Help programming scanner for Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Before anyone can answer your question, which scanner do you need help getting programmed and what do you want to monitor?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I want to listen to the alien moon base radio traffic! To answer his question though I'm sure there are lots of folks in INDY who can program a scanner.

bmac65

I am also in the Indianapolis Indiana area ( Marion County)

Hello,
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to program my scanner.
My objective is to monitor: Marion County Policy, EMT, Fire , Rescue and any additional law enforcement , health agencies ( Homeland Security) that my device ( or a better device) is capable of receiving.

My current transceiver is not able to do this (YAESU FT-4x). However, I am entertaining the purchase of ….Will purchase either a YEASU FTM – 100DR Transceiver, or a UNIDEN BCD536HP Scanner.

The issue / question… I was told these services are now encrypted and therefore they are not able to be scanned and listened. However, on my phone app (5-0 Radio) I can monitor these stations.

When I research RadioReference.com, I get the following information
Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
851.35000WNNM854RM263 NACMEC-TA1-DDepartment of Public Safety - Digital TalkaroundP25Interop
851.35000WNNM854RM88.5 PLMEC-TA1-ADepartment of Public Safety - Analog Talkaround (Fall Back)FMInterop

These have a Mode of P25, FMN does this mean these are encrypted and not able to be scanned, and monitored?
Also,
Does someone know of the correct Frequencies for these agencies, that are not encrypted?
Many thanks,

AK9R

Super Moderator
To monitor the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety radio system, you need a scanner or receiver that is capable of decoding P25 trunking data and P25 digital voice. That excludes any transceiver made by Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu and marketed for amateur radio use.

Some talkgroups on the IDPS system are encrypted, but most are not encrypted. Note that digital voice is not the same as encrypted. A signal can be digital voice and not be encrypted. Scanners that can decode P25 trunking and P25 digital voice are readily available. Note that it is illegal to decode encrypted signals.

@bmac65 The database listings you included in your post are simplex frequencies used for talkaround purposes. The first one is P25 digital voice and the second one is analog voice using narrow FM (aka FMN). But, these talkaround frequencies are not used for day-to-day dispatch and operations. To monitor the agencies you listed, you will need to monitor the IDPS system.

bmac65

I am also in the Indianapolis Indiana area ( Marion County)

Hello,
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to program my scanner.
My objective is to monitor: Marion County Policy, EMT, Fire , Rescue and any additional law enforcement , health agencies ( Homeland Security) that my device ( or a better device) is capable of receiving.

My current transceiver is not able to do this (YAESU FT-4x). However, I am entertaining the purchase of ….Will purchase either a YEASU FTM – 100DR Transceiver, or a UNIDEN BCD536HP Scanner.

The issue / question… I was told these services are now encrypted and therefore they are not able to be scanned and listened. However, on my phone app (5-0 Radio) I can monitor these stations.

When I research RadioReference.com, I get the following information
Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
851.35000WNNM854RM263 NACMEC-TA1-DDepartment of Public Safety - Digital TalkaroundP25Interop
851.35000WNNM854RM88.5 PLMEC-TA1-ADepartment of Public Safety - Analog Talkaround (Fall Back)FMInterop

These have a Mode of P25, FMN does this mean these are encrypted and not able to be scanned, and monitored?
Also,
Does someone know of the correct Frequencies for these agencies, that are not encrypted?
Many thanks,
Note,
I don’t need to have my device programed, but would like some direction / assistance if someone can help.

1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)? Ans. All the above if possible
2. Where are you located? Indianapolis, Indiana ( about 5 miles east of downtown indplis.)
3. What is your budget? Device already procured, device make & model mention above
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you? Somewhat
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld? both
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)? yes
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna? yes
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST ( just need the correct freqs.)
A. Where you are. Indianapolis Indiana in the 239
B. What type Scanner you have. Device already procured, device make & model mention above
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION. Software, FT-4X Programmer V6.1.1
D. What problem you are having. Unable to identify the correct freq for these services….

AK9R

Super Moderator
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION. Software, FT-4X Programmer V6.1.1
That's the programming software for your Yaesu FT-4X. That radio can't receive and decode the IDPS system.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Yaesu FTM-100DR - No, as I stated in the first paragraph of post #7 of this thread.

Uniden BCD536HP - Yes, though you may experience simulcast distortion depending on where you are and what antenna you use.

bmac65

I also want to express my gratitude for you taking the time to provide me with this information. I am just now getting started in this exciting space and really appreacte you pointing me in the right direction. Observing the current situation in our state / world... really drives home the importance of this method of communication and how important of a role you guys play in being the ears of society !
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.