grandchildren in Frederick and Carrol counties. I can offer something for your effort. I can pay for shipping both ways if you would look up what frequencies I need in Maryland and then program them into the scanner for me. It would also be nice to have a bank to include FRMS, GRMS, and other similar channels. (I have a list if I can find it!)

Thank you for considering this request.

Ed

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Since your a premium subscriber you can use free software, Freescan to program your radio, I use it.
It just doesn't support NXDN, DMR programming if you decide to do the upgrade.
You would need a windows computer to do it along with the proper cable since the 396's came with a serial cable. I use a usb-serial adapter with the cable. Alternately these can be programmed via the keypad. :)

Also has four how-to videos at the bottom, FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

For manual programming with the keypad these are 396XT's, but the 396t programs the same way-
This first video after he gets done would need to switch it to ID SCAN mode instead of ID SEARCH that way the scanner will only stop on talkgroups programmed in otherwise will be getting many talkgroups around the state. The encrypted one he put in the scanner will not stop or decode encrypted's.

If its a 396T- you have 396xt in the heading, the XT looks like my picture on the left.

396T limitations of 6.000 total memory, 200 talkgroups in a single system, no priority on any kind of trunked system, not phase II capable - same for 396XT. If your looking to get this system, it wont work as its phase II - First Responders Interoperable Radio System Team (FIRST) Trunking System, Various, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

It would work for 911 in Frederick since its phase I, Carrol is phase II so it wouldn't work on that other than it shows for fire pages on 155.055.
EDIT: as mentioned below about the public works in phase II mode,(can't get) and the 911's are in phase I mode(can get).

Both counties you mentioned. Anything under the MODE that is nxdn or DMR you can't get. Look at the bottom of each of these two links for each counties 911 systems and it will show the phase I and phase II's.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Many of the talkgroups on Carroll are operating in phase 1 mode.

In the database anything with a D in the mide column your scanner should work. The ones that list the mode as T are phase 2 and won't work with your scanner. Most of the phase 2 stuff is not public safety, but more like public works

Last edited:

edro

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies! I watched both videos. I'm still not feeling like I'll be able to do it myself. And as to age, well, not just that I'm almost 70. I'm also a cancer survivor, bone marrow transplant recipient, and generally not with very good health. The mind goes, too, with all that. So almost 70 but feeling like 80.

I remember my youth when I was on the CB radio. My handle was "Cave Man" since I enjoyed spelunking at the time. I'd make my voice warble to sound like the truck drivers in their 70's shake and bake cabs. (I was driving a ford with shocks and seats that had springs, so my voice wasn't warbling from a truck cab.) What a dummy I was! How does that quote go? "When I was young and foolish I was young and foolish."

If someone would program my radio for me I'd really appreciate it. And I can offer a little cash, too. Let me know if you are interested. If I can't get any help then maybe I'll get rid of the scanner.

Thanks,
Ed

edro

Premium Subscriber
In the database anything with a D in the mide column your scanner should work. The ones that list the mode as T are phase 2 and won't work with your scanner. Most of the phase 2 stuff is not public safety, but more like public works

Oh. I see that now. Yes, almost everything interesting is a 'D'. I guess I'd miss out on the Detention Center and the public works like roads. Won't be able to hear the snow plows cursing at the drivers on the road. Not missing much at all! Right?

wtp

edro, i sent a manual way to program your radio and at least hear something.
look for the little envelope at the top right of this page.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You will be OK with public safety in Carroll County. All of the public safety talkgroups are presently operating as Phase 1. Frederick County uses 2 sites. Unlike the 396XT, the 396T can use only a single site per system. You can set up 2 systems with the same talkgroups, one system using the Simulcast site and the other using the Brunswick site. You can select which system(s) and site(s) you are using with quick keys.

Last edited:

edro

Premium Subscriber
Wow. I've been out of it! I really like the home patrol 2 except it would be even better with a rotary volume control. I watched several YouTube videos about it. Expensive. But it looks like exactly what I need. I wonder how much I can get for my BCD396T ? I guess I need to get on eBay and sell it..

Ed

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I would hang on to it and program it with VHF/UHF ham repeater frequencies. It might encourage you to get your Technician license. The test questions are pretty easy (code is not required anymore).
Bill

edro

Premium Subscriber
That's a good idea. I just found the programming cable and serial adapter. (with the hope of selling it)

The first time I took the sample test I passed! (barely) I decided to study so that when I went to take the test in earnest I wouldn't /barely/ pass. After all, I passed the first time guessing at some of the answers.

So I studied for weeks, took the sample test again (random questions from a pool), and failed. What!? So I took it again and failed again. Just shows to go ya. After a few more weeks I gave up. Might sound like I give up a lot. Not really. Just that some things come more easily to me than other things.

Yeah - I'd like to get my Technician's class license. My dad had a general radio operator's license. My dad was cool! Here's a webpage that I made to honor him: In Honor of my Dad - Edward Rodatus

Well, I was hoping to offset the price of a home patrol 2. I was /needing/ to offset the price. Maybe I'll want for the home patrol 3 to come out. Then I'll get the 2 version used on ebay.

Thanks so much for all the discussion on this. I do really like the home patrol 2 now that I'm aware of it. I think that I might have heard of the version 1 when it came out but didn't pay attention to it.

Ed

edro

Premium Subscriber
Before I was even a teenager my dad tried to teach me Morse code. I know how to spell my first name in it. I wish they would let up on some of the other requirements. If I don't know something I know how to look it up on reliable sources.

I learned Fortran reading the IBM 360 Programming Reference manuals. It's easy when you know the right place to look. I see the Technician's Class license test as a test of my memory. It doesn't establish my resourcefulness or compliance to the law. I would comply with the law and I know how to look things up. But alas, I'm not in charge of doling out licenses. Hope my opinion and comments don't start any sort of flame here. My memory is shot -- that's the problem taking the test. That's all I'm really trying to say here.

edro

Premium Subscriber
Just put fresh batteries in my BCD396T. (just 3, not 48!)
20201115_120531.gif
I'd like to program my BCD396T to scan all the HAM repeaters in my area. Seems like something doable. Here's a collection of repeaters: (attached as Frederick Amateur Radio Repeaters.pdf )

Any tips? I tried entering one as a direct entry -- nothing yet..

Just

Attachments

• Frederick Amateur Radio Repeaters.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.