Help programming clmrn

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
How would I go about programming the clmrn for Windham County? I know how to program the radio (sds200) but I dont understand exactly what to put in except for the frequencies. I use Sentinel. I am just interested in whatever I could receive from that area. The database has a ton of stuff scattered all over. Windham County isn't broken down into each individual towns so I dont know what to choose to append to favorites list. All I can find is the Troop D simulcast freqs. There are a bunch of other agencies. Would I go to the "State Police" listing in database and just pick troop D Dispatch to append to FL? It's got all the other troops in there too. I am not sure what other towns outside of Windham County can still be heard from troop D....Help...clueless!:unsure:o_O

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Of course the easiest way would be to use the automatic download feature where you simply choose what you want to program into your Sentinel program and then into your scanner. If you are programming manually, remember you only need the control channels, not every last frequency listed. You state you are merely interested to see what might be heard at your location… but you don’t mention where that is.

As far as the Ct. St. Police are concerned (as related to CLMRN), a general knowledge of the region is needed. What towns/cities are covered by the state police? Some towns have resident troopers who take phone calls and respond, hold regular office hours for routine business, etc. The phone will roll over to the Troop if the resident trooper is not available. I would imagine there are variances to this, customizing the duties to what works best. I don’t believe there are TG’s specifically assigned to a town’s resident trooper, maybe the resident trooper’s radio ID might. (I’m not the one to ask as I do not monitor much when it comes to them.) And, there are other duties that might get them a TG assignment such as when they augment a city police dept. in times of need.

I’d start by programming as a P25 Phase II trunked system, using “Control Channels” only, and use the “Search ID” function.

How would I go about programming the clmrn for Windham County?
Refer to this map for coverage areas:

and the database:

The troops that cover the area are C,D and K.

If you monitor in ID Search mode, you'll likely hear a bunch of stuff that's of no interest to you, such as bus traffic.

Good luck!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I live in RI and we occasionally travel over to CT. I thought next time I was there I would take scanner and listen to the CT system. I tried entering only control channels but I got the "nothing to scan" error. OK I forgot to check the SEARCH ID! I checked everything from checklist I made. So I went back into Sentinel and appended to the CLMRN FL a few different talkgroups.....then it started to scan. I doubt I would hear anything from my home cause I am too far away. I live in Cranston and even with an 800mhz yagi pointing west I dont hear a thing but do see CC activity on meter. We go kayaking in Danielson and then go exploring the antique shops in Putnam. Normally we dont travel beyond Danielson/Brooklyn/Putnam.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Are service types turned on for the talkgroups you want to hear? (reference "Tag" column in DB)
Yep got all service types on. I guess I will have to wait till I am over in CT to really test it out. I have radio in ID search mode. I know the RR coverage map for troop D is probably not too accurate, but I am outside the fringe here in Cranston. So next time I go to Danielson I will take radio and see what happens. But my main difficulty was trying to figure out what TG's to append since I am not familiar with the system.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Refer to this map for coverage areas:

and the database:

The troops that cover the area are C,D and K.

If you monitor in ID Search mode, you'll likely hear a bunch of stuff that's of no interest to you, such as bus traffic.

Good luck!
As stated by the OP, he just wants to know IF stuff can be heard. ID Search works for that… and once that is accomplished, he could remove or Avoid stuff like bus traffic. (Along with other TG’s that might be encrypted, not that he would hear them, the SDS series is supposed to ignore them, but the scanner might scan slower due to it first needing to identify that channel as encrypted before ignoring it.)

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Just program the control channel in as conventional analog Fm, no CTCSS. Open the squelch. See how strong you are hearing it, if at all. This will give you some indication on if you are in range of the system. If the control channel is too weak for the radio to decode, you are out of luck. Also, open the squelch all the way. The SDS radios have a very tight squelch even at #2 when it closes. I have many systems that I can hear perfect when the squelch is at 0 (or 1), but set at 2 and they are gone. I complained to Uniden and @JoeBearcat for a couple of years now for a fix but obviously we will never see another fix for these radios.

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
I mostly listen to the troop E site but hear E, F and K (neighboring troops) on E so I would assume u could hear D, E and C on D. also QV has 2 talkgroups for QV453 and QV460 that I assume would be on that site as well along with Woodstock fire and ems has a few. I hear Plainfield PD a lot on troop E even though there Actually in troop D area (prob due to a radio being close and affiliating to the troop E site) but if you put those in they would be a good start at least somthing to listen to.