Help Programing a Scanner Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin055

Hi, I found your forum while trying to look up some answers to a question I have.

Is there anyone here who can help me program or figure out what it is thats not getting through my head in relation to programing the channels for the NHP on a scanner.

I hope someone here can help me.

Thank you for your time.

Ronin055

Ok, Im trying to program a Radio Shack Pro-2055 Scanner for a friend. And I already did, a whole bunch of channels manually.

But the NHP channels have me stumped. On Freq of Nature, it says Decimal and AFS but the channels dont look like anything Ive programed so far. take this for example.

741 05-125 Nevada Highway Patrol - Las Vegas - Tac 1 [North]

What am I not getting here? Can anyone please help me? I mean how do I just manually program this into a Radio Shack police scanner.

TOUGHLIFE

If you have the manual for that Radio Shack trunking capable scanner I suggest you review the portion that deals with programming an EDACS trunked radio system. Follow those instructions carefully and you should be successful. Remember to program the site frequencies in proper LCN order and whatever talkgroups you want. I prefer AFS format when it comes to talkgroups. Also, be sure you read the section in the manual about open and closed mode scanning of a trunked radio system.
Programming an EDACS trunked radio system is very different from that of a conventional system and a bit different than a Motorola type trunked radio system. Good luck with the manual.

Ronin055

Thank you for the direction. Ill check that section.

Ill post back with results.

Ronin055

I guess Im super dense.

I read the section on trunking and programing 800MHz stuff.

However I dont see anything about the following layout.

Decimal AFS description
721........05- Nevada Highway Patrol

Cause thats what it looks like on the sheet I have printed but Im not getting, I guess, how that relates to the 800MHz Motorolla trunking system.

Ronin055

hold it. . . is this EDACS data and not motorola?

Im confused even more I guess. The manual for this scanner mentions EDACS and then goes DEEP on motorola. So maybe I got sidetracked.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If we look at the Nevada shared system, which I think is what you are programming...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=706

we see that this is not an Motorola system, but rather an EDACS system. Therefore, talkgroups are expressed in AFS format (xx-xxx) are the way to go here. AFS means 'agency fleet subfleet'.

There is another wrinkle. As this is a multi site system, it would be wisest to program only those site(s) that are closest to him, especially if your friend has no outside antenna. 73 Mike

Last edited:

sigint1

Was: joking
The 721 would be the decimal number of that talkgroup - and the 05-101 would be the AFS number of the talkgroup - like Mike said I would go the AFS - but another wrinkle that you should be aware of involving most Radio Shack scanners when programing EDACS systems - when you put the frequencies in the scanner in LCN order you must start with the SECOND channel of what ever bank you put them in - in other words 001, 101, 201 etc as the first channel in each bank of a Radio Shack scanner is zero (100, 200 etc) and EDACS systrem channels start with 1 - so the first frequency in LCN order must go in the second channel (one that ends in "1" so that it wil scan the system properly - Joe

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Also,when programming the edacs system,ALWAYS start with channel 1 not 0. Very important in order to trunk track properly!!

Ronin055

Thanks tons guys.

However, the manual doesnt cover AFS in the least. When I programed in the channels in the EDACS it didnt switch or offer any kind of ADS programing option. Am I supposed to ammend each channel with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.