Help! Problem receiving AM signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdohe

I just bought a handheld digital recorder that receives AM FM SW MW and other stuff. It can record up to 140 hours of high quality sound and play MP3 files.

ANYWAY, the problem is this - it works fine when using batteries, but it drains the batteries daily. The device can be powered by either the USB port on a computer, or by an AC adapter plugged into the wall. When using the USB port on the computer - there is no problem, however when plugging into the wall, there is so much interference with the reception of the AM signal that it is useless.

I have 3 ideas on how to fix this, please let me know which of these two solutions is better, or if you have another solution.

One is a 100 micro Henri RF choke sold by Radio Shack
100 µH RF Choke - RadioShack.com

the other is a snap choke core from Radio Shack
Snap Choke Core - RadioShack.com

and the third is a ferrite choke core from Radio Shack
Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core - RadioShack.com

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I have used the snap-together ferrite cores for several ham radio packet applications with great success. They are cheap nd make sure you wrap the cable around the core at least three times and tie wrap or tape it tight to the core body.

However, my applications were different then yours. I needed to stop my transmitted signal and computer noise from getting into other equipment in the shack. The noise you are experincing may be difficult to eliminate with anything external to the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.