Help programming Freescan; Uniden BCD325P2 for Burlington County New Jersey Fire response

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
I'm using FreeScan to program a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. Using the import tool and using radio reference importer from this site. Used the conventional at first but only get Central Fire dispatch, not the response channels.

Tried the Trunked system instead, but get garbled voice, almost as if it's encrypted, however I'm almost certain Fire doesn't go out encrypted.

Anyone else have this type of trouble? How can I tell when the info I'm downloading is up to date?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Checked Radio Reference and they show no encryption on the trunked P25 system for Fire. The conventional channels should work however. Not in your area, but maybe a call or visit to FD County Dispatch will help. Ask if the frequencies (other than dispatch) are reteaterized? They may be running simplex after being dispatched. Sometimes the dispatchers will announce what channel to report to after dispatched. If it’s a simplex frequency you may not hear it because you are too far away. Have you heard any chatter on dispatches local to your community?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Checked Radio Reference and they show no encryption on the trunked P25 system for Fire. The conventional channels should work however. Not in your area, but maybe a call or visit to FD County Dispatch will help. Ask if the frequencies (other than dispatch) are reteaterized? They may be running simplex after being dispatched. Sometimes the dispatchers will announce what channel to report to after dispatched. If it’s a simplex frequency you may not hear it because you are too far away. Have you heard any chatter on dispatches local to your community?
Correction to the last sentence; Should read “Have you heard and chatter on LOCAL dispatches AFTER the initial dispatch was transmitted… on secondary frequencies close enough for you to expect reception?

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for responding!

Yes I did hear LOCAL chatter, it was a slow night so I only heard it once though.

Ok so that means I'm only going to hear the responses back to Central if I'm closer enough to receive them?
I apologize in advance for being completely new to this. Thanks

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily… responses back to dispatch should be using the repeater, regardless of which town/city was talking. You should hear everything, regardless of where they are in the county… it they can “hit” the repeater, you will hear them. It’s when the fire units are using the simplex frequencies (commonly referred to as fire ground (FG), fire tac or fire talk, that require they be close to you.

There are commonly two types of transmissions when you listen to a conventional repeater system, simplex and duplex. Simplex uses one frequency and it’s referred to a “going direct”. It’s unit to unit, be it a handheld or mobile radio. The range is limited to how much power they have and the antenna used. So, you can assume the handheld radio won’t cover as much distance between units… the mobile radios run higher power and have better antennas on the VHF and UHF bands. Your county uses VHF. A duplex system adds a repeater into the mix by using two frequencies, I will call them channel A and channel B, an input frequency and an output frequency. All units transmit on channel A and recieve on channel B. The repeater recieves on channel A and rebroadcasts on Channel B instantaneously. Now, take that repeater to a very high spot within the county, a mountain top or a high building and run it at a higher power level than the mobiles and handhelds and you’ve dramatically increased the range.

Now, all I’ve written here is going with my assumption that only initial dispatches are repeaterized (duplex) and the responding units routinely switch over to another frequency (which is the single channel simplex, no repeater in the mix, once they tell dispatch they are responding. The fire units take care of the call, switch back to the repeater and inform dispatch the incident is over and they are returning to their station. They may say something like “Engine 305 returning, available for other calls or not available (they have to get fuel or repack the hose bed, etc). One last point… after the responding units have signed on the air with dispatch and switched to the secondary simplex frequency, at least one unit still needs to be able to hear dispatch should dispatch have additional info for them… like when a person is not accounted for and may be trapped inside a building, etc. so, the incident commander (IC) either has two radios, one listening on the dispatch frequency and another on the incident channel or a multi channel radio that scans both. Again, this may or may not be the way your county works. It’s just my best guess as to why you don’t hear some transmissions. There also is another possibility… some departments use a digital method of acknowledging dispatches where the responding unit just pushes a button that activates a “canned” message. The message may simply be programmed to read “Engine 305 responding” but it’s sent in a digital format and sounds like berapp, rapid firing tones. Dispatch has a “code reader” that scrolls the message on a screen. No voice audio is transmitted.

Again, asking the dispatch center to help you understand exactly how their system works will help you understand why you hear or don’t hear everything. You could also go to the RR Forums and look for regional forums which are listed by state and pose your question there. Doing so will probably get you someone who knows this system. But you should ask the administrator of this page to transfer you to the regional state forums page as RR does not like duplicate postings on additional boards. I’ve never asked to have that done so I’m no help on how you transfer your post.

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to ask officials here.
I volunteer as a photographer for the department, not enough importance to warranty a radio, I wouldn't want to pull recourses away from the first responders.

I do listen in with the "live feed" from broadcastify but that's on a huge delay. Having a live feed would be very useful.

When I'm in the station I can hear the responses. And yes they do give the units responding to the scenes different Response channels, however the units Don't switch to that until they are on the fire ground. That for ground talk you can't hear over the central broadcast.

They will respond back to Central with "Engine X arriving", that's broadcast out. First at the scene will also give a report that goes can be heard on broadcastify. That's the info I really need as most times I'm responding from home.

With the info you have me I should be able to ask better questions, also it helps me understand a little better how systems like this work, which hopefully will get me closer to my goal.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a file for the Burlington County trunked system to get you started. If you hear garbled audio, it will be due to simulcast distortion. The second file is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys on the scanner. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Quick keys as follows:
SYSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. Burlington North (Site)
2. Burlington South (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. BurlCo Services
2. BurlCo Interop
3. BurlCo Emerg Ops
4. BurlCo Fire/EMS
5. Rowan Coll Burl

Attachments

• Burlington Co NJ FS.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 13

X9009X

LMV what District or Town are you listening from? The County does simulcast through a console patch between 154.220 and TG 3216 on both North and South Systems.
If your on the fringe of the system or have simulcast distortion it may affect your receiving operation.
PM me and I will be more than happy to answer questions and assist you.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Surprisingly, I've had good luck with the BCD325P2 scanner on the Burlco P2 system. Where are you listening from? What antenna to you have on the scanner. I use a 700/800 band specific antenna, it helps a little.

I set Freescan so it only downloads the clear channels, fire, ems, and some other stuff that uses the system in the clear.

My area around Medford seems to be void of simulcast distortion, several scanners I have receive the system loud and clear. Going mobile, it gets bad in certain areas when using scanners.

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
OK, so I have a little more time today to look at what's going on here this morning. I have a lot of traffic so that makes it easier to hear and see the frequencies.

First, I'm in Cinnaminson NJ. District 20

I can hear the Responce channels and Central.

What I am seeing as coming in as garbled is the encrypted law enforcement. Dec listings 3101-3112. However I specifically did not load those channels to the scanner.

I'm guessing that because LE is using the same main repeaters is the reason why that I'm picking it up.

Maybe I need to deliberately include those channels but instruct the scanner to block them?

Not 100% sure how to do that with Free scan.

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
The encrypted law enforcement frequencies are not included in the FreeSCAN file I attached. Just use that file and you will be good to go.
Thank you!

I did find the lockout button. New to this so I just tried it. I did input the law enforcement talk groups in the scanner then locked them all out. That seams to have worked.

What I still don't understand is the feed that the fire house gets, same as what Broadcastify sends out but in real time. They have all dispatches and the responses coming over the air. The scanner can miss some of that traffic as it's going up the channel. I'm thinking that there might be a talk group that broadcasts them all together, no?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The county may be using conventional frequencies for fireground operations. If they are, you will hear only activity close to you unless you have a good outside antenna. Are you able to hear all of the dispatches OK on the trunked system or are some garbled? You may be suffering from simulcast distortion on the trunked system. If you would like, I would be very happy to do another file for you with all of the conventional frequencies.

lmvphoto

Premium Subscriber
The county may be using conventional frequencies for fireground operations. If they are, you will hear only activity close to you unless you have a good outside antenna. Are you able to hear all of the dispatches OK on the trunked system or are some garbled? You may be suffering from simulcast distortion on the trunked system. If you would like, I would be very happy to do another file for you with all of the conventional frequencies.
nope, it's fine. I have what I need now. As soon as the responce channel is broadcast I can switch to that and hear what I need. I did find another channel that wasn't listed that must be encrypted, it is just a simple matter to input the channel in the scanner and lock it out.

At this point I was just more curious on how the system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.