Help programming radio for a friend in SC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootyhunter

Hello,
I'm programming a scanner for a friend that lives in Prosperity SC, in Newberry County. He would like to be able to receive the local Law Enforcement, Fire and EMS/Rescue and possibly the State police. I live in Tennessee, I don't know anything about that area radio wise. I have looked at the database here on RR but I know that the database for TN shows the old now defunct frequencies as well as the 800mhz system that we have gone to in my county several years ago. Before I program a bunch of useless stuff in the scanner I just wanted some info from some local guys that could steer me the right direction. I have an older but still great working Uniden bc 245xlt trunk tracker 2. It should be able to do whatever they are on there I would think. Thanks again for the help in advance!

Lew

Programming help for SC

Go to the RR database and look up SC. Most all police; SCHP and fire Depts are on the Palmetto 800 smart zone system . Most of the agencies are analog. There are a few that are digital. It has 61 sites and is statewide.

Lew in Lexington, SC

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
A BC245XLT will work for most local agencies in Newberry Co. Even though there are talkgroups listed for Newberry County agencies on the Palmetto 800 page, the conventional VHF and UHF frequencies are the primary systems used.

The BC245XLT does not support rebanded 8000MHz Motorola trunked systems, so he'll be out of luck for monitoring the Palmetto 800 system and its users, including the SCHP, among others.

you can program it to pickup the pal 800 tower for newberry county all you have to do is program them manually in fm mode and it will work fine but the only thiong is he will pickup everything on the tower includeing the annoying motor boat noise of the digital signals but other than that it will work my brither has the same scanner and when the Effingham site rebanded I just programed the freqs in in and put it into fm mode not motorola mode and it works fine so just take it out of mot mode and program it in fm mode and it should work

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
This statement is certainly true. But I think it's worth noting that this method defeats the usefulness of the "trunk tracking" feature of the scanner. That fact might be lost on a new hobbiest, and might be the source of frustration and disappointment.

If the goal is to listen to local LE, EMS and FD operations in Newberry Co, that scanner should work fine.

you can program it to pickup the pal 800 tower for newberry county all you have to do is program them manually in fm mode and it will work fine but the only thiong is he will pickup everything on the tower includeing the annoying motor boat noise of the digital signals but other than that it will work my brither has the same scanner and when the Effingham site rebanded I just programed the freqs in in and put it into fm mode not motorola mode and it works fine so just take it out of mot mode and program it in fm mode and it should work

Bootyhunter

Ok thanks everyone for the replays. I did see the information in the database but I just know how some in my own area are no longer active but still listed. I just wanted to know if anyone was actually monitoring in that area. Thanks again. I will program the scanner and send it down there and see what happens. I appreciate everyone's time and replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.