Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatherall

I recently purchased a gre psr 300 online. I am trying into listen into are local leos which use 159.060 which is a ( SCAT) . I can listen in but the channel makes a constant rining sound that only disapates when someone begins speaking the sound is this sound Control Sound of an EDACS Trunk System - YouTube can anyone help me figure out how to listen into this channel without that noise ?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You don't listen to the control channel. You scan the system and the control channel tells the scanner what to stop on.

It has to be programmed as an EDACS system and the frequencies must be in Logical Channel order.

It would help if you provide what system you are trying to monitor.

Gatherall

I can pick up the channel when I scan it just makes this sound constantly when no one is transmitting. When they talk the sounds goes away and resumes right after the person is finished.Control Sound of an EDACS Trunk System - YouTube I am trying to listen in on Ferryland which is a SCAT is my psr 300 have the ability to listen to this ? here is the link.https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3635. If so how do I program/what do I enter or type in. Im very new to scanning its quite confusing

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I can pick up the channel when I scan it just makes this sound constantly when no one is transmitting. When they talk the sounds goes away and resumes right after the person is finished.Control Sound of an EDACS Trunk System - YouTube I am trying to listen in on Ferryland which is a SCAT is my psr 300 have the ability to listen to this ? here is the link.https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3635. If so how do I program/what do I enter or type in. Im very new to scanning its quite confusing
According to the Wiki, the PSR-300 is not compatible with an EDACS SCAT system. The follow-on model, PSR-310, is, but not the 300. The PSR-500 digital trunk tracker would also work, as would it's Radio Shack branded stablemate the Pro-106 or the base/mobile versions of these (PSR-600 and Pro-197; B/M twin of the PSR-310 is the PSR-410).

While GRE is no longer around, Whistler acquired the intellectual property rights to their product line and is re-introducing some of the GRE scanners, with new model numbers and showing Whistler labeling. At this time, it appears that they are concentrating on new versions of the former PSR-500/PSR-600, plus a couple of low end conventional, analog only, non-trunking scanners, similar to the former PSR-100/PSR-200. Later on, the re-born PSR-800 will be marketed. While the digital scanners would work, the other two would not.

As for Uniden scanners, there are a number that will work with the system type you need, EDACS SCAT. Scanners (trunking) back to the BC250D/BC785D are compatible, as well as the current trunking models. Just click on a scanner model that indicates EDACS trunking in the chart then look at the section that's titled RR System Compatibility. Under that will be all of the system types the scanner can receive.
For the BC246T, you'll see:
System Types:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
LTR Standard

For your PSR-300:
System Types:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
LTR Standard

Bottom line- If you want to be able to monitor that specific system, tracking it correctly as a trunked system instead of listening to the control channel signal waiting for voice traffic to appear, you'll need to acquire a different scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.